Do you guys actually tell your employers you are diabetic?

karen13

Re: Do you guys actually tell your employers you are diabeti

I told mine and they have been great , infact most people i work with know about it , i dont get treated any diffferent and i don;t think its a big secret anyways .

Glynis01

I think it's irresponsible not to tell your employers. They can instantly dismiss you if you don't tell them and they later find out you deliberately kept it from them. It can invalidate their insurance. They also have a legal obligation to make sure all reasonable adjustments are made if necessary, to allow you to look after yourself and carry out your job . At the end of the day, regardless of all the legal sides, you morally owe it to them to make sure they know what to do if you have a hyper or hypo, or anything happens that you cannot deal with yourself. Even your social friends have a moral right to know what to do in the event of a crisis. Even the staff at the swimming pool know of my problems just in case anything happens while I am swimming. Nothing ever has happened while I've been in the pool, but there are no guarantees. I just asked to speak to the manager. He was lovely, and I have had so much fun in the pool. Employers are't gossips. They can't gossip and do the job they are doing. But they do need to know so they can do their job properly. So please, don't keep it secret. People need to know for your own benefit and safety.

rayraysopp

I've always told everyone around me, throughout school, college, university and all of my jobs. It's never been a problem and I'm glad to have had the support over the years from my peers, who have always treated me normally.

Personally I feel that by not telling people you're potentially putting yourself and others at risk. If you have a hypo (you say your control is tight but we can all get caught out at any time...) then especially doing manual labour- shouldn't you take responsibility for yourself and others by opening up about it and being like "this is me, I've not told you for this long so you know it doesn't make me different...so like it or lump it :) ! I work in a career when potentially, me having a hypo could be catastrophic for both me and my colleagues...I'd hate to have that having over my head. So I'm open, and it's not an issue but they know if I need 10 mins out or some help, then it's for them as much as me!

glenmoray

At any interview or application form usually asks if you have any medical condition or illness. If you fail to disclose this information and they find out at a later date ( if you have a hypo or they see you injecting yourself) they could sack you. However if they do not ask you anything about your medical past you don't have to disclose it.

Paul Oak

If you do not tell your employer, you are in breach of contract for withholding a relevant fact, you will also forfeit some of your rights as well as putting yourself at the obvious risks. Also, in UK, you increase your protection as the latest disability and employment regulation considers type 1 as a disability, and one employer I spoke to welcomed type 1's as it made his record in employing disabled lok good at little or no expense to him, as we do not need access and all the other things more severely disabled need!!

WhatNotToEat

Yes because I work alone. Thankfully I am T2, and can eat whenever I am feeling 'low' and they're pretty good about it.

Bodybuilder type1

I did not tell any i employer I was diabetic until about 3weeks in as they did not need to know but after that I would always LET them find out and not make a big deal about it It is one of the first things I tell people even random people I it was even the first thing I spoke about to my girlfriend and she loved my knowledge and confidence with what I was .diabetes is just here for the ride don't let it take over your life you have nothing to be ashamed about you will be surprised when u tell people I have diabetes what they will tell you in return everybody has something wether it diabetes or whatever