How do you stop the Dawn Phenomenan

binney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I have posted before about my ever annoying high BS readings pre breakfast and it is still a daily occurence and has been for several months.I just dont seem to be able to sort it and it is realy getting me down.I have tested during the night on several occaisions,last night as an example was my pre bed BS was 15.3, not good I know but went out for a curry :D I then tested at 4am and it was down to 12.9 so I thought great its coming down and hoped I would have a better reading when I got up at 8am, but sadly not it was back up to 14.6.So what happened in those 4 hours?Was it the dawn Phenomenan? and what can be done to stop it if that is the case Would realy love someone to tell me how to sort it.Look forward to hearing from you all.
Thanks Binney

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not a good night to be using as an example after a curry, as you know a typical curry meal is both high in carbs and fat and can effect bg for several hours after.

On a morning I eat within 10-15 mins from waking to avoid DP otherwise I will see a gradual increase in bg readings, I'm always up by 6am most mornings so this also helps.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia Binney, if it is a regular occurrence and happens when you've had a 'normal' supper then it may well be the dreaded dawn phenomamen. For me it was impossible to correct with the 4 daily injection regime and one of the reasons behind recommending me for a pump in the end (there were other reason too). The pump can be programmed to give different basal insulin through the day and night so when the dawn phenomanen occurs it's much easier to to balance insulin for it. The pump has worked for me in this respect (obviosuly it required a lot of inital effort and even now on-going maintenance) but one of my best periods of glucose control is now between midnight and 8am. It used to be a nightmare with highs and lows! I don't know how you can stop the DP on injections - maybe others will come along and advise. All the best :thumbup:

Reactions: ashleyneildas

binney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for the replys,yes it is a regular occurence and has been for a while which is why I' me very concerned about it as nothing I do seems to be working.I have increased my evening Insulatard to see if that would help but it hasnt as yet.Are there any drugs that could stop it?if anyone else knows anything or had same problem please,please let me know
Many thanks
Binney

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can get mid-acting insulin that has a lifetime in between short acting insulin and long acting insulin. You take this at bed time with your long acting. Its detailed in Gary Scheiner's Think Like A Pancreas book. This book is a must for everyone on insulin, even if you think you know it all.

Of course, your Lantus could be too low. I get the dawn phenomenon but it just means I need more insulin at breakfast. I dont get any highs before that.

iHs

Lantus unfortunately (if it is injected once daily at bedtime) can and will give ok bg levels upon rising in the morning (presuming that he dose used is seeing you through the night) but without any bolus for food at breakfast (because nothing will be eaten), will later cause bg levels to rise somewhat which then leaves people to question just how active Lantus really is. The easier way therefore to deal with DP that comes after rising in the morning is not to lay in bed, get up, give yourself some bolus, eat some grub and then go back to bed for that lay in.

binney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sam thanks for your reply yeah that sounds an interesting idea taking medium acting insulin with my long acting.I have got that book its very good I will have to find it out again.BTW I am on Insulatard( not Lantus) which is split AM & pre bed as it peaks slightly after about 6 hours which I had hoped would be enough to stop the pre breakfast rise but it just doesnt seem to be at the moment.I dont know wether to keep increasing it or not, as dont then want to get the rebound effect,so hard to know what to do for the best.I should of said earlier that I take Novorapid as my bolus and Basal is Insulatard 20 units am & 24 pm.Do you know what medium insulin was mentioned in the Gary Scheiner book?If you get anymore ideas would be great to hear them

Thanks again
Binney

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bonney my B/S goes up over night every night and I don't eat supper. My B/S is normally between 15-19 by the morning. Right pain.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For some people like me the only solution to DP is a pump. Havent had increases for DP blood readings since 5 days after going on pump. It is the only device that dllows me to deliver double insulin for 2 hours and stop the double figure bgs that would occur..

glaves_r1991

There is no way to stop the dawn phenomeman the only thing to do is test your blood at 3am and adjust your background until normalised

Sent from my Xperia arc using DCUK Forum mobile app