how high and how low have you been?

the.candy.man

wow, great to hear so much reply on the matter.

personaly my highest to day has been beyond my meters range, but it stops reading in numbers at around 50, as iv had readings of 47 in the past, and a few that are just "HI". my lowest reading was 1.9 a few moonths ago, and i did not expect it. having just downed a can of rockstar, as i often do before a vigorous excersize, i did not expect a drop.

since then i have, within limits, tried to ignore my hypos. i try to focus and bear it whilever i feel safe to do so, still with the packet of jelly babies at hand. i find that, not only can i wait them out and my levels will gradualy rise on their own given enough time, but that it makes any following hypos easyer to deal with. i will admit that my first few hypos terrified me, but now i have explored it a little more, i feel i can deal with them better, and much more rationaly, albiet, a little shakey.

i wouldnt recomend anybody else do this, as im sure its not good for you, and i clearly have very little grip on this disease, what with 2 years diagnosed, and fluctuating from 2 to 50+, so i wouldnt take my advice anyway, but i feel safer with hypos now that ai understand a little more, about how it effects me personaly.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a HI reading on my meter... that was over 32 and it was when I was a teenager. I was 34 at diagnosis I think. I do quite often get a 20+ reading and I just feel tired and very thirsty. I agree that the insomnia from high blood sugars is so annoying. All I want to do when I'm high is sleep and I never can.

I've fitted a couple of times from hypo needing a glucagon jab. I don't know what my blood sugar was then though. The lowest reading I've had was 1.9 and I was barely staying conscious. If it gets down to around 2.4 I really start struggling but usually I can recognise a hypo by the time I've go down to about 3.

daisy3174

Hi, highest around 18mmol, lowest 2.2mmol. am Type 2?Mody? No medication at present,, but have frequent Hypos and Highs,I know I am going low with anything in the 4s, feel shaky inside, start sweating,jelly legs, at 2.2 I am physically shaky, losing my rag and start slurring but manage to treat just.At 18 feel like I have had a couple of Vodkas x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been over my records and the lowest recorded figure was 3.2

The highest recorded figure was 14.9 but there were two years after diagnosis when no records were kept. I used to get tired and couldn't keep my eyes open etc. The 14.9 was when I was under some management and after the period when I was told to "Eat healthily and do some exercise".

A speculative blood test taken by a nurse when she suspected diabetes was only 13.9 but I had not eaten or done anything to cause that so her suspicions were founded.

ellecook79

My highest was 46 (hospital test) in the afternoon - was down to 12 three hors later (god knows what was going on there). That was a good few years ago when I was newly diagnosed. I do however regualrly get spikes of 20-25+ if I have a high carb meal such as pasta or baked potato - it can take 3 or more hours for me to come back down to a reasonable level. I try to low carb to avoid this but am not willing to ban carbs completely if that is what I really feel like eating!

I have been in minus figures before according to my testing kit - was not fully conscious so my mum tested.

Have to say things have settled down considerably since going on the pump although I still have problens with morning highs no matter how low I am on going to bed (e.g. 7.1 last night going to bed and woke up at 16) and no matter how I tweak my basal through the night!

Elle x

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Highest was 11.2, 2 hours after a mince pie the first Christmas after diagnosis (2010).

The lowest was 3.2, 2 hours after a wholemeal cheese sandwich followed by an ice cream with a flake! Who know what was going on there? :crazy:

I'm normally always within the non-diabetic range now, using very-to-medium low carb and 3 x 500mg Metformin daily. I've been a bit undisciplined re carbs over the Christmas break this time, and have only just got my fasting back in the non-diabetic range - 5.4 this a.m. - but I've never been above 10 this time and that was another mince pie. I just can't take 'em!

I was caught early 'cos my GPs have been running a book on me being Type 2 :roll: :lol:

Viv 8)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I've often had a 'HI' come up on my meter and the highest reading I've seen that was measurable was 33.2.

The lowest I've had was 2.4 when I was new to insulin and was able to correct myself luckily as I've known people in a collapsed state at around that level. :(

pgra0909

hi I'm new to the forum but finding it very interesting. I've type 1 and had it for 17 years. was on two injections up until 17 months ago when I done DAFNE now I inject every time I eat which is a pain and i'm starting to find it hard. my highest has been at the point where I couldn't get a reading and lowest was on Tuesday through the night ware my wife had to call an ambulance as I was down to 1.7 and all I can remember is when I come round there was a drip in my arm which a paramedic was holding. first time in 17 years this has happened. but I have regularly been low around 2.5 ish and high around 20's but I know about it and feel the symptoms.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Elc1112

Highest is "HI", which is over 33.3 on my meter. This was when I was diagnosed and once when I was in hospital as the nurse turned my insulin sliding scale off. Lowest is "LO" which is believe is under 1.2. I did not feel so good then! My sugars normally don't get anywhere near this low but I had been involved in a car accident and was trapped in my car with no way to reach my lucozade a etc. I wasn't driving so I had not tested before getting in the car. I normally feel my sugars dropping and they rarely go below 3.5. I think the shock of the accident threw my hypo awareness a little!

CambridgeLass

Great question! It's been a month now since my 6yr old girl was diagnosed. On that day the highest was 31, no ketones, just symtoms of thirst. We then started insulin and the next couple of days we were in the 20s. The lowest we have had since is 2.8, twice now, both at home before bedtime but with no real symtoms. At school she sometimes feels low in the afternoon and has a dextra tab ~ the 3.5 mark.

paulallington

Highest when first diagnosed was 33 (off the meter, lol) and was at work and driving that day. Lowest 1.9.. I get sickly symptoms of being low at 6 and below.

Phidgers

My highest level was when I was first diagnosed. I was 3 years old at the time, and the year was 1990. Due to diabetes being less well known than it is today, It took over a year to diagnose me, despite my parents asking specifically about diabetes. Therefore, my blood sugars were around 60, and I was lucky to have survived. Since then the highest I have ever been was 44, which was about 12 years ago when I managed to contract Flu despite being vaccinated. THAT was a fun trip to hospital! The lowest I have ever been recorded was about 1.2, again by paramedics.

PetiteSJ

Fortunately I haven't been too high just had my meter being polite saying HI :smile: so probably in the 30's & my lowest was 0.9 & I was still conscious!! My brother on the other hand was 74 when he was eventually diagnosed he was 5 years old & about 2 hours away from dying! Two months later I was diagnosed aged 6 but I was caught early luckily & my blood sugars were 18.

SJ

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only just started monitoring 4 days ago so my highest is 21.3 and my lowest is 13.8.

Starting injections on monday :)

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
My highest was about 27 I think, I don't remember anything higher than that anyway but I've been diabetic for 18 years so I'm bound to have forgotten some.
My lowest test was 1.2. It was because I was on metformin for my polycystic ovarian syndrome and it stopped me having hypo signs.
I have been in 3 comas from low blood sugar, twice needed to be hospitalised, but I wasn't able to test then and they were all through alcohol before I'd been on DAFNE.

twinkle1980

High: hi....or as I like to call it "death by trifle" was Xmas day and I had only been diagnosed 24 hours.

Low: 2.6 my first ever hypo!

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Highest 13.5, another victim of the fatal mince pie. Lowest 4.8 two days ago 90 min after eating a couple of pieces of chocolate. Yeah I know it makes no sense, but am used to that. :crazy:

elviscole

Iv had hi on my meter and lowest was 0.8 and slept solid for 36hours a few years ago, don't remember much of the 36 hours but was rough for a few days, thought at the time it was flu

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DCUK Forum mobile app

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Hi

I've had a few 'HIGH' readings from my meter down the years and I'm currently 20.3 , no sleep last night whatsoever. Lowest was 2.1 last week , up until starting metformin to use in conjunction with my MDI my lowest was 3.2

Karen

eggplant

Hi Candyman

The highest I've been is 27 mmol/L - a week after I was diagnosed (16 mmol/L on diagnosis). The highest I usually go without feeling any symptoms is around 14 to 16 mmol/L - at that level I feel tired and usually fall asleep for 10-15 minutes.

The lowest I've been is 2.6 mmol/L - in early stages of diagnosis (first few weeks) when still learning to deal with insulin (which I'm happily no longer needing these days) ... I felt terrible at that level - headache, dizzy, weak legs, nauseous - had to go and lie down for an hour and eat lots.

I start to feel hypo type sensations - mainly headache, ache at back of neck and weak legs if I go down to around 4 to 5 mmol/L.

These days I tend to hover between 5 and 8 mmol/L and control my BG through diet and exercise. :thumbup:

Very interesting thread. Ta.