Job interview.

Pastell

I had an interview for a job today, I'm qualified and certified to carry out the work. As soon as I mentioned "diabetes" the interview was essentially over.

He'd read in a newspaper recently about a person who had not taken his insulin and was involved in a fatal accident, I tried to explain the problems with that story but, the newspaper story had the drop on me, I mean, what do I know!!!
Someone, somewhere, needs to get out there and tell it like it is.

Davears

this sounds like discrimination to me, and illegal. The sad thing is ...if you pursued it im sure the employer would say it wasnt down to diabetes. I have experienced this myself in the past. I have to say these days whenever im attending anything where my health condition might be questioned I carry a voice recorder as evidence. sad that this needs to be done, yet its helped on a few occasions now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Because of people's reactions like this I don't tell people at interviews I'm diabetic. I see it as its hard to get a job these days and there is so much competition in getting one the slightest thing will put an employer off!

Davears

that to is an option, yet does have a pitfall. if an employer finds out youve failed to disclose this, its grounds for instant dismisal .. guess theres no great way to handle it. damned if you do, damned if you don't.

l0vaduck

Davears said:
that to is an option, yet does have a pitfall. if an employer finds out youve failed to disclose this, its grounds for instant dismisal .. guess theres no great way to handle it. damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On what grounds?

Pastell

l0vaduck said:
Davears said:

On what grounds?

Possibly on the grounds that you failed to disclose relevant medical information for insurance purposes. Quite apart from that, personally, I want to be completely frank about my condition. This is the first interview I've had where I never got the job and that annoys me. I will however learn from it and move on. I'm not ill, I have a condition that's more treatable than bloody dandruff, any employers reading this, take note!!

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may be wrong but i was under the impression that you do not need to disclose diabetes at interview as it comes under DDA

Pastell

Some very useful information, I felt I had to disclose for insurance purposes. I had to tell my own insurance company when I was diagnosed.

Davears

its my understsnding that all questions on aplication forms have to be answered honestly, failure to do so can be used to sack someone. since most aplications have medical questions it would be considered a lie to fail to disclose

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
The following guidance might be helpful: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... nw&cad=rja

Generally speaking, it is best not to lie or fail to disclose on an application form. However, there is no obligation to disclose anything that you are not asked - on a form or at interview.

Regards

Doug

lottiep

Can completely sympathise, I have uncontrolled epilepsy and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 2 years ago, employers don't want to touch me with a barge pole. Although I am apparently covered by DDA it means nothing, the interest dwindles rapidly as soon as health gets mentioned. A job contract was withdrawn last year and when we sought advice regarding discrimination was told by the CAB that whilst they believed discrimination had taken place proving it would be virtually impossible and ultimately costly on our part as we would have to pay legal costs so I just had to accept it and walk away. It sucks big time. Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App