Being sick

KerrieG

When I first started Metformin, I posted on here that I was getting an upset stomach. That stopped fairly quickly...only to be replaced by being sick. It happens once or twice a week usually with me feel nauseous most of the time after eating. It does tend to happen if I eat certain foods such as too much fat. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and/or a way to fix it? I do love my food but at the moment its making me not want to eat for fear of throwing it all back up! :(

mazbee

Hi Kerrie,

I have had no problems with my metformin, but I know some people do.
Do you know if you are taking slow release metformin? as this sometimes reduces or alleviates the upset tummy problems.

Also do you take your metformin before or after you have eaten? I tend to take my metformin after I have eaten

Have you been back to see your Dr. or DN regarding this problem? they may be able to help you with this issue.

KerrieG

I'm not on the slow release metformin, just the normal one at the moment. I usually take it after breakfast and after my evening meal. Mangaged to get a drs appointment for the 14th of Jan....had to wait nearly a month for it!!

lusty2

Hi Kerry I'm a type 2diabetic for the last 12 years.I have been in denial and now I'm starting to have nerve damage because of it.I take 3 metformin a day along with other meds.I get sick once in a while and can feel quite nauseous.I don't actually think it's the metformin that does it.I think if you maybe eat too many refined sugars and carbs can do this to you.would be worth noting down when you are sick.what you have been eating and see if there is a pattern to it.when I have been naughty I tend to become sick the following day.hope this helps

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also a type 2 on metformin SR at first I was sick after about 15 days but now I am sick occasionally maybe with a 6 month gap I have kept a record of what I have eaten what my BGs have been and any thing else that I could think of that would give me an idea what triggered the sickness but I cant find anything at all .The only thing that is the same is the Met .Can anyone solve the mystery I mentioned it to my GP but he was as stumped as I am
CAROL