Gastric Bypass

vespasian023

I have just joined and I really hope I am doing this correctly. Please bear with me.
I am a short fat geezer, now officially classed as old. I have had IDDM for 18 years and have another two chronic deseases and several other complaints. I have always been overweight but 15 months ago, because of immobility and wrong medications I weighed 19 and a half stone.
I was almost told to have a Gastric Bypass and waited a year to get the funding. I now have the funding and I did not waste that year. I lost 4 and a half stone and my operation is pending.

Sorry about the preamble but my question is this:

The Bariatric team at The Homerton told me that although the usual mortality rate for this operation is 500:1, in my case, because of my myriad of complaints it is 30:1!!
My wife was horrified and said "no you don't buster," but I am stuck. I have lost weight but only half of what I need to lose and I have reached "the plateau" and cannot seem to lose any more. It is also the same weight I have lost twenty times over the years and it always goes back on.
Do I have this operation?

Spaceage

I was referred by my sleep clinic (sleep apnoea sufferer) after being weighed at 126kg (just under 20 stone in old money) so had bypass surgery in Feb 2012, so far have lost 36kg (5st 9lbs) and feel like a new man.

I had tried all sorts of diets with the standard lose some but more back on gradual build up of weight, by the sound sof it you've done fantastically well and I'd suggest taht you continue and don't go for the surgery which normally helps you lose about 50% of the extra weight you carry (am guessing that'd be approx 2.5stone for you?

An alternative which I wish I knew about before the bypass is the "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" approach where you eat your normal diet 5 days a week and the other 2 days you eat 600 calories for a male or 500 for female (non consecutive days), my mother made me aware of it and has dropped from a size 16 to 12 in 4 months.

Good luck in whatever you choose and one again congrats on your wonderful efforts to date.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
There is always risks with any major surgery but I was told the same thing as I had diabetes and a few other illnesses that the risk was far greater. I still went a head and did it and it was the best thing I have ever done. You need to talk to the surgery team about the risks and make sure that you have done everything you can to make them as little as possible. By losing 4 stone you have already vastly reduced one of the biggest risks of surgery and that is the amount of sedation required as wieght is a major factor.
Sedation is what caused the increased risk for the most part and now you have lost 4 stone you will be much less of a risk.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
vespasian023 said:
I have just joined and I really hope I am doing this correctly. Please bear with me.
I am a short fat geezer, now officially classed as old. I have had IDDM for 18 years and have another two chronic deseases and several other complaints. I have always been overweight but 15 months ago, because of immobility and wrong medications I weighed 19 and a half stone.
I was almost told to have a Gastric Bypass and waited a year to get the funding. I now have the funding and I did not waste that year. I lost 4 and a half stone and my operation is pending.

Sorry about the preamble but my question is this:

The Bariatric team at The Homerton told me that although the usual mortality rate for this operation is 500:1, in my case, because of my myriad of complaints it is 30:1!!
My wife was horrified and said "no you don't buster," but I am stuck. I have lost weight but only half of what I need to lose and I have reached "the plateau" and cannot seem to lose any more. It is also the same weight I have lost twenty times over the years and it always goes back on.
Do I have this operation?

Hello.

As a mere suggestion - could you suggest a meeting with your consultant and the
aneasthetic consultant and the teams with your other health conditions ?
Discuss all risk and options to reduce risk if possible ?

I mention this as I am due an 'op' on my rotator cuff shoulder and have
been offered these options.

Meetings held with a consultant anaesthetist and the diabetes team plus my ortho team.
They are all agreed to work together to cover and protect me from any complications etc...

Have heart isssues and 'very' infection vunerable plus will need insulin/enzyme/antibiotics IV .
My mother and myself are meeting with the team for a final briefing on tuesday,
a date will be set for my 'op' too.
They were trying to consider a total arm block as versus a GA. If possible?
To be honest if it wasnt for this approach with the professionals working together as a team
to care for me so well - I WOULDNT go ahead with the 'op' - as would simply be too scared to.
Have had septis infections everytime been operated on, its the result of open surgery .

Trouble is if I dont have this 'op' on my arm rotator tendon will be at risk of tearing or
snapping with the calcification compressing on the tendon.
Then will lose the use of arm so its a real catch22 situation.

Back to my suggestion - its worth a try ?
If - they can help you more with a team risk evaluation approach - it would give you
more peace of mind and sense of security that steps/measures had been taken
to cover your risk more ...
You have worked so hard and lost a great deal of weight so surely they could possibly
work in your favour to help you .
As a team 'cover all risks' for your sake ?
It seems such a shame to hear you have come so far to hit a brick wall
[as figure of speech!]

Do let us know what you decide upon and what transpires ...
I would be interested to hear how things go with yourself.

Anna.

Una

Well done on the loss, Fab face book site Gastric bypass Uk, support group is wonderful.
I have had a Gastric bypass in October 2012 not as higher risk as you but 50 Db2 over 20stone :oops: at time of op had lost 3.5.
Would i do it again YES :clap: .
I can understand your wifes concern but there is a good chance if you dont have it she wont have you either.
Homerton is fantastic there ITC is wonderful and they will not operate if there is not an ITC bed for you, dont forget they are doing around 8 of theses a week so are used to the"issues".