Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickledpepper2

Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

5.4 on fasting this morning too.

I vaguely recall reading past posts (on here) that suggested a little carbs before you go to bed can actually help bring fasting levels down.

Anyone know anything about this and would care to share?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity

6.8 which is the lowest it's been for ages. Can't understand it because I had a sandwich for lunch, and I never eat bread these days but I was on a course and left my packed lunch on the kitchen table so I had no choice because there was nothing but sandwiches. I also had a tin of soup at teatime, plus chicken korma without the rice, plus 2 digestive biscuits - more carbs in a day than I'd ever eat these days. So I was surprised at my MBG.

I've eaten more or less the same today so it'll be interesting to see what tomorrow's reading will be?

jamby41

I'm doing really well, I never eat in the day so decided on going on sllmfast and one low carb meal. My blood glucose levels have been great and I'm looking weight. The down side is bad breath yuk.
I've tested before and after for s full week and my levels are between 4.3 & 6.4
I asked my nurse about slimfast and she told me no as she thought it would make my blood glucose levels go hay wire. It's working for me.

jamby41

jamby41 said:
I'm doing really well, I never eat in the day so decided on going on sllmfast and one low carb meal. My blood glucose levels have been great and I'm looking weight. The down side is bad breath yuk.
I've tested before and after for s full week and my levels are between 4.3 & 6.4
I asked my nurse about slimfast and she told me no as she thought it would make my blood glucose levels go hay wire. It's working for me.
I forgot to add I'm type 2 diet only.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

For the last 3 days I have had it around 3.1 to 3.5 waking up and its really taking its toll on me going this low.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

jamby41 said:

Slimfast shouldn't be a problem. I tried it as a variation on the Newcastle Diet - 2 shakes a day plus a vegetables-only meal at night. I made the shakes with water instead of milk to keep the carbs right down. One warning though - the ND is meant to be an extremely low calorie diet, less than 800 cals a day, and shouldn't be done for more than 8 weeks, or you'll start to starve :shock: ! (that's a semi-joking serious statement :D ). A restricted calorie diet burns off the internal fat around your organs first; apparently this fat interferes with pancreatic function.

Sadly I didn't manage much more than a week on Slimfast - I was craving solids!

Regarding your nurse's opinion - I have a private theory that many medical professionals get the idea that all diabetics need to eat a good amount of carbs regularly, to keep blood glucose levels stable and "up". As far as I can tell this used to be standard advice for Type 1s. "They" don't seem to understand that there is a difference between diabetes because of failing/no pancreatic function, and diabetes because of insulin resistance.

My pancreas seems to work okay, and can manage a low amount of carbs without any problem - I can now eat up to about 70g a day without upsetting my blood glucose levels, though I put weight on if I go that high :roll: . My BG levels are very stable, and I don't go too low because of the fact that I don't eat much carbohydrate - about 20% of the protein I eat turns slowly into glucose, so I have enough to "run" on.

If you have a meter, do a tight range of testing - just before and 2 hours after eating - to check you BG levels. Then wave the results at your nurse! If you don't have a meter, do look into getting one - I rely on mine a lot.

Viv 8)

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.

Fasting is still 7.7 or 7.5.

elviscole

Mine was 5.9 this morning so the low carbing is certainly helping

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DCUK Forum mobile app

jamby41

Thanks Viv, yes I've got a meter and have a full week of test results before and after every meal. I'm going to see my nurse Friday. I used the ready made shakes lol. I might try the powdered one and see how I go.

What veg did you have and how much all info gratefully received.
Cheers Marie

martyn812

my fasting this morning 6.8 the best yet now i have got over xmas back on track low carbing

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

jamby41 said:
Thanks Viv, yes I've got a meter and have a full week of test results before and after every meal. I'm going to see my nurse Friday. I used the ready made shakes lol. I might try the powdered one and see how I go.

What veg did you have and how much all info gratefully received.
Cheers Marie

Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet, which is a Sticky Thread on the Low-carb Diet section. There is a list of low-carb vegetables on there which is a good basis to start from. If you've got a carb counter book, check any additional veg you feel like eating for carb content - the lower the better. Potatoes, parsnips etc are still out, I'm afraid.

I used to make up a sort-of ratatouille with garlic, onions, leeks, celery, peppers, aubergine, courgettes, fennel, mushrooms, tomatoes etc, and lots of herbs. Or a big plateful of cauliflower and broccoli, hot, with maybe a dash of fat-free salad dressing to perk it up. Normally I would add grated cheese to either, but the Newcastle Diet bans dairy.

My fasting BS was 5.6 this morning - not bad for someone who has added 4 slices of bread a day in an effort to eat up everything I got in for visitors! I can't bear to throw it out, even for the birds! :oops: The cold weather doesn't help - though with any luck it will soon be over! :D

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

I'm sure you know, but for others, you should not give bread to birds as it swells in their stomachs. I always buy seeds and only feed them when there is snow on the ground. That way they don't become dependent on you.

lusty2

I'm a type 2diabetic that hasen't had much good advice regarding treatment of it.I'm on a lot of medication for it.3 metformin.I glicazide and byetta pen twice a day.my levels a're very high.just before breakfast it was 15:4' after 2hours it was 11:4 .had late lunch at 4pm it was the same 11:4.I cannot understand why it's so high.I haven't ate lots of carbs

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

Last couple of days been eating a bit of toast before bed to try stop my morning low bg and crankyness. Seems to do the trick average in morning now for last 3 days 4.3 - 4.8

ashichauhan

Mine is 5.5 this morning but its like about 12 hours which could be considered random I guess . I am taking glucophage 500mg two times daily

Sent from my GT-I8150 using DCUK Forum mobile app

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

ashichauhan said:
Mine is 5.5 this morning but its like about 12 hours which could be considered random I guess . I am taking glucophage 500mg two times daily

Sent from my GT-I8150 using DCUK Forum mobile app

If you mean 12 hours since you last had food, that's a fasting test - unless you've been drinking sugary/carby fluids.

5.2 this morning :D . Getting there again!

Viv 8)

bigskip

6.6 this morning, after 11 hour fast. Best ever, a happy start to the day for me.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

4.8 today. No bread for the past 2 days - just goes to show!

Viv 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.