What do I ask the Doctor?

baileybunny

Hi am needing some advice please, I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 6 months ago. My blood sugar is 16.7 after a 24 hr fast and the doctor gave me metformin. I work in the community and I cant take it as it makes me very sick. The doctor then said I would have to go on needle injections and when I mentioned my needle phobia he told me to get over it. I am currently on no medication as I dont know what else to do. I asked the doctor about the gas injection system for insulin and he said he had never heard of it. I have an appointment to see another doctor in a few days time. Is there anything else I can take? Or ask him for? Or will I just have to accept passing out each time I see a needle?

hallii

One thing is for sure, with blood sugars at 16 plus you need some medication pretty quick.

Your doctor does have other oral medications you might be able to try, but if insulin was considered to be the best option for you ( I assume it was insulin but it might be Bydureon or something similar) then that is what the doctor thinks is best.

There are teatments available to overcome phobias, and they do work, you could ask about them.

Whatever, please do something, your BGs are to high and need treatment.

H

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
To baileybunny ......

Sounds to me that your gp may be taking the easy route...shifting you from his budget onto the local hospital clinic ?

There are more options to try before injections.

Metformin Slow Release, Gliclazide and many others, plus DIET and exercise !

I was TOLD by a dr at a diabetic clinic 6 YEARS ago that I MUST go on Insulin immediately, well , let me tell you that I put myself on a VLCHF diet. My current HBA1C is 36 ( 5.4 % ) , it's not easy but with effort, leave the spuds, pasta, bread etc alone.

I do imbibe a fair bit of alcohol, not totally sure it makes as much difference as has been claimed, but what the heck I ain't giving booze up for nobody ! It keeps me sane ( not too good on spelling ! ) and on the right track.

Cheers VAT's all round, Think....

Superchip

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Superchip. First, ask for Metformin SR the Slow Release version. Are you overweight? If so, then although Metformin is the best drug, other options such as Gliclazide and Sitagliptin might help although they have different mechanisms from Metformin. You must be on a low-carb diet. What was your last HBa1C blood test result assuming your doc gave you the test (he must)? You would only need to consider going onto insulin if your result was over 7.5% in old money.

baileybunny

Hi all thanks for replying, my HBa1C blood test result was 12. something. My fasting test is 16.7 and i'm on a no sugar carb free diet. Metformin makes me throw up every ten minutes. I work in the community so thats not realistic for me. Ive been off metformin for the last few months after I nearly got fired for the frequent sickness. I spend each day exhausted, my eyesight is blurry and the eye doctor says my sight is being damaged by diabetes somehow? And I have to have laser surgery or some such thing. I need to be able to march into the doctor and demand a medication that works and doesnt involve needles or me having to retire off work through sickness?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, your sugar is extremely high and must be reduced as it will be causing damage. Ask the doc for one of the other drugs ASAP to try to bring the sugars down a bit. The other drugs such as Glic and Sitagliptin usually have fewer or no noticeable side effects. I suspect you may well have to have insulin eventually. There is an insulin pump but I believe the NHS doesn't often prescribe it due to the cost. I suspect some counselling to help with the needle phobia might help