.... do I have the onset of Diabetes

smileyface

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking this question :? (~I'm new to your site). About a month ago I went to see the doctor because on two separate occasions after I had been swimming ( I swim three times a week and have done for about 2 years) I had what I think was a Hypoglycemia, the doctor agreed with me. All I was told, was to eat before I swim, no explanation why its just started to happen. Over the last week to ten days my feet have been very painful and when I was chatting to a friend at work today they wondered if it was linked to Diabetes. My feet are painful along the sides and on different part of the base, they burn and it feels like I have pins and needles. I am concerned as everyone in my family (parents, brother are diabetic and my twin sister is insulin resistant). I do occasionally feel light headed. I just wondered what your thoughts were, I would be very interested to hear them. Thank you. :D

Dark Horse

If you are worried that you have diabetes, go to your doctor and ask them to check your fasting blood glucose levels. People do not generally have diabetic foot problems in the early stages of diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anybody can go hypo with exercise but it is not usually a serious problem and your liver and/or food can fix it. Hypos that are of concern are the ones when someone takes too much medication without eating to match it.

For all anyone knows you may be diabetic but you would go hyper and not hypo without medication.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Squire Fulwood that someone who has diabetes will have Hyperglycaemia i.e. high blood sugar rather than the converse unless on certain diabetes medication. Your foot problem sounds like Planta Faciitis which I currently have. It can be triggered or made worse by long-term diabetes or statins but is not directly related to diabetes at diagnosis. Yes, a few people go hypo with exercise and not having eaten for a while before the exercise.

daisy3174

Hi there, actually I have Diabetes and go both High and Low on no medication, but I am a rather rare case I believe.I too have exercised daily for 27 years running a few miles a day and other exercise and the Hypos (as low as 2.2 - no medication) only began about a year and a half ago.If my sugar is high before running then my sugar plummetts, if it is low before running, it always goes high??? But as said my Consultant said I am on her list of Strange patients.If I were you I would most certainly demand more tests, fasting BS, HBA1C and definately buy your own meter, then you will know exactly what is going on and how low and high you are going.I was actually given my meter because of the Hypo,s (which can be dangerous) not the highs so may be worth you asking the doctor or nurse for one.Hope this helps x

smileyface

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Thank you everyone for you comments, I have now got a meter and I will an eye on my bloods, when I next go to the doctors I will chat to him about it, my feet are driving me mad ... thanks again. :thumbup: