Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
This is a new thread for all senior members here on the forum.
Here you can discuss diabetes issues and other health conditions 'plus more' ...

Cook and eat well as a senior person/diabetic .
Health matters as a senior person/diabetic .
Thrifty tips how to save and spend well .
Keeping warm in the winter tips/advice .
Keeping active safetly routines and lifestyle .
Recreational hobbies, crafts ,courses , interests.
Pre-retirement , retirement tips/advice .
Grandparenting and Family enjoyment .
Life after losing a spouse or partner .
Your faith, strength, hopes, dreams .
Yesteryear days and the past times .

Hope you all enjoy - its here for you :thumbup:
No 'fixed age' to define senior or judgements upon older members.
Just a place to help, support and share together .

Anna.

hallii

My reply has gone, disappeared, I still say that to introduce a special topic for OAPs, Oldies, Wrinklies, or if you like "Seniors" (U.S.) is ageist.

Maybe this reply should be disappeared as well?

Hallii. Who is aged 70, fit not senile and and not "Senior".

hallii

Are "Seniors" considered to be any different to "normal" diabetics?

Do you feel different?

I don't, I am a grandafther, I enjoy life, I ride a bike and go camping and hill climbing, I draw my pension and spend it, we are off to Romania in our small camper this year. Before then we will go to Portugal overland in the camper and ride the excellent ctycle paths down there.

I can't think of anything I do that might warrant a special "Seniors" label.

Maybe it's just me? Can we not all be people with diabetes?

Hallii.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agreed.. I'm senior due to having diabetes do long... But not because of age or thoughts..

Incidentally.. Please confirm what would make one a 'senior'.z

hallii

That's my point Donnellydogs, nothing makes you or me a senior citizen, (God how I hate that expression).

There seems to be a need somehow to slot people into catagories, and my least favourite is any term that places someone of a different age in such a catagory. As I have said, I am not a number (who said that then?) I am a person, age is immaterial.

H

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hallii said:
That's my point Donnellydogs, nothing makes you or me a senior citizen, (God how I hate that expression).

There seems to be a need somehow to slot people into catagories, and my least favourite is any term that places someone of a different age in such a catagory. As I have said, I am not a number (who said that then?) I am a person, age is immaterial.

H

This has been set up to "HELP" members as regardless of certain age,creed or disability
the forum is to support and help, encourage/inspire others.
[ it is impossible to please everyone ]

I often walk around with many a senior moment upon me :)
Glasses stuck upon my head - whilst looking for them.
Dropsy days when keep dropping things - dont know why? But hey - it happens .
Forget what day it is - many a time - dont even need alzheimers to do this one! :lolno:
Have to write things down - as will forget otherwise .

Many maturing older persons are WONDERFUL inspiring persona's
not like grumpy old fogies at all .
With much to contribute and inspire others with :thumbup:

Hence why I thought deeply about setting this thread up for you all .
Giving more options and opportunities for the topics of discussion/debate .
Plus help,share,inspire,encourage others .

If anyone wishes to remain ageless - then so be it - cant help but wonder what you say
when anyone asks THAT question :p

I love all tales and tips that the wiser maturer/older folk can pass onto the young.
It can educate , inspire , encourage , humble , guide/steer etc.

Since the question of what is the senior reference :?:
No age fixed nor judgement as noted in the sticky .
Flexibility and acceptance to chime in with anything that reflects
your life and diabetes experiences .

Much more positive to have this opportunity than not at all ...
Negativity isnt productive nor inspires anyone .

Anna.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will we have to submit our bus passes to post on here :shock:
I say no :thumbdown: I will continue to post along with everyone else .If I want to tell about my senior moments the general forum is where it will go
Grumpy O.A.P CAROL

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anna29, What a good idea, :) :wave:

The Thread name may have to be changed as it makes some if not all of us older members feel past it.

I am only 65 yet do not like saying I am retired even worse senior, (thank goodness I am a classic car person that deals with loads of young people that think I am in my early 50's.)

Might be a good idea to get a kind of vote system to change the thread name to something like " tips for elderly" "golden years" etc;

The thread is very good and greatly helpful to all of us old awarded fogies.
Roy, :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That is just it... When are you officially old??
A person can join SAGA at 50... I went on a SAGA hol at 40 with my mum.... (and disliked it as it made me so aware of the future prospects to come... It was like having a vision of the future at 40 yrs old)

I love older persons for wisdom and life stories etc and helping them in my daily living... But agree wholeheartedly with Izzzi... The name of it is very important...

Personally I view active posts before looking at any specific forum unless there is a particular question to ask. I like to see topics by ''unread, new, active' etc.. But know that new members are less likely to search these than going in to a specific area..

Not against idea .. Just personally wondered what age categories and 'oldie' is nowadays...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi All .

Any new idea for replacing senior moments title 'with' ...
Just let me know via PM please - will accept idea's , suggestions , put forward for new title :thumbup:

Havent a ruddy clue what age validates an 'oldie' nowadays :?:
Hence why I didnt stipulate a specific age or age to this thread .
Didnt DARE nor Wish to ...

All I wanted to do was give the opportunity of this to you . :)

Anna.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I heading to 50 this year and think I am still a youngster!!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have relocated this thread here .
More suited given the choices under topic .

Thanks Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'll be 60 next year and I don't mind being 60 at all. My hair is grey, I don't dye it and I don't try to make myself look younger than I am. My mind feels 17 and my body feels 60 and I'm well aware that my body is 60 years old so I don't push it to be anything other than what it is. Gravity has taken its toll, my feet are no longer pretty, I have toes that suddenly became crooked but I wear sandals in the summer because I do NOT care about my age, my deformities, my wrinkles, my grey hair offending anyone who is 'sensitive to the ravages of age'.

I've never fallen for the hype that tells us that 40 is the new 30, 60 the new 50 etc because I saw that very quickly as the political ploy it is - get us to think we're younger than we are and we may not notice those extra years the Government plonked on the baby boomers working life! Conspiracy theories? Yep I believe in a lot of them especially where social engineering is concerned and how we're all being guided to believe we can live forever if we can have a nip and tuck, dress 20 years younger than we are and possibly behave 30 years younger than we are.

Fifty has always been 50, 60 has ALWAYS been 60, it's just that we're encourage these days to pretend we're younger than we are. So what's wrong with accepting our age and neither being proud of nor ashamed of it?

I'm well aware my best years are gone, I used up all my energy on looking after my family, my parents and working to pay the mortgage. I still got older and sicker in the process and that's life. Now, I'm happy to be 60, I can refuse evenings out with people on the grounds that I need to be in bed by 9pm or I can't function the next day or that I simply don't like crowds, restaurants or shopping for the sake of it. I can nod off in my chair without worrying that I've wasted some time sleeping. I don't feel the need to fill my time being 'useful' or 'purposeful'. I can be me and to hell with what anyone thinks.

At first I was indignant but now I'm even more grateful for that 'invisibility cloak' that is bestowed upon menopausal women that allows us to blend into the background where we can think about all the things we never had time to think about when we were busy being young and where we can be ignored and not bothered by conversations and clap trap that no longer interests us. I'm free to NOT talk about shoes and handbags all day long just to fill in the gaps in conversation. I can engage in MEANINGFUL conversation or keep my mouth shut and feel perfectly OK about it. When you work in an office, the amount of shoe, handbag and fascinator that substitutes for meaningful conversation never ceases to amaze me, and I can honestly say I really can't abide the 'girlie' conversations that take place. I never was part of them at 17 because I found them boring and I'm not suddenly going to turn into a 'girlie' at 60 years of age because fashion or the Government's social engineering agenda, dictates it.

I suppose I'm quite 'shocking' really ... I'm an outspoken 60 year old whose eyebrows aren't as defined as they were, who doesn't wear make up, doesn't dress in tight fitting clothes that barely meet around the middle (God I hate that shabby chic style that reminds me of very poor quality tailoring and makes everyone look as if they couldn't afford a few metres of extra cloth). And I'm sure I've shocked many a person who expected me to dye my hair purple or rusty red.

I have a sister who's 7 years older than I and whose hair is the colour of mahogany. The older she gets, the darker she dyes it in an effort to look younger, yet the effect is to make her wrinkles even more obvious. The hair just doesn't go with the face.

And in case you're wondering ... no, we don't get on at all. We may be sisters, but she hated me on sight from the minute I was born and as she got older she never changed her opinion about having a younger sister. She simply didn't mature enough to accept that younger people come along in life and there's nothing we can do about it. Dyeing our hair doesn't make us as young as them, trying to disguise our age doesn't change anything. Only acceptance does that. And over the years I have eventually grown to dislike my sister every bit as much as she dislikes me and again, I'm 60, I'm happy with disliking people now instead of wearing myself out trying to be accepted by them. Who needs it? Life's short enough without spending half of it on superficial clap trap.

End of monologue and apologies in advance if my opinions have caused offence. :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
mish1953 said:
Grace - love your post :clap:

Awww thanks Mish 1953 ... I'm a 1953 model too and I'm nothing if not honest and forthright. Can't help myself these days. The older we get the less time we have left to be honest and authentic and I think it's important to be both of those things. :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Loved posts too, really a fabulous reckoning and thoughts on life!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
We call children 'children', we call adolescents 'adolescents', we call youth 'youth', we call middle aged 'middle aged' - what's the problem with calling seniors 'seniors' ... :***:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I agree with you Grace. "Senior moment/s" is a nice expression as well. Much better than "old".

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
daisy1 said:
I agree with you Grace. "Senior moment/s" is a nice expression as well. Much better than "old".

Daisy, I think 'Senior Moments' were invented by the Universal Boss to make sure that at some point during our lives, we actually learn an important lesson - how to laugh at ourselves! I've learned to do plenty of that in the past few years. I even managed to laugh at myself when I slipped on ice after getting out of my car last year and ended up semi-conscious from banging my head on the wheel of my car. The world looked incredibly silly from where I was lying, the stars were twinkling and I was groaning and groping around on the pavement hoping I hadn't broken anything. I've had so many pavement falls in the past 15 years that I now walk differently outdoors. I look a bit like a hen, raising each foot and hesitating before I put it down in front of me. :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
:lol: Glad you're being careful. I feel most unsafe on snow and ice too. Nothing to do with age though as it can happen to anyone.