How would you handle this? Work colleagues taking the mick!

sassysaltire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sugar! Petty people, trolls, bullies, discrimination
I have worked in my current job in an office for over 6 years. Everyone knows I am diabetic and no one has any issue... Or so I thought!

We were moving to a new larger office and I requested that I get a more private desk so that I could continue to do my insulin injections (in my stomach) without offending everyone. Well I opened a can of worms as some of my colleagues thought I was using it as an excuse to hide and "surf the net" instead of working. So now I am sitting out in the open and feel very exposed and have now taken to going to the loo or waiting till people nearby have gone for lunch before injecting. Anyway I have brought up the disability discrimination rules with our HSE and she not happy with situation.

I went back to work today after the festive break and now one person makes flippant (?) comments about me not wanting to eat the constant stream of cream cakes and chocolates that get brought in but I just shrug it off, but today was different there was malice in the comments... And I feel that she is taking the mickey!

She announced "oh i MUST have chocolate" and started taking chocolates from a box that was near her, then minutes later she loudly said "oh I must have more chocolate" she ate some more then again "oh I MUST Have chocolate" Then she said " oh my blood sugars must be low ha ha ha" and her buddy next to her started giggling... I just ignored her comment and thought god how ignorant and stupid you are! Then later our overall boss came over and started eating the chocolates and turned to me and said "oh YOU won't be joining us in these then?" To which the gaggle all started giggling!!

Now call me over sensitive but why after over 5 years is me being diabetic and preferring not to stuff myself with chocolate and make myself feel ill is this now a team sport and entertainment?? I feel different and don't wish to be treated so! :(

Coincidentally this is after when I arrived today she said "ooh you look like you have lost weight" (she was very overweight and now is almost stick insect)

How would you deal with these petty, ignorant people? I mean I even take in chocolate when I come back from holidays for them, I just don't eat it!! :roll:

papagran40

Re: How would you handle this? Work colleagues taking the mi

Hello easysaltire , you answer your question yourself...at the end of your post...

How would you deal with these petty,gnorant people?

they are just that , ignorant , stop being nice to them , tell them to go away and learn about the subject before they start saying nasty things...just be firm with them , these people are not friends...if needs must , report them to aa higher authority at work....
hope this helps a little.....papa.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I am sorry you are having to endure the cruel teasing of fellow employees. My first perverse thoughts were that I would bring in a large box of diabetic chocolates and insist that they tuck in and enjoy. We all know about the after effects of over-indulging in diabetic chocolates. But being sensible it seems best to ignore their playground teasing in the hope that they get tired of it. If they fail to desist then you should report the offenders to Human Resources department if you have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Davears

I agree with the above, its down to ignorance and a complete lack of understanding! im a bit of rebel me, use to be terrible as a younger lad, yet now im 38 its just part of who I am.
So id guess id do one of two things- quitely pull the ring leader and tell them I've had enough and if it keeps up their will be consequences. or start emailing everyone concerned the companys anti discrimination/bullying policies.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

sassysaltire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Hiya Papa, yeah I kind of though I answered it myself, just bow very confused, it's just I have never felt different until now, but I feel on reflection this is why I get the menial tasks at work.... Because I am obviously seen as disabled, that I can deal with as they are just not educated or thoughtful people, but it feels like if we had an anorexic or bulimic in the office they would take great delight in waving food around in front of them or forcing them to eat!

I think that it's her deep seated issues with food that are her problem and not mine... Just wish I would listen to myself more often and believe in me! This has given my self confidence a bit of a knock! Paranoid about being diabetic now :roll:

Thanks for your words, nice to know you ain't alone :D

Reactions: 2 people

sassysaltire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Hi Abersilva and Davears, thanks for reply. We have a major problem with bullying and playground behaviour in our workplace, but the management just ignore it and in some cases join in! I guess I need to grow a thicker skin...or get even.

The diabetic choccy idea is a good one though!! :evil:

I will persevere and see if its just cos we back to work but if it persists I do need to go higher.

Thanks folks :)

sassysaltire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Apologies Ambersilva got your name wrong! Not intentional, blooming ipad autocorrect etc and failing eyesight lol :lol:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, Sassysaltire, :)

I think your so called boss has made a very bad judgement of a serious bullying incident in the workplace.

You could give him the opportunity to put things right,

Show him in writing exactly what is happening , then give him a short time to respond before you take you take further action.

Your work friends have not realized the damage they have done.

You must firstly give them a chance to get things back to a happy environment for all parties.

Hope it works out good for you.

Roy, :)

sassysaltire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Hi Roy, unfortunately my boss is the one who made the comment about "you won't be joining us" so anything that's said falls on deaf ears, i feel that i am a joke in their eyes so i just ignore them as much as possible and and thankful that I have a job, there have been many incidences of bullying in our workplace and its just brushed under carpet because its gone on so long :(

Will talk to HR and see what thy think. It's upset me. But thank you for your support, it's appreciated. :)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Start a diary and log every instance with time, date, what was said by whom and how it made you feel / affected your work. You will need specific details if you want to take it further and lodge a complaint. HR ought to be interested if you prove it is affecting your efficiency and capability in your job.
Good luck in sorting it.
And next time they start stuffing chocolate tell them that is how you caught diabetes in the first place! Not true I know but at their level of ignorance of the situation it might make them think! I would be tempted with the diabetic chocolates too, hee hee!
Regards
Angie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think your problem might stem from your bid to get a more secluded desk. I was a staff manager for years and there was never a more competitive situation than the one where an office move occurred. Tape measures came out, unions were involved and much opinion was aired. Having diabetes and using the fact for a secluded desk would not evoke sympathy since in such times no prisoners were ever taken.

In their eyes your request is probably seen as a gambit and they will trot out their corns, bad legs and backache if they were able to.

What they are doing is unfair and you could take the paths suggested above.

I wonder what would happen, though, at the appropriate time if you stood up, lowered your waist band and injected yourself as though it were the most natural thing in the world. If you can manage a bit of blood all the better. I guarantee that there will be a move to stop you doing that within minutes. Obviously you wouldn't want to go to the toilets to inject due to the risk of infection. Testing your blood and accidentally smearing it on the stapler would be good too.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh what an evil idea, Squire ... I lOVE IT!

I'd like to be a fly on the wall to watch their faces :lol:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !

Or eat one of their chocolates then pass out all over one of their desks, frothing at the mouth, if possible.
Claim that you have been poisoned and call the police and a doctor.
Bit OTT but you get the point !

Superchip

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

This was always a fear of mine when James was diagnosed how would he be treated by others, but I must admit everybody and I mean everybody to date has been wonderful and James is always made to feel part of anything that is going on with school and his friends and they make allowances for times when he has to do his insulin and will wait for him, in fact they are very intrigued as to what he does.

Of course as he gets older, there's college, Uni and workplace to go through.

I really do sympathise with what you are going through as I know there can be bad feeling, resentment and jealousy in my workplace.

I must admit I would love to take in a box of diabetic chocolates to give to some of my so called colleagues some time. :lol:

Hope you get it resolved x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As a follow on from the above I did, of course, have at least one diabetic on the staff. I only found out when I asked his manager why he wore that bag thing round his waist. His manager said that the man was diabetic and he kept his kit in the bag. As far as I can remember nothing else was ever mentioned on the subject.

The man in question sought no privileges, received none from me and he just got on with it. His workmates accepted him completely.

My lot sound a bit more civilised than your lot.

rayraysopp

First and foremost, this is bullying. You need to address this either at work with your HR department or take it further if necessary.

Secondly, you're right, if your employer and colleagues are not taking this seriously, then it's discrimination. Then for them to sit there and make jokes? They can't pick and choose when you have diabetes! They need to accept it and put in the provisions for you, not laugh it off when you ask for something more than reasonable and then throw it back in your face like you're making a show and dance of it.

Lastly and more importantly, in the 21 years that I've had diabetes, I have learned one thing and that's that diabetes doesn't make you different, certainly not in the way they're making out anyway. You certainly aren't "disabled". I'm a zoo keeper for crying out loud! It's never stopped me and I'm just as capable as my colleagues. Yes sometimes I might take a bit longer or need a break but otherwise you'd never know. I'm very very fortunate that my employer goes out of their way to make my life easier and have all done research into diabetes and pumps so that they can better understand my condition and help me if I need it. I just hope you get something out of this. It's disgusting. They all need to go back to school and learn some manners and the basics of bullying if you ask me!

Good luck! x

PetiteSJ

Hi I've been in your situation about 5 years ago I know how demoralising it feels I worked for a big retail company :coughs: tk maxx I was doing really well there then I found out my so called work colleagues had been taking the proverbial out of me behind my back accusing me of faking low blood sugars to finish early amongst other things I had to physically show the on duty management my readings to prove I was really having a hypo!!

Things took a turn for the worst when a floor manager became acting store manager he used to say "have a bit of chocolate I want to see what happens" he took great delight in the fact that I couldn't eat the chocolate in the vending machine "ha ha you can't have that you're diabetic" to say I was speechless is an understatement & his defining moment was saying to me that the training the previous store manager had arranged for me which would have resulted in a promotion had been cancelled as he thought in his words "I wouldn't be able to handle it with my condition" needless to say I'd been ground down for so long by the pettiness & small minded plebs there that I was signed off by my Dr & I'm still petrified about working :-(

I found out too late that I could have sued for discrimination & bullying if I were you I'd go to HR say that if nothing gets done about the situation, the bullying etc you will be considering legal action, no company wants that to happen if youre part of a union speak to your representative or go to your local CAB please do something otherwise once they've pushed you out they'll find a new target they are pathetic they need to prey on others to make themselves & their boring empty lives that tiny bit more colourful but once threatened with something serious it might give them that slap around the face to open their eyes that it's not ok, it's not big, its not clever & they're pathetic, ignorant, blinkered a**eholes

I truly hope you get somewhere with this & never ever end up being like me too petrified to work for fear of it happening again & I so want you to have the satisfaction of putting those lower life forms firmly in their place :-D

karen 1075

I can sympathise with you a little as my manager says I'm taking extra breaks to take my insulin. We don't have set breaks we can brew and go to the loo when we want so I make a point of arriving in work 5 minutes early so I'm not taking any extra time as they say.

It does annoy me though as I feel other staff can spend as long as they like in the loo

I've took to keeping a diary which I take home with me each night as someone has been in my draw at work as things had moved.

lippymk1

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi, this is an awful way to get treated! I have been discriminated against in just about every job I have had! From employers huffing and puffing when I have needed to take a break to having to take 5 minutes less for lunch cos of going to the loo more often when first diagnosed and not knowing how to control it! I have even been sacked for having diabetes, being told my diabetes was scaring the other staff by a boss who thought he knew everything about diabetes including what I could and couldn't eat!
My last job was a senior sales assistant in R S McColls where I had to fight for every hospital appointment to change my day off and often cancelled the appointments rather than having to raise my head. I subsequently had to give up my job there cos of diabetic retinopathy where my eyes are both bleeding and doing the job was making them worse!
If I were you in your situation though I would not be secretive about taking insulin! I would do it in the open and not care who was watching or who it might upset because for us it is a life or death situation! If we don't take our insulin we will die!
I also totally object to people thinking we have singled ourselves out for having diabetes to get attention or something! I also have coeliac disease and quite frankly would rather be "normal"!!!
Good luck but try and stay calm and realize it is them who have the issues and not yo

tommybhoy50

U should leave ur fone on voice record so u have date's n time when it happen's ;)

galaxy ace