What meter/monitor do you use?

MrsG1

Hi,
My hubby has just been diagnosed as type 2 and I want to buy a blood glucose monitor. What do you use? Any recommendations? Any to keep away from?

Thanks.

Emmerdale

Hello,I use accu check Aviva but it was free from my doctor and no problems getting strips every month,you can get a free meter from alot of the suppliers cos they make their money from the strips, someone will be along to let you know which are the cheapest options :D

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The MyLife Pura is supposedly the most accurate and apparently has cheap strips too. I'm type 1 though so can't say that with much authority as I get them for free. Its a bit fiddley to use though.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I myself use - the Aviva Accu-check Nano.

Great little meter for reading the numbers for
anyone with poor vision skills.
Numbers are larger and always illuminated so you can even test
easily in the night .

It is light weight and tiny in size came with complete zip up case too.
Ideal for in my handbag or a mans pocket also .

Hope this helps you and your husband .
There are lots of choice - got my Nano due to my retinopathy [ruebella]

Anna.

Mummyofone

I use SD CODEFREE, it's accurate, cheap to buy, the strips are the cheapest I've come across at around £7 for 50 as opposed to around £20 - £30 from the branded ones. I got my kit from amazon.co.uk for around £13 and that was the monitor, lancet device and lancets and comes in a carry case. The lancets are super cheap to. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0068JAJFS/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1358453674&sr=8-2. Hope this helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WhatNotToEat

Aviva Accu-check. Get lancets and strips on prescription :)

What Not To Eat
www.facebook.com/WhatNotToEat
Uniting those with coeliac disease, diabetes and gluten sensitivity.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a One Touch Ultra, but if you are paying for it and the strips, then I'd go for the Codefree as it has the cheapest ongoing costs.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Codefree very cheap strips if you have to end up buying them.. And meter readings are pretty accurate compared to some other meters. Only thing is if you wsnted to use at night.. The screen is unreadable unless a light is on.
Very good though.

petertremelling

I have just got a Glucomen LX plus meter supplied free by Menarini. It is the best meter that I have come across to date, having been diagnosed type 2 in 2001. I am on insulin and tablets, and I have downloaded the computer software from Menarini which is the most comprehensive program I have found. The meter itself has runner grips at the sides for easy holding and also has four small runner feet for steady use on a smoothe surface, something that other manufacturers could do with noting, as I have previously lost a meter down the loo! The finger pricker has a ring of raised plastic dots around the lancet and it really does soom to hide the feeling of pain. An additional bonus is that the same meter takes a different strip, but gives ketone results as well. Super bit of kit.

twinkle1980

petertremelling said:
I have just got a Glucomen LX plus meter supplied free by Menarini. It is the best meter that I have come across to date, having been diagnosed type 2 in 2001. I am on insulin and tablets, and I have downloaded the computer software from Menarini which is the most comprehensive program I have found. The meter itself has runner grips at the sides for easy holding and also has four small runner feet for steady use on a smoothe surface, something that other manufacturers could do with noting, as I have previously lost a meter down the loo! The finger pricker has a ring of raised plastic dots around the lancet and it really does soom to hide the feeling of pain. An additional bonus is that the same meter takes a different strip, but gives ketone results as well. Super bit of kit.
Pretty much what he said!
Glucomen also supply silicone covers for their meters, protection if you drop it, and fairly bright so I can find it in the depths of my bag.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Hello. Although I am on the Aviva now in conjunction with the Accuchek insulin pump, I was using the Accuchek mobile and have to say its the greatest device ever. No coding, no messy strips and 6 finger pricking devices all in one device. What more could one ask for?

CantThinkOfAUsername

GlucoRX Nexus is the meter that my GP moved me to because the strips are cheaper than the One Touch Ultra that I was using.

A bit of a fiddly meter with only one button so it won't appeal to the techy types that like their meter to do everything.

Despite what I have read, the readings are fairly accurate when compared to Clinic professional results using their large machine. Closer than the One Touch Ultra in fact.

The strips are cheaper than many meters although not as cheap as the Codefree.

I would be interested in the accuracy of the Codefree if anyone has any comparisons with professional laboratory results.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
SD Codefree was wildly innacurate foe me. :( As much as 2 points off each time!
It's Accu chek mobile for me now-excellent support and free batteries and a 3 year warranty.

jamby41

Freeystyle insulynx get free machine was being promoted on here. Excellent machine and very good strips. I buy my strips on ebay. Just search thereareots listed. I had aviva nano bad experience with strips constantly failing. The strips I caught from pharmacy and were expensive £30 for 50. I do however love they lancet by aviva the fast clix it's easy to use and painless.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like CantThinkOfAUsername I too use the GlucoRX Nexus.

I've only been using it a week and it seems ok. I keep getting an error message that I've removed the strip before the reading has been taken [which I haven't] and have to start again with a new strip.

Didn't get it through choice as was given it free by my diabetes nurse. Also get strips and lancets on free prescription.

Pretty easy to use - seems to do the job :)