Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems

VickiT11979

Hi, I do, but only on a trial basis. There are a few people I think who use them long term, hopefully they'll be along at some point to help you. Donnely'sdogs (think that's how you spell it) has funded CGM & uses the Abbott system, someone called Ali has NHS funded Medtronic CGM with a Medtronic insulin pump.

I've just finished a trial with the Animas Vibe pump & dexcom CGMS, and found it very good. I got 2 sensors given to me by Animas, the first lasted a good 13 days then started being inaccurate at times so I took it out at day 14. As my skin looked in really good nick after having it in for that long, I left the 2nd sensor in until it actually failed, which was at 18 days exactly. I'd noticed quite a few inaccurate readings from about day 14-15 though, so I reckon you'd probably get 2weeks good use out of a sensor. Again my skin was in great condition, no signs infection.

The sensors are quite small, easy to insert & feel well anchored to my skin, though I did use extra stuff to keep them in for so long. You can't feel them at all, and mine were really very accurate - I'd get the odd reading of maybe 20% out but they were usually within 10% of my finger stick tests.

One good thing about the Dexcom system is that you can calibrate whether your BG is rising, falling or stable - the Medtronic one requires a stable BG, so you couldn't calibrate soon after a meal for example.

I'm going to get a 2 sensor trial with the Medtronic system on Jan 31st as well, so will know more how they compare after that.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the Dexcom G4 CGM and I'm self funded, UK based, using a Accu-Check Combo Pump. I looked at all the CGM's and chose to go with Dexcom and I'm very pleased with it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi
I have Navigator Freestyle CGM along side a Roche accuchek combo pump.
Have had lots of inaccuracies as listed on previous posting.
Having spoken to another user from same hospital on Friday, I am going to give this Abbott Freestyle Navigator another go tomorrow.

I do believe that with all this equipment it is so very important to get honest genuine feedback from users before making up your mind about any equipment.

If I had a choice of cgm it would not be an Abbott Freestyle Navigator.

sf352

Dislikes
Diabetes!
Thank you very much for the replies. Some interesting points there. I'm still on injections at the moment but my be moving to a pump soon. Still not sure if it will be practical for work though. I'm a firefighter and am dubious of a pumps durability under certain conditions. I was interested in the CGMS from a sports perspective. I do quite a lot of cycling and racing and i'm looking to keep more accurate record during events as testing while riding can be tricky to say the least!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too use CGM for sports, I'm a white water kayaker, I use a Dexcom G4 and turn up the alarms. Keep the receiver in a small phone dry case either in my dry suit outside arm pocket or in front zip on my buoyancy aid. It works fine and its amazing too. I could be kayaking down rivers and I can hear the alarms over the sound of the rapids.

The downside for me is my Pump and CGM are not compatible - so are separate, but I find that ok.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it cost me around £1300 for the trial unit with two sensors for two weeks, if returned you get most of your money back. Sensors then cost £250 for a set of 4. So far each sensor has lasted me two weeks. You get them from Advanced Therapeutics.

There are three CGM's available in the UK, some are pump compatible (if you have the right pump).
Dexcom G4 £975 (4 sensors costing £250 with claims they last 14 days each)
Abbott Freestyle £950 (6 sensors costing £240 lasting 5 days each)
Meditronic Guardian £1599 including 5 sensors (5 sensors costing £275).

VickiT11979

Eeek, those dexcom sensors are quite a bit more than I'd been led to believe! I was told £54.64 including VAT, and as a self funder you don't pay VAT so it worked out as £46.50 each or £186 for 4. That's a huge difference in price - think I may be leaning towards the Medtronic system now.

I've been given prices for Medtronic & Dexcom if bought when the pump is supplied - £585 for Medtronic, including 5 sensors, the transmitter & charger, and £500 for the Dexcom, including transmitter & 4 sensors. The transmitter wears out after a period of time (heard Dexcom one lasted 7months from another self funding user, Medtronic owners say theirs last around 18months) then it needs replacing, which costs £350 for each type.

The Medtronic prices I've checked with their rep 2 wks ago so I'm sure of them, will recheck my Dexcom figures in a couple of weeks when I meet the rep again, as sounds like I may be wrong with them.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With postage I'm paying £257.50 for 4 sensors. Maybe I should check if I'm paying VAT ?. Vicki where did you get the price from ?

Also Dexcom replacement transmitter lasts up to a year and costs £250, so similar pricing to Meditronic.

Last point is to look at physical sizing, Dexcom G4 is much smaller transmitter and receiver than all others.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dexcom just told me they are £62.50 each exclusive of VAT plus £7.50 pp. Also a bit cheaper if you buy in lots of 8 rather than 4.

sf352

Dislikes
Diabetes!
Was on to advance therapeutics and the sent me a price list ex vat. £975 for the receiver and transmitter and £250 for a 4 pack of sensors. They included a vat exemption form for diabetics. Not sure if I'd qualify here in Ireland though?

VickiT11979

Am not sure - I looked into it in May 2012 & again in Oct & wrote down what I'd found, but not the source of info. It may have been from other diabetics rather than the company - I remember being in touch with Abbott in May but can't remember that about Animas or Medtronic.
Sorry to have misled anyone - at least we all know the correct prices now, thanks for checking Chas.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for posting this info on the G5, I'd heard rumours of their being a smart phone version, lets hope it's not too far away.

VickiT11979

Update on costs for the Animas/Dexcom combined CGM - the sensors DO cost £186 for 4, or £46.50 each. They cost more for people using the standalone Dexcom CGM system. Animas rep told me this morning, says she thinks Advanced Therapeutics bump up the price - though I wonder if Animas intentionally don't make a profit on them to encourage people to choose their pump.

She also said she trialled a system until the transmitter battery died & it lasted 12 months for her, with continuous use.

So the cost for 1 year's continuous use (sensors used for 14days instead of 7) would be £1569.50.

In contrast, Medtronic sensors last less long (I've been told 9-10days), so assuming they last 10days & the transmitter lasts 18months, the cost for 1 year used with the Veo pump (NHS funded pump) is £2265.

Over 3 years I work out Animas/Dexcom costs £4708.50 & Medtronic costs £6447.50.

I've found the Dexcom sensors to be more accurate than the Medtronic ones (though both are good), I prefer the user interface of the Medtronic system - the predicted hypo or high alarms are great & the alarm sounds wake me up.

As I'm self funding, I think I'll choose the Animas Vibe pump with Dexcom sensors. Being waterproof is also a plus.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Vikki,
Thanks for that update, does the price you quote for the dexcom include the transmitter cost? Did you get it a bit cheaper beacuse you're getting the pump at the same time? I must call the rep when I get a chance and go through everything about costings so I can save up some pennies. This post has been really helpful cheers.
Laura

carb-counting-mum

I'm waiting for the new medisensor to be approved for children. As it is a non-invasive (optical) glucose measuring system, it sounds perfect for my little girl. Should be available to buy (without prescription) very soon for adults, you can only reserve one at the moment. Cost: $4000, that's around £2,500. The units should last a minimum of 4 years, consumables are roughly $100 per year (gels and adhesive). Really excited about this system, such a shame it's not been approved yet for kids :(

VickiT11979

Hi Laura, yes that did include the cost of replacement transmitters. Some Medtronic users have said their transmitter lasts more like 20months, and some Dexcom users have said it lasted 10months, which might make the cost more similar, but Animas/Dexcom still looks cheaper.
It also looks like the starter kit of a transmitter & 4 sensors just costs £500 whenever you buy it - this is the most cost effective way of replacing your transmitter I think as the rep says a transmitter alone costs £325, so you're getting 4 sensors for £175.

I like the sound of the non invasive one, but it's pretty big & as it's so new I prefer to hang on & see what the general opinion of other users is before buying it. I'd hope that a new smaller version might get to market in a few more years.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Is there a reason why people never look at cost of Abbott cgms?