Can anyone recommend books on diabetes?

MrsG1

hi,
My husband has just been diagnosed with diabetes and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a couple of good books to read on the subject. I would like to find a not too scary book to buy him so he can start reading up on it.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gary Scheiner's Think Like A Pancreas is pretty good, although it is geared to diabetics on insulin.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Although it may not suit everyone, I still rate Dr. Richard Bernstein's " Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" I've had mine a number of years and it's an American edition so all units in mg/dL I don't even know if there is a British edition. anyway the units are very easy to convert.
this isn't a book to sit and read through. Much more a dip in to find answers kind of book.
I'd also recommend searching David Mendosa's website.
It's HUGE. and he cross references everything so you can follow what you want to look up too.
Hana

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Another small yet useful book for newly diagnosed diabetics who wish to count Carbohydrates as part of their diet control is the 'Collins Little Gem carb counter' book,quite cheap on Amazon and easy to carry around for use when buying loose foods in the supermarket that do not have a nutritional value label on them.

MrsG1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0956443052/ref=pe_217191_31005151_dp_1

I ordered this and another book off amazon before posting this thread.

MrsG1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1841198048/ref=pe_217191_31005151_dp_1

This one. Has anyone read/used either?

eggplant

I read the one you ordered on Amazon Type 2 Diabetes - The First Year by Gretchen Becker.

Bought it first week I was diagnosed. It was a godsend! It's a bit technical in places, so best to treat it as a dip in and out rather than a read through - although both ways work. I'd recommend this book highly to anyone just recently diagnosed with Type 2.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner is a must for those with type 1, a good reference for carbs etc is The Calorie Carb & Fat Bible 2012.

eggplant

Yes Mrs GI

That book literally saved my sanity. I'm still in my first year of diabetes (diagnosed last May). I'm now controlled by diet and exercise only but when I was first diagnosed, I was immediately put on insulin 2 x a day, plus Metformin, and told to test my BG levels 5 x a day. After 2 months I was able to come off insulin and in December I was able to come off the tablets.

I was going on holiday two days after I was diagnosed and the whole thing felt completely manic, I must say. My initial BG levels were really high and my eyesight was totally blurry with fluctuating BG levels (partly due to the insulin) and I thought I was going blind - the book soon put me right on that. Ha! Ha! I took the book on holiday with me and was glad of it when my eyes were good enough to read. I like that the book is written as a timeline, taking you through the first days, weeks, months, year, etc. Gretchen is American but other contributors have provided additional info on the UK and the NHS, etc.

This forum has also been a godsend and I can honestly say I've learned most of what I needed to know, and been comforted most, by reading and being able to share experiences with others on here, although I did just lurk and read for about four or five months post-diagnosis. :)

Hope all goes well with hubby as he negotiates his new diagnosis.

MrsG1

Thanks. :)

He has had his blood tests this morning and seeing the doc on the 17th of jan. I don't think it has really hit him yet as he thinks he'll just have to cut out some sugar. We're going to sit down once he's woken up and have a chat about it all.