pasta

kevinf1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok boys and girls and others :) spag bol.. what can we use for the spag? i thoght maybe whole wheat pasta but that looks about the same for carbs.

any suggestions..???

hallii

Proper wholemeal pasta, the stuff you can see the bran bits in, does not spike me anything like ordinary stuff.

I only eat 50 grams at a time and I am OK with that.

H

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have cauli bolli using cauli instead of the pasta and just piling the sauce on top
CAROL

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You can use Dreamfields pasta. It's based on iinulin rather than starch. However, I can't deal with it myself. Alternatively how about bean sprouts? or vegetable spaghetti if you can find it
Hana

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spaghetti Squash also works for me... bean sprouts as well when doing a Chinese stir fry.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard of courgette tagliatelle. Personally, I forget about the spag, and make the bol thick with mushrooms, and eat it out of a bowl.

VickiT11979

I do the courgette stuff - cut into long strips, then slice those thinly, then fry in a little olive oil or butter with salt & pepper from a few min until it starts to brown. Dab with a bit of kitchen towel to absorb any excess moisture & cover with sauce. Yummy, but cutting it up's a faff - may grate it next time.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The courgette works. Top n' tail it, slice it into strips, and fry in a little butter or oil to soften up a little.

You won't need as much courgette as you would use spaghetti, though.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
kevinf1967 said:
i thoght maybe whole wheat pasta but that looks about the same for carbs.

any suggestions..???

Experiment with wholegrain pasta. Just try a third or half portion at first and measure your BG after a couple of hours. Wholegrains are the same for carbs but they take much longer to break down so the release is slower. Maybe try a third portion then, if OK try a 2/3rds portion. It's just experiment as everyone is different.

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
I use courgettes too, use a potato peeler to slice thin strips for taglietelle or a julienne peeler for spaghetti/noodles

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The courgette thing sounds great! Good suggestions here!

When I make lasagne, I use pre-cooked omelette instead of pasta sheets. I make the white sauce with almond flour instead of white flour and use cream and milk instead of just milk.

kevinf1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for all your suggestions.. will be tryinga few out... :)

will be planting spghetti squash this year