Bydureon - Anyone using it?

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm starting weekly injections of Bydureon [exenatide] on monday and I was wondering if anyone has experience of it and what I might expect.

Jim

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I went to the diabetes nurse today to do my first injection.

First attempt was bad as I didn't put the kit together correctly and ruined it :)

Then I stabbed my finger with the needle and the tried to inject my trouser belt :lol:

So that's the first injection done :)

I've to go back next week to do it again until the nurse is confident I can do it properly.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
scottish-jim said:
First attempt was bad as I didn't put the kit together correctly and ruined it :)

Then I stabbed my finger with the needle and the tried to inject my trouser belt :lol:

:lol: :lol: I was put on insulin at diagnosis Jim and it took me about half an hour to give myself that first injection, dont worry though it gets so much easier once you get used to it :thumbup:

ps. Sorry I dont have any knowledge of Bydureon...but I'm sure someone will have.

susannoonan21

I been using bydureon for about 4 mth now I have a needle phobia so do find it hard to do but ammanaging every wk is a stuggle to do it but its bought my bm down from nearly 8 when I get up in morning to 4.2 so is well worth it has also helped me lose weight as well I am following slimming world plan but have now lost 1stone 8 in 4 mths

foxyccc

I only had one injection and had severe side effects of being sick continually and bad nausea and upset stomach, so the doctor told me that the drug was not agreeing with me and that we were not going to continue with it.

I was prescribed an anti sickness drug that I have just finished taking.

I do have ME or chronic fatigue syndrome so it may be that the drug was too strong for me, but this was my reaction to the drug. The GP said the drug had worsened my health so wasnt happy for me to continue (neither was I) At least I gave it a go!

I was told by the GP that the side effects were sickness and nausea but that the side effects lessen with time. It would have been good if the drug had worked but it wasnt for me
I hope you get the results you want with this drug.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
susannoonan21 said:
I been using bydureon for about 4 mth now I have a needle phobia so do find it hard to do but ammanaging every wk is a stuggle to do it but its bought my bm down from nearly 8 when I get up in morning to 4.2 so is well worth it has also helped me lose weight as well I am following slimming world plan but have now lost 1stone 8 in 4 mths

Thanks for your reply. :)

Sounds encouraging - especially weight loss as I really do need to lose weight.

Well done on your weight loss :thumbup:

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
foxyccc said:
I hope you get the results you want with this drug.

Thanks for that.

Definetely sounds wrong for you.

I haven't had any nausea or sickness - just a touch of diarrhea this morning which is a known side effect. Still only my first week so time will tell.

Thanks for the reply :)

susannoonan21

The side effects really started with me on about wk 3 and lasted for about 3 -4 wks werent pleasant especially when at work but I managed them if you feel to nauseus them eat a plain biscuit it does help

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
susannoonan21 said:
if you feel to nauseus them eat a plain biscuit it does help

Thanks for the tip :)

Wierdly I'm quite excited about this and it's made me take my diabetes seriously at last. :crazy:

in exile

I use Bydureon. It was a little difficult to get the mix right at first as I have problems gripping things at times, but I'm doing ok now.
This morning I went for my first blood tests since starting the injections 3 months ago.
With the weight loss, I seem to be losing bulk but not weight.

I don't get side effects, thankfully, and still take 2 Gliclazide a day as part of the control. When I used to take Metformin, I was sick after every meal and nausious throughout the day. I don't get that anymore, and I definatly eat less due to the Bydureon.

When I get my blood results back, I hope it's all good as the alternative is a 3 times a day injection using a pen (whatever that is!)

Good luck with it everyone.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
in exile said:
and still take 2 Gliclazide a day as part of the control.

They dropped me from two gliclazide twice a day to one twice a day and still taking Metformin SR [two 750mg]

Hope your results come back good :thumbup:

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woohoo had my second injection today and it was perfect. This is due to me watching the video, on the Bydureon website, over and over again.

One possible complication might be Pancreatitus!. There is a warning on the website that Bydureon may cause imflammation of the pancreas and I should tell my diabetes team if I've ever had pancreatitus. Well I was hospitalised, about two years ago, for a week with what they diagnosed as Ideopathic Pancreatitus. So my diabetic nurse is going to look into it and let me know if there will be a problem.

I hope I don't have to stop Bydureon as I'm just getting into the idea of once a week injections :(

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah well that's that then.

Got a call this morning from the diabetic nurse and she says that the doctor has recommended I stop using Bydureon due to the pancreatitus issue. So I've to go and see them on monday to start daily insulin injections.

I'm gutted :(