SEN

leggott

Can anyone tell me if a child with type 1 qualifies for SEN and if so, how you go about getting this funding. Thanks Leggott.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I very much doubt it, but check wih diabetes UK careline. they hae all the legal details.
Hana

elainechi

yep ...children with diabetes come under the sen...every school has a SEN Co ordinator....so just contact them..my daughter was on the register for 18 mths still i was invited to a coffee morning...x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a difference between having a statement of educational needs with individual funding implications and being on the SEN register at either school action or school action plus stages.
Much depends on the individual school, local education authority but overall, it should be the individual needs of the child that govern whether the help comes from within the SEN budget or is extra as the result of a statement.
If you look for threads on other major UK forum you will find a few children with statements but they often have more than 'normal' T1 needs.
I agree with Hana that DUK are the best port of call for advocacy advice.
Meanwhile this document from Children with Diabetes gives some information (2007). I couldn't find a more recent one
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/uk/ ... ool-UK.pdf
unfortunately, some of the links are out of date.

leggott

Thanks for all your replies. I have been given a name of someone at Diabetes Uk who can help me further with this.

pplprincess5480

My Daughter Lottie, who is six. Has a statement for her T1 and selective mutism. She had finding for 1:1 care in Pre-School while not statemented and then the statement was finalised during her first term. It does depend on your LEA. All children with T1 should have an IEP, however many schools won't do this for purely medical needs. My advice would be to contact Diabetes UK and your LEA SEN department. One of the main reasons Lottie's statement was approved was my fighting for it. I chased up all the involved professionals, Leo in contact with the LEA and most importantly got the consultant on side. There needs to be evidence that your child cannot manage their condition and needs constant monitoring for the safety of their health. I'm happy to answer any questions you have regarding my experiences, just pm me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

siobhanie26

I'm at university and i get extra time, separate room and rest breaks for exams...i get that in case my blood sugars are too high or low cause my concentration goes

When i was at primary and secondary school i got the same for exams but just everyday classes etc if my blood went low they understood and let me sort myself out

I would contact the head of year/tutors/mentors or school nurse? Someone will definately be able to help :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app