Anyone else get down about highs?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had a few highs today (couple of 11s and a 12), not entirely sure why. Think I gave myself too little insulin last night and had a stressful day at work.

Anyway, I get really down in the dumps when I get highs, beat myself up and am not the best to live with! Does anyone else get this? How do you talk yourself out of it?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep. I do.

Always worries me until they drop.. Then my normals enable me to forget them...

However... i do tey to kearn from my highs.. Whether ill ess, food or just me...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just a thought.. Been dxd 25+ yrs.. Still get highs.. So not really learnt alot!!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm with you - get down and worry about high numbers. I've had 11s today again and I get these random hi numbers quite often which I really get stressed about. I'm sure this makes it worse, so recently I've tried to be a bit easier on myself and when I do get high readings I do a correction and tell myself that they will be back to normal within a few hours. It does help to relax a bit.
I find it very difficult not worrying about them though. So sorry, no real advice but just a bit of support to let you know that others are very similar to you.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Me too, I seem to coast along really well, then I get a high, sometimes out of the blue, and I feel thouraghly fed up with myself. Its par for the course, I think everyone goes through this from time to time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try not to beat yourself up too much, so many things can impact on bg readings such as illness, stress, hormones, miscalculation of insulin/carbs and poor absorption, I find it's better just to take corrective measures and monitor the situation and look for the obvious...... if at all possible!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sam!

Yeh, I'm exactly the same. I feel despair when I don't know what's caused the high. I know it's daft and I'm trying so hard to let it go, because, as you say, it doesn't make us very easy to live with.

Smidge

LEmes1980

I feel exactly the same about high numbers, my sugar was really bad last April, so bad in fact my Diabetic nurse told me I wouldn't live to see 50. Back then my sugar was always between 12 and 17 and when she gave me a stark realisation of what was happening I immediately changed my diet by almost cutting out carbohydrates completely, I only eat porridge and steamed rice as carbs now. My sugar is now between 4 and 6.5 at its highest but I too get freaked out when it goes higher than a 7 and even an 8 after I've eaten even though that's normal. I think it's going from one extreme to the other and I'm trying to find the right balance because on the flip side I've had lots of hypos due to wanting to keep my readings down I've sometimes taken a bit too much insulin, it's like a vicious circle sometimes.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So nice to know I'm not the only one. Well not nice other people go through it, but you know what I mean!

No highs today. Its inevitable that i'll get high levels, just need to not beat myself up over it so much.

Cheers guys