Medication dropped and feeling rough.

Tadpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not having puddings
Hi to you all, I had my last lot of bloods done in August 2012, and was told I am progressing nicely. Imagine my surprise last Monday to find an answer phone message from my clinic saying "they have reviewed my bloods and have decided to drop my metformin from 2 a day to 1 at breakfast." This just happenss to tie in with my request for a repeat prescription.

So, like a good boy, I started taking 1 a day from then, (I will have to, they have already altered my script for collection).
Now the good bit, from Thursday onwards I am feeling hungry, even though my diet has not altered, i am feeling sleepy and lethargic, and I am getting irritable and tetchy, ie losing my temper, not something I have done for a long while.
I am also noticing my eyesight is a little more fuzzy and not as clear, ie struggling with my varifocals.

I know it is not my imagination as my wife has made various comments over the weekend as to my changes.

I really want to cut down on the meds but feel this is not right. I took some readings this morning and compared them to some old ones and I am 1.5 to 2 mm0ls up on all my readings. Just feeling this cant be right. :sick:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi TadPaul, the maximum dose of Metformin 1000mg (bi daily) will only help to reduce bg levels by between 1 and 2 mmol/L so it would be unusual for a drop of 1 tablet to make a make a major diference in your levels, are you taking the 500mg or the 750ng tablets?

I am on the max dose (4 x 500mg tablets) and dropped one tablet a day for a few days and I noticed an increase of around .5 mmol/L and decided to stay on the max dose as I like to stay as low as possible. If you are concerned I would advise you discuss it with your doctor, we are all different and you may react to it differently to most.

Maybe start recording your levels at fasting - first thing in morning - and other times in the day like before and two hours after meals and get a pattern and then make an appointment to see your doctor and discuss the readings together, there will be a difference but it should not be as large as 1 or 2 mmol/L.

Is it possible that you are harbouring some sort of infection? I understand there are a lot of virus's doing the rounds at present.

Tadpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not having puddings
Thanks for the reply Sid,
I have just back from the surgery, and the DN says I have been reduced to 1 Metformin because "you are well in the guidelines for 1 tablet, with your last bloods, and I cannot overprescribe."
She gave me a meter, bless.
Tested my BG at 5.6 and said I am tired because I am hungry. Go figure! ! !

Ah well must take BG readings for a couple of days and report back next week.

hallii

Try asking the doctor and by pass the nurse.

Explain how you feel and why you want the extra 500mg.

Metformin is a cheap and effective medication and I cannot see a reasonable doctor refusing it.

Of course if you show that your BGs have started to climb since reducing the dose :wink: it would be the proper treatment to put it back where it was.

H