Diabetic and having bad dreams

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Anonymous question submitted:

My da is diabetic and is in the proces of being tested for sleep apnea, however he has described that he is waking up in the night / motning and seeing very vivid pictures of people, mostly people he doesn't know but recently a very vivid picture of me. He said he was wide awake and tried to talk to me but obviously got no answer. Dad says these are becoming more regular, and other one he sees is a long line of people wearing hats walking up a set of stair and walking through a door at the top. Can anyone advise if they have heard of this and give me an idea of what it might be?

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonym ... stion.html

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could be related to Sleep Apnea and he may thinks his awake at the time but isn't and it's all a dream......who knows?

Diabetes aside we all dream and it's the frightening or disturbing ones which we seem to remember when we are awake, certainly worth mentioning to the Consultant who is treating him for the SA.

jobean

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergines
It could be related to your dad's sleep problem as my dad had the same and keep "seeing things" You don't realise but you can get little proper restful sleep with this condition and it can make you feel "spaced out"

Is your dad on any other medication as this can also cause people to see things

I suffer from vivid nightmares if my BS is too high

Barong

Dislikes
hypos, rude, inconsiderate people, bad language.
I occasionally have very vivid dreams, as if it all happened in real time, I even get up and talk to the people aloud in such dreams, then I wake up and know I have a very low BG, and still half asleep, I grab the carton of orange juice by my bed. So, at least in my case, it is due to hypos.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anonymous Question said:
Anonymous question submitted:

My da is diabetic and is in the proces of being tested for sleep apnea, however he has described that he is waking up in the night / motning and seeing very vivid pictures of people, mostly people he doesn't know but recently a very vivid picture of me. He said he was wide awake and tried to talk to me but obviously got no answer. Dad says these are becoming more regular, and other one he sees is a long line of people wearing hats walking up a set of stair and walking through a door at the top. Can anyone advise if they have heard of this and give me an idea of what it might be?

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonym ... stion.html

This is called hypnopompic hallucination. A person is technically awake but in a dream state. A 'waking dream'. If it happens before falling asleep it's called a hynogogic hallucination. It can occur in people with sleep disorders, including sleep apnoea. I had a couple of instances many years ago but apnoea was ruled out. It's quite a freaky experience but is not a sign of anything wrong with the mind. Worth checking out with a doctor all the same

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App