Whats the most annoying thing people say about diabetes?

BlindFaith

LemonTree said:
if my colleagues detect I am being a bit quiet or slightly moody they usually mutter "must be her sugar level...". Oh that grates on me!

I get something similar from my mother, although it's not about diabetes.
I suffer with depression and any (and every) time I'm a bit quiet or feeling a bit introverted she says "oh you're feeling down?" "it's because you've come off of some of your meds"... ARGH!!

Then again if I so much as glance at a bar of chocolate she slaps the back of my hand and says "NO" like she's talking to a small naughty child (I'm 31...!) but then gets uppity if I don't eat potatoes/bread/rice/anything else she tries to feed me that I know will have an effect on my blood sugar...

I think the most annoying thing is "ooh mind your blood sugar!" when I eat anything or the people that tell me what I should/shouldn't be eating even though they don't have diabetes or don't know anyone with it; they still know more than the person with it... :roll:

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
I think the worst thing I hear is when 'healthy' ads or when doctors or surgeons on TV talk about diabetes with being overweight and over eating!!!!! I get on my high horse and write in and complain about the different types and how they differ, and then sometimes I get an apology or changes are quickly made to identify type 1 from some forms of type 2. hurray!

The other thing that annoys me is when someone passes the comment that diabetes is 'oh so easy to manage' :crazy: - you just need to eat healthily!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (I bring out the knife!).

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Geri said:
I think the worst thing I hear is when 'healthy' ads or when doctors or surgeons on TV talk about diabetes with being overweight and over eating!!!!! I get on my high horse and write in and complain about the different types and how they differ, and then sometimes I get an apology or changes are quickly made to identify type 1 from some forms of type 2. hurray!

The other thing that annoys me is when someone passes the comment that diabetes is 'oh so easy to manage' :crazy: - you just need to eat healthily!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (I bring out the knife!).

Oooooh ... diabetic rage! :lol:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Hello Grace, something vexes thee ?

Chips

I'm keeping it simple 'cos the mods have been having a go at me, prob my fault !

TTFN

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Superchip said:
Hello Grace, something vexes thee ?

Chips

I'm keeping it simple 'cos the mods have been having a go at me, prob my fault !

TTFN

Nothing vexes me when I'm chomping my way through a packet of prawn cocktail crisps, Chippers old chap. :lol:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Bless you ! I'm off to tata land now, and no it's not a car factory in India !

Just listening to Fleetwood Mac from 1969 ! Marvellous !

I am almost asleep with a delicious Wodka in one hand and a mouse in the other !

Look out Gdnansk ! The drunken Brit and his daughter are coming to get you !

TTFN GraceK, much love to you, you are an inspiration to many !

Roy

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Superchip said:
Bless you ! I'm off to tata land now, and no it's not a car factory in India !

Just listening to Fleetwood Mac from 1969 ! Marvellous !

I am almost asleep with a delicious Wodka in one hand and a mouse in the other !

Look out Gdnansk ! The drunken Brit and his daughter are coming to get you !

TTFN GraceK, much love to you, you are an inspiration to many !

Roy

Awww shucks Roy ... ya made me blush! :oops: Have a good time and wave to the Tatras for me :D

Superchip

Dislikes
Cheap Whisky !
Just the one packet !

Night GK ! ( sleep tight , not vodka induced, like me ! )

Old Chap Chippers !

KennyS

Riversidegirl said:
"I'm soooooo sorry" :(

I think "What the hell for!!!!!????"

Do they know something that I don't???

I find this reeeeeeeelly patronising.

I like it when people say that... the response:

I am too. It would have been nice to have been told by my doctors that refined charbohydrates and not just sugar were the problem. Had I been given that information and the damage done by them, I might not have this condition today. Also if the NHS had used detection levels used in the US rather than the WHO numbers, I would have been diagnosed pre-diabetic 4 years before it because a permanent condition!

Kenny

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
GraceK said:
She looked like she was about to lose consciousness, she had all the appearances of being drunk but I got a strong smell of pear drops from her breath and I'd read about that in my First Aid book, so I got the sugar water she asked for and sat with her while she drank it. I hadn't a clue what I was doing, but I felt if she was diabetic that she must know what she needed. She recovered in the office after about 20 minutes, thanked me and left.

I think you are slightly confused here relating the smell of pear drops with LOW blood sugar, since it is exactly the opposite. Strong smell of pear drop is caused by "ketoacidosis" http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... idosis.htm, which is due to HIGH blood sugar! The fact that she recovered after a sugary drink certainly means she was previously in a near hypo state, so the pear drops smell just doesn't stack up with this. What had you read about pear drops smell in your First Aid book .. I would be interested to know?

JontyW
T1 for 43 yrs

diggerhtfc

I used to get irritated by people (close friends and family) asking me if I had done my injection when we were sitting down to eat a meal together - like I forget at the 95% of meals I have when they're not there to remind me - but then I remembered that these people only do this because they care and I am lucky to have people care about me. So I don't get irritated by that anymore.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
JontyW said:
GraceK said:
She looked like she was about to lose consciousness, she had all the appearances of being drunk but I got a strong smell of pear drops from her breath and I'd read about that in my First Aid book, so I got the sugar water she asked for and sat with her while she drank it. I hadn't a clue what I was doing, but I felt if she was diabetic that she must know what she needed. She recovered in the office after about 20 minutes, thanked me and left.

I think you are slightly confused here relating the smell of pear drops with LOW blood sugar, since it is exactly the opposite. Strong smell of pear drop is caused by "ketoacidosis" http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/fac ... idosis.htm, which is due to HIGH blood sugar! The fact that she recovered after a sugary drink certainly means she was previously in a near hypo state, so the pear drops smell just doesn't stack up with this. What had you read about pear drops smell in your First Aid book .. I would be interested to know?

JontyW
T1 for 43 yrs

As I said in my original post ... this happened years ago when I was in my early 20s and diabetes was a condition I knew nothing about. The woman arrive in our office, appeared to be drunk and her breath smelled very strongly of pear drops and asked me for water with sugar in it. I didn't know then and I still don't know NOW whether she had high or low BS, all I know is that's what happened and that's what she asked me for. The only thing I knew about diabetes then was from my St John's Ambulance First Aid Book which said that the breath sometimes smells of apples or peardrops. I'm going back over 30 years here so I can't remember the exact text. As I've been trying to explain ... I was no expert then ... and I'm certainly no expert now either. I followed the woman's instructions in the belief that as SHE had the condition, then SHE probably knew what she needed.

Whether she was hyper or hypo I haven't a clue, but she was about to pass out when she came into the office but 20 mins later she was OK enough to walk out.

glaves_r1991

My pet hate is when people think me having diabetes means I carnt eat what I want I have been on the DAFNE course I no how to adjust my insulin for the amount of cps im eating im forever telling people I carnt eat anything I want or drink what I want and tht includes If I so chose a full packet of biscuits or alarge chocolate but according to my dad I carnt do it like I do even though I been on a course for a week or I have got a signed statement from my course dietitian

Sent from my LT15i using DCUK Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 2
glaves_r1991 said:
My pet hate is when people think me having diabetes means I carnt eat what I want I have been on the DAFNE course I no how to adjust my insulin for the amount of cps im eating im forever telling people I carnt eat anything I want or drink what I want and tht includes If I so chose a full packet of biscuits or alarge chocolate but according to my dad I carnt do it like I do even though I been on a course for a week or I have got a signed statement from my course dietitian

My mother is newly diagnosed and I'm only just starting to read up on diabetes, but I too was under the impression that it's not a great idea to eat a whole packet of biscuits or huge chocolate bar, especially on a regular basis if you have diabetes. But then I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong :think:

PetiteSJ

glaves_r1991 said:

I've done DAFNE it's the best thing I've done in relation to my diabetes I too have people not understand the concept that through that I can adjust my dosage I just bamboozle them with talk of ratios etc the subject soon gets changed :grin:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

glaves_r1991

Ye DAFNE teaches diabetics tht as long as they match the carb portions to the insulin you take and ye my family just will not listen so I get on with it and leave my family to moan and b*tch tbh lol

WhatNotToEat

That I might as well have sugar cos sweeteners have chemicals in them? I'm constantly preached at, can anyone clarify?

What Not To Eat
www.facebook.com/WhatNotToEat
Uniting those with coeliac disease, diabetes and gluten sensitivity.

glaves_r1991

I have sugar in my coffee because 1 spoon full is half a unit of insulin so I have 3 in my coffee and just take 2 units

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
Im glad its not just me. Im 32 now had type one since i was 8 and when people say stuff like. You were a fat kid then. I feel like screaming at them. Media hyp.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using DCUK Forum mobile app