Anyone else the same?

PetiteSJ

Hiya I'm curious to know if there is anyone else on the forum that has a sibling who has diabetes?

My brother & I are both type 1, he was diagnosed first in December 1988 (I had an AWESOME Christmas as I got all of his choccys :lol:) then 2 months later I was diagnosed. My curiosity is getting the better of me as I haven't met any other diabetics who have a sibling with diabetes.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone about this :grin:

SJ x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Re: Anyone else the same?

My sister was diagnosed with T1 when she was 3 and has now had it for 59 years. Not ideal BG control and hence quadruple heart bypass a few years ago, plus some eye problems.

I was diagnosed with T1 when I was 27 and have now had it for 43 years. I have managed to maintain good BG control and as yet luckily have experienced no complications what so ever.

Jonty

PetiteSJ

Thank you for responding :)

My brother is quite bad with his control he lost an eye because of not attending appointments & not looking after his diabetes I'm the total opposite I watch what I eat etc which seems to frustrate people but I'd rather be happy, healthy & all in one piece :lol:

SJ x

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Jonty/Sj,
Can I ask what your hba1c has been down the years? Just curious as you are both complication free.

PetiteSJ

SamJB said:
Jonty/Sj,
Can I ask what your hba1c has been down the years? Just curious as you are both complication free.

My hba1c hasn't always been good but my last one was 49% I haven't got a clue what that is in old school terms but apparently it's in the top 10% of well controlled diabetics I follow a low carb diet which has helped my blood sugars no end.

I hope that's helpful for you :grin:

SJ x

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!

One of my sisters was diagnosed with T2 about 12 years ago and is on Metformin , I was diagnosed about 6yrs ago but am diet controlled and my youngest sister with T2 in 2011n and is on Metformin too. My gran was T2 as was another uncle on my fathers side of the family.

PetiteSJ

My great great gran & her brother were both type 1 & it skipped 3 generations to my brother & myself!

My mum is type 2 insulin injection controlled, that sounds more like type 1 or type 1.5 to me but the Dr insists she's type 2 after being told that she's type 1 for about 10 years!!! :?:

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.

SamJB said:
Jonty/Sj,

I can't remember way, way back, but since 2001 I've recorded everything on a spreadsheet with graphs etc, and looking at my HbA1c values taken every 6 months over the last 12 years they are between 7.0% and 8.0% with an exact average of 7.5%. I have suffered from occasional "unexplained" serious hypos over the last 5 years, and so my consultant recommended I run my BG target slightly higher in order to protect against these.... and so far it seems to work.

JontyW

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.

PetiteSJ said:
SamJB said:
Jonty/Sj,
My hba1c hasn't always been good but my last one was 49% I haven't got a clue what that is in old school terms but apparently it's in the top 10% of well controlled diabetics I follow a low carb diet which has helped my blood sugars no end.

SJ x

SJ,

Regarding your other comment .."My hba1c hasn't always been good but my last one was 49% I haven't got a clue what that is ....." ..
- I think you mean just 49 mmol/mol which is the new HbA1c measurement standard. This equates to 6.6% in old money (% values), so that is very good and providing you keep it at around that level, you will indeed continue to be in the top 10% :D

Well done!
JontyW

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood

my 2 brothers and my sister were both tpye 2 diabetics i also have a nephew who i type 1 and my brothers granddaughter is type 1.

PetiteSJ

Ahhh thank you Jonty :smile: the consultant said it in percentages that's what threw me a bit!

My hba1c is the best it's ever been I definitely plan to keep it up! My fiancee has a laugh that I'm constantly making sure I keep my levels in the single digits but it has paid off, he's type 1 himself & got me on the case with getting his levels on par with mine we're getting there his levels have improved a lot woohoo :lol:

I keep on trying to help my brother though sadly he won't listen the numpty even after losing an eye he still has poor control of his diabetes.

SJ x

PetiteSJ

kentish maid said:
my 2 brothers and my sister were both tpye 2 diabetics i also have a nephew who i type 1 and my brothers granddaughter is type 1.

Wow another family of diabetics! :)

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(

Hi

I was DX Type 1 at 21 and so was my brother at the same ages some 7 years later, very odd as zero family history of it. He has immense control and eats 'clean' all week with lots of carbs and yet only ever injects 4/5 units whereas I am the complete opposite, rubbish control eat well with low carb 70% of the time and yet inject massive amounts of insulin and now take metformin too. The highest he has been is about 16 and I've been double that...I wish my diabetes was more like his! :(

diggerhtfc

When I was diagnosed type 1 my wife asked the nurse at the diabetic clinic if it meant my son (now 3) was anymore likely to be diabetic - she said no but if I have siblings (I have an older brother) they might be susceptible. Is this accurate?

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance

Hi
My Dad, my sister and my cousin all type 2. - and who knows who before us?? On my Dad's side most of the deaths were heart disease related and I'm fairly convinced that they could have been type 2 but undiagnosed.

Cathy N

PetiteSJ

kareeta said:
Hi

I was DX Type 1 at 21 and so was my brother at the same ages some 7 years later, very odd as zero family history of it. He has immense control and eats 'clean' all week with lots of carbs and yet only ever injects 4/5 units whereas I am the complete opposite, rubbish control eat well with low carb 70% of the time and yet inject massive amounts of insulin and now take metformin too. The highest he has been is about 16 and I've been double that...I wish my diabetes was more like his! :(

I've not always been a good diabetic but seeing first hand the consequences of not taking control of my diabetes it was more than enough to kick me up the bum!! Don't beat yourself you sound like you're trying & that's more than some maybe your background insulin needs to be adjusted or your fast acting ratios need to be reviewed can I ask if you've been offered the DAFNE course? You may find that beyond useful I know that I did :grin:

diggerhtfc said:
When I was diagnosed type 1 my wife asked the nurse at the diabetic clinic if it meant my son (now 3) was anymore likely to be diabetic - she said no but if I have siblings (I have an older brother) they might be susceptible. Is this accurate?

Hmm not necessarily my fiancee is also type 1 he has an older sister & a younger brother they've not been told that my fiancee is apparently a one off! The only thing that will put your brother higher in the at risk category is if there's a family history of diabetes as far as I know sorry if I haven't been much help :?:

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2

My family has a long history of Type 2 diabetes. On my mother's side, it was her father and herself, me and my daughter, so 4 generations. A cousin on my mother's side had Type 1, and I believe an uncle had Type 2. My father also had Type 2.

nicky 72

my mother , sister , brother & me all have type 1 diabates . my mum had tests done saying there was a 1 in 4 chance that 1 of her children would get diabetes , then all of us got it . :D

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(

PetiteSJ said:
kareeta said:
Hi

I've not always been a good diabetic but seeing first hand the consequences of not taking control of my diabetes it was more than enough to kick me up the bum!! Don't beat yourself you sound like you're trying & that's more than some maybe your background insulin needs to be adjusted or your fast acting ratios need to be reviewed can I ask if you've been offered the DAFNE course? You may find that beyond useful I know that I did :grin:

Hi
I'm a 'good' diabetic 95% of the time, unless I suppose I can be classed as bad for having carbs, which I do class myself as I know I get lower levels without them. I just need more willpower :roll:
Yes DAFNE has been mentioned but 5 days off work doesn't seem viable at the mo, would rather like a holiday at some point but then maybe my priorities are wrong. I think stress causes a lot of my high readings , going to try some extra exercise in the form of cardio this week.
Thanks for your reply
Karen