general help

I've had diabetes since I was 3, so 19 years now, my Mam was the one who kept me in check but unfortunately she passed away 2 year ago and left me at a bit of a loss to be honest. I haven't had any bad hypos in years, I generally know when my bloods are low and what actions to take.
I think when my mam died I wanted to have something that I could control and not have people tell me what should be done, I mean it's my body, my life. Stupid thinking really. I didn't stop taking my insulin or anything, just didn't check my bloods, ate and drank what I wanted and generally didn't want to know.
Now I want to get sorted, I want to learn to drive, and I got my medical form through today and I'm worried that because I haven't seen anyone about my diabetes in a couple of years that the DVLA are just going to basically say no to letting me learn to drive ):
Has anyone got any felt this way or went through anything similar? Any help is good.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Kerry,

Sorry to hear about your Mum. My Dad passed away when I was 14 and that triggered me into not looking after myself for years. I'm 23 now, I have a good job, a good boyfriend, good friends and my diabetes is improving.

With driving, the DVLA do ask that you bloodtest before driving and you need to have regular checks for diabetes and for your eyesight, best thing you can do is arrange an appointment with your GP or diabetic clinic and have a check up, for most people it's a once a year appointment and for most people it really helps and you can keep track of your progress (hba1c, lipads etc). I have a licence from the DVLA for 3 years at a time, I started learning to drive last year and passed my test in about 6 months, all I need to do now is every 3 years fill out the medical form from the DVLA regarding hypos and when I last saw a doctor / DSN regarding my diabetes.

Best of luck!

Davears

hi, the DVLA will want to speak to your doctors before issuing you with a license. my advice would be to go see your GP and ask them to make the appointments youll need, I.e have blood tested, have your eyes checked. And maybe give you advice on how to manage your diabetes yourself.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

I'm getting bloods taken on Friday then I shall see what the doctor/nurse has to say. I just feel like everything is getting in my way, I just wanna learn to drive! ):
Can the DVLA refuse a license if your yearly bloods are high, last time I had my bloods done on 2011 and the nurse said they were high.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Kerry, they can't refuse a licence on your hba1c. My hba1c has always been considered 'high' and I've never been refused a licence.

They would only have concerns if you had any complications as a result of diabetes (this they would obtain a confirmation from your doctor stating whether or not they believe you to be fit to drive, I had maculopathy in both eyes and my optician just had to sign a form stating that it didn't affect my eyesight or driving ability) or frequent hypos where you lose consciousness or are unawares of dropping blood glucose.

Oh thank you, this helps! I was worried that coz it could he high that I'd be refused but I haven't been ill, I always make sure I act quickly if I start to feel my blood sugar getting low. Feel a bit better now thank you! :)

Davears

I agree with whats been said! they'll only refuse if you have serious complications. I had issues with my eyes for a while, all they wanted at that time was the eye clinics details which I provided. the eye clinic confirmed I was attending and my treatment at the time. they still gave me my license.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Oh this is great news to me, thank you guys! My eyesight isn't the best but I'm getting contacts for everyday so that should help, no serious conditions! I just want to be out learning to drive now haha.

Im a nuisance I know, but if I put my doctors name address contact number and all that but no date will that be ok? Because I don't see my doctor about my diabetes but it asks for a date of the last time I saw them about my condition.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kerry

They mean any health care person that will then make a report to your GP so your Diabetic Nurse will do this for you. I have never seen my GP about my Diabetes, she phoned me to tell me I was diabeticand not to eat anything sweet before I saw the nurse the following week. Once I went to see her, I have only ever had contact with the DN for follow up appts etc. But the GP will have access to all of the records.

Hope it goes OK!

SS

The nurse I saw today who was doing my review is in the same surgery as my doctors so if I put my doctors details with the surgery contact number would that be fine because like you said they will have access to my files. I just don't want to leave lots blank because it will just take ages.