How many carbs do u eat a day

Twinkle1710

Hi could someone give me a idea as to how many carbs they eat per day. I have just started carb counting and having really good results with BS if around 6 -7. I find some low carb foods make by BS go really high for some reason like weetabix if I have 2 my BS is above 11 mid morning but if I have 1 it is 6 for some reason. Anyone else found food that des that to them for no apparent reason. Thanks

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I avoid all starchy carbs such as bread, pasta, rice, potato etc and have around 40g carbs from veg and nuts.

hallii

Firstly, everybody varies as to how many carbs they can eat, and the type of carbs makes a big difference as you have found out with Weetabix, most cereals are quite high in carbs and quickly turned into sugars in the body. They tend to be High Glycemic Index foods, and many contain extra sugar.

What you need are Low GI foods that are low or medium carbohydrate. The list is a long one so I will let you do a bit of research, but stuff like berries, almond flour porridge, eggs, Greek yogurt, Burgen linseed and soy toasted bread and so on are the sort of breakfast foods to eat.

So, eating low GI carbs will let you eat more of them, and almost all foods contain some.

I eat about 100 grams of carb a day, but this is mainly low GI carbs, Vegetables, some fruit, cheese. vegetable protien
(I am a vegetarian) pulses plus what's already been mentioned and other foods.

You just have to test 2 hours after eating and see how a food affects you, if it's OK then you can eat that and you don't have to test again because you know how it will affect you.

Some people go as low as 30 grams of carb a day, some can manage 150 grams or more it just depends on so many things.

Exercise makes a big difference, I can eat a lot more carbs if I do a lot of exercise, if I just sit and do nothing then I have to be careful.

H

makka

I keep below 200, and under 150g a day if I can.

I cant seem to get lower than that and still be eating similar to the rest of the family, we have an under two and a four year old who need the carbs. Everything is cooked from scratch so I mostly go with reduced starchy food portions and add extras like green leafy veg, mushrooms peas etc.
The only exception is with curry the OH has brown rice, I cook myself a Lentil Dhal. It seems to be mostly working my BS has come down from 8's and 9's before meals to 6's and after from 13's to 9-10's and I have lost a stone in weight.

I am not there with it yet but it is only eight weeks since I started this so am still learning, I have another 7 stone to lose, but so far I am able to fit it in with life and am without medication (at the moment) :)

Twinkle1710

Thanks very much for ur replies. I'm having around 100-150 carbs per day and my sugars are around 6 in the morning and about 7-8 when I go to bed. I don't really need to loose a lot of weight I'm 10 stone 2 llbs and 5'6. I haven't tried drinking alcohol yet or fast foods as I'm a but unsure on their effect and how to deal with high BS from take aways from wha I have read I think it's a case of carb counting and increasing the insulin for the meal but when I look at the carbs I would have to take like a extra 10 units to eat it how does everyone else deal with this ?

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I look to keep my carbs to around 20g a day usually below. My morning BG is somewhere
between 4.8 and 5.3 usually. I am still in the process of losing weight and keeping to around
1600 cals a day. As many of the replies above my carbs tend to come from vegiies which I steam.

Twinkle1710

Wow 20 is really low I don't know how u manage. I was told by nurse to eat carbs every meal and I tend to do this by having a sandwich at lunch and baked potato for tea with lots of salad and meat

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Around 150g a day (type 1) but often a little more on a weekend.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I really do not like potatoes or Pasta so I miss these out with ease.
Bread and Rice is harder but I do keep away from them both, I must admit when first
Looking at this forum the people mentioning they were in the 20g area I filed into a
pigeon hole in my mind as extreme. I have just kinda drifted into that level and am still
eating with my family just slightly different proportions of what is cooked.

Tonight’s meal I had fish with courgettes, broccoli and brussels the others at the table
added potatoes and sauce (I had some mayonnaise)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually eat between 45-60g carbs per day. It's the level that I reduced to gradually while eating to my meter to control BG levels.

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
How on earth do you guys work out how much carbs you are eating? packet stuff is easy as its written on the back, but for fruit and vege etc how do you work it out?

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
How many carbs in a food type? Google it! All the information in the world is out there at your finger tips.

A little chorus to help -
no roots,
no fruits,
no grains,
no sugar

Well, not much, anyway.

Dr Bernstein advises diabetics to aim at 6g of carb at breakfast, 12g at lunch, 12g at dinner and 6g for snacks. That is a total of only 36 g of carb a day and quite hard.

Personally I aim for between 70 and 100g per day, but I am Type2 and do not have to calculate insulin. I gather for Type 1s the big benfit of low carbing is that the lower the level of carb, the lower the margin of error and the smaller the chance of a hypo.

Twinkle1710

I have a great app which is called calorie counter I just add all the food I eat each meal and it works out my carbs it has food brand names and take aways also a scan feature so u can scan the bar code and u can add foods that arnt it. It is a god send

Misteraa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use myfitnesspal, and have been under 50 grams of carbs per day since I was diagnosed in December.

My self glucose tests are down to < 5 (for the most part), and i've lost a stone, so i'm very happy with my progress.

A