Anyone else the same?

lexilox

Re: Anyone else the same?

Statistics (according to DAFNE) of Type 1 diabetes inheritance are :
if neither parent has T1 = 1 in 250 chance,
if mother has T1 = 1 in 50-100 chance,
if father has T1 = 1 in 20 chance,
if 1 sibling has T1 = 1 in 15-30 chance,
if 1 sibling and 1 parent has T1 = 1 in 10 chance.

misslotty1

PetiteSJ said:
kareeta said:
Hi

I was DX Type 1 at 21 and so was my brother at the same ages some 7 years later, very odd as zero family history of it. He has immense control and eats 'clean' all week with lots of carbs and yet only ever injects 4/5 units whereas I am the complete opposite, rubbish control eat well with low carb 70% of the time and yet inject massive amounts of insulin and now take metformin too. The highest he has been is about 16 and I've been double that...I wish my diabetes was more like his! :(

I've not always been a good diabetic but seeing first hand the consequences of not taking control of my diabetes it was more than enough to kick me up the bum!! Don't beat yourself you sound like you're trying & that's more than some maybe your background insulin needs to be adjusted or your fast acting ratios need to be reviewed can I ask if you've been offered the DAFNE course? You may find that beyond useful I know that I did :grin:

diggerhtfc said:
When I was diagnosed type 1 my wife asked the nurse at the diabetic clinic if it meant my son (now 3) was anymore likely to be diabetic - she said no but if I have siblings (I have an older brother) they might be susceptible. Is this accurate?

Hmm not necessarily my fiancee is also type 1 he has an older sister & a younger brother they've not been told that my fiancee is apparently a one off! The only thing that will put your brother higher in the at risk category is if there's a family history of diabetes as far as I know sorry if I haven't been much help :?:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sent from my GT-P3110 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hi, me and my half brother are type 1 ?? No family history on any side. My brother was diagnosed age 15 in 2005
I was diagnosed age 29 in 2011. On the plus side it has definatly brought us closer and he does not feel so alone :) we do both worry about our children though. X

PetiteSJ

lexilox said:

Thank you so much lexilox I think I should refresh my memory on DAFNE :lol: time to get the book out!!

SJ x

PetiteSJ

Hi, me and my half brother are type 1 ?? No family history on any side. My brother was diagnosed age 15 in 2005
I was diagnosed age 29 in 2011. On the plus side it has definatly brought us closer and he does not feel so alone :) we do both worry about our children though. X[/quote]

That's a good thing that you are closer because of being diagnosed my brother was 5 & I was 6 at diagnosis only 2 months between us getting diagnosed!! The pregnancy planning side of diabetes says that if the mother has diabetes there is a lower risk of their children getting diabetes although if the father has diabetes there's a higher risk, the nurse I spoke to said no baby is born with diabetes but they can develop it later on I have been an inquisitive little lady :lol:

SJ x

lexilox said:

what are the percentages if the father and mother both are t1's ? sj has diabetes in her familly where as i dont at all im classed as a one off!
me and sj(im the financee :grin:) are planning at the moment so im curious!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

but would.this count if my diabetes isnt hereditory? so technically i havent got the diabetes gene?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

stephanie23

hi i am 24 and my sister and i r both t1 i have been for 20 yrs her 16 yrs no one no how we r the first in genernation

PetiteSJ

stephanie23 said:
hi i am 24 and my sister and i r both t1 i have been for 20 yrs her 16 yrs no one no how we r the first in genernation

Hiya Stephanie there could have been diabetes in your family as years ago many people went undiagnosed & unfortunately died of complications before a connection was made with diabetes & the complications were used as the cause of death thank our lucky stars medicine has evolved since then :lol:

SJ x

stephanie23

thank god for that and even now things are improving the pump for instance been a life saver for me but on back as far as we can medically wise and they can not find any thing or well its here to stay

marie-frances

I am a 4th generation diabetic.
My great grandmother was one,no treatment available then
My grand-mother( her daughter) had late onset and developed diabetic ulcers that never healed
Her 2 sons,my father and his brother both died of complications of diabetes
My father became blind and died of heart disease
He refused to follow any treatment or any diet
His brother followed a strict diet,was quite thin and on insulin
He had to have a leg amputation following a bedsore acquired in hospital and he died of a heart attack
I was diagnosed in my 40's
I have now retinopathy and glaucoma.Also had a beginning of Charcot now settled
Two sisters have also been recently diagnosed,one is quite thin ,the other is obese
I do not have any children so will not pass on the genes

What does the future holds?

m-f

Both my sisters were late onset diabetes Type 2 in their early fifties

The thin one follows her treatment and diet
The obese one unfortunately is behaving like my father:in total denial and thinks medication will solve it all without any effort

m-f

PetiteSJ

Wow!! My Gran has told me she remembers when she was a little girl & about her Gran (my great great Gran) how mahoosive the needles were & apparently she was a naughty lady not taking her insulin, having sneaky sugar on her strawberries, she had gone blind & eventually died from complications. I think my great great :inhales: great uncle died from complications too but the provisions & healthcare back then was a bit primitive compared to what we have now :smile:

Are your sisters type 1 or 2? If you don't mind me asking :)

And as for what the future may bring I hope it's amazing for you & your family :grin:

SJ x

violet6763

My sister is type one diagnosed at five. My brother is type one diagnosed at twenty seven and I have just been diagnosed at forty following an operation and an illness. One sister is left diabetes free but doctors think we have a gene that is triggered with shock or illness.

PetiteSJ

violet6763 said:
My sister is type one diagnosed at five. My brother is type one diagnosed at twenty seven and I have just been diagnosed at forty following an operation and an illness. One sister is left diabetes free but doctors think we have a gene that is triggered with shock or illness.

My brother & I had a virus then we were diagnosed there have been studies that suggest stress & illnesses are a factor in triggering diabetes.

I hope you're doing well being recently diagnosed (saying that you probably know what you need to know as you grew up with your brother & sister having it :lol: ) but as anyone on here will tell you if you want to ask anything etc you've got a lot of help readily available & lovely people happy to do so :grin:

SJ x

violet6763

Thank you :) I am doing okay carb counting etc but I am now in the honeymoon period apparently and feel awful. How long does it last?

PetiteSJ

I honestly can't remember I was 6 years old when I was diagnosed I think when I was diagnosed I didn't know any different :-(

I think that the honeymoon period will differ from person to person sorry I can't be more helpful hopefully some others can help..........hint hint :lol:

SJ x

Riversidegirl

Dislikes
Scare stories!

My aged aunt (Nan's sister) had T2 and a leg amputation in 1970s. My mum, late onset T2 - meds, My brother T2 at 45 - meds, My sister T2 at 56 - meds, me T2 at 53 no meds as yet.

Averaging 7s when testing but on my first 3mth review will refuse meds if offered as I would rather try diet only for at least 6mths. Am I being sensible or am I in denial?

What do you think?

PetiteSJ

Riversidegirl said:
My aged aunt (Nan's sister) had T2 and a leg amputation in 1970s. My mum, late onset T2 - meds, My brother T2 at 45 - meds, My sister T2 at 56 - meds, me T2 at 53 no meds as yet.

Averaging 7s when testing but on my first 3mth review will refuse meds if offered as I would rather try diet only for at least 6mths. Am I being sensible or am I in denial?

What do you think?

If you're keeping good blood sugar levels with just diet there's no reason why you should be put on meds many type 2's do it just keep up the good work :-D