Diabetic Friendly take-away

MelissaZT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum and found the Diabetic friendly take-away chat a really big eye opener!

I've had Type 1 Diabetes since I was 11, I'm now 23 and I'm a fitness/dance instructor so I'm extremely active but I do enjoy a good take-away! I enjoy anything from a McDonalds or KFC to an Indian meal or my favourite - Nandos! I have large protions due to the amount of calories I burn (and I always have a huge appetite!) and although I don't have take-away's often I always have quite large portions of food for my evening meal. I do have small breakfasts, lunches and snacks which include fruit, veg and fish when I have time to cook it but reading your comments has made me realise maybe I should change my take-away habits...

I like to have chocolate or a milshake when I go to the cinema too as I'm sure most people will, could all of this be doing more damage than I've realised...???

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My mother is quite newly diagnosed (explanation in another post), but in the last couple of months we have been out for Thai food twice and had one chinese takeaway. Mainly, we just avoid any sauces that are sweet/sour/barbecue etc, opting for more purely savoury choices and just a small amount of plain rice, and her BS levels haven't shot up much higher than usual.

GXW6M

Ok what are we talking about,re takeaways??
I have a take away on a strictly once a month basis (Chinese curry ) Yea or nay. :problem:

LEmes1980

My diet is so boring because I fear my BS rising, this is due to OCD. All I eat is during the week is porridge, soup, fruit and chicken, veg and steamed rice. My treat on a weekend is an omelette lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

MSG...Like the aforementioned Trans Fats (Margerine!) is an absolute NO for Diabetics.
(Also watch your salt levels and use sea salt wherever possible).What they and it do is interfere with your cells at a molecular level and hinders their ability to correctly deal with insulin.
The cells become resistant and then you can't handle your sugar properly and prolonged intake can cause type 2 Diabetes.
If you're already down the type 2 road and you have had these fats in the past there is a natural supplement that has shown in several studies to regenerate beta cells in the Pancreas called Gymnema Sylvestre.
I'm not here to preach and you can take this as you wish, I was diagnosed 12 months ago and I'm 39, slim build had cholesterol at 20 and HB1AC of 14.
With my program of correct diet or eating if you will combined with 15 minutes daily exercise I smashed those figures consistently each month.
I don't take any prescribed medication and now my cholesterol is 4,7 and HB1AC last one was 6.8.
I can share more if anyone is interested- but I don't want to bore anyone- so sorry for going off topic a bit :D

pippin2345

What are all you people saying!!!! No takeaways because you are a diabetic, bunkum.....
l have been a type 1 diabetic for over 40years, l take Basal insulin once a day and fast acting with meals. l have a takeaway once a week and have no problems whatever l have. Its a case of understanding what you are eating and how long it takes to absorb into the body. All it takes is vigilance, l would suggest a blood test 3 hours after eating any meal to see how high the BS has gone and
adjust. l know all this comes with experience but you are all allowing the diabetes to take the upper hand, its a CONDITION not
an ILLNESS...After saying all this, don't abuse it, because its not in the short term you will have problems, its the long term.
In the 40 odd years that l have had the condition l have never had a problematic condition that is diabetic related. l heal quicker
than non diabetics and have some glorious tattoos to prove it. l have had several major surgical procedures and usually beat non diabetics to the exit for discharge. So please stop all the negativity, you'll let it ruin your life, this is not a rehearsal you have one
shot to enjoy your life so live it, Work hard at keeping good control it won't do it by itself and no doctors/consultants will do it for you.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
tiamaria13354 said:
fish and chips, i cant take it serious yet, no symptoms yet, but diagnosed in June 2012

A friend and I used to get one fish and chip supper and share it between us about once a month. I only have about 2 inches of the tail of the fish and a handful of chips but wow does my BS shoot up. I had a few after I was diagnosed but decided it just isn't worth it, so it's now off the menu.

But ASDA's chicken korma doesn't affect me, without the rice of course. :)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fish and Chips is my weakness..

But it's all about getting a good chippy, We've several near here and some of them are diabolical- Wayward Tyke Ramsbottom A.K.A Darrens is excellent, he doesn't fry with **** and My sugars afterwards aren't too bad. :shock:

Finzi

LEmes1980 said:
My diet is so boring because I fear my BS rising, this is due to OCD. All I eat is during the week is porridge, soup, fruit and chicken, veg and steamed rice. My treat on a weekend is an omelette lol

I'm quite new to all this so forgive me if I'm saying something that isn't right, or doesn't apply to you, but do you measure what foods make your BS rise or not? I'm just really surprised because of the six foods you mention, three of them make my BS shoot up (porridge, rice and fruit). And you don't mention any of the wonderful foods that you can enjoy on a low carb diet - steak, fish, shellfish, cream, eggs, butter, salads, cheese, pork, lamb, pulses, bacon, sausage, salmon, avocado, nuts etc etc. And omelette won't raise your blood sugar, it's not high carb - and you can fill it with cheese, mushrooms, smoked salmon, lots of things!

I've only been low carbing for ten days but I have reduced my fasting BS from 9.9 to 5.6, and lost 6kg in weight (a lot of that is water, of course). Even my HbA1C, measured 7 days in, dropped from 64 to 59 (8% to 7.5%)

It seem a shame, if you are going to have a limited diet, to limit it to things that may not even be that good for your diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Finzi, I was thinking exactly the same thing. It really doesn't help though that the diet sheets you tend to get, mostly advise the the old low fat, low carb way of eating, and also always seem to assume that there's a need to lose weight, which certainly isn't the case for my mother, and through this site I've observed she isn't the only one who is actually desperate not to lose further weight and would prefer to actually fatten up a bit.

julie42

I am fine with an Indian and thankfully that is my favourite. I generally eat palak or methi with 1 popadom and I pinch a spoon of pilau rice from my son. I keep it at around 6 but I can not eat naan. I make a lot of homemade curry too and have similar scores but I have to watch the rice. I often do aubergine as my filler.

My dad loves his fish and chips but can be 18, with mushy peas and a slice of bread he can be eating 130 plus carbs. No way would I eat it but as I have said on other posts he is 80 years old so i buy them as a treat and his smile says it all.

makka

Have you thought about a Lentil Dhal as a filler either at home or as a takeaway? It is as filling a rice usually has more flavour can be safely reheated if you don't eat it all and it should be lower carb than rice.

For home cooked there are loads of recipes on line to try!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
makka said:
Have you thought about a Lentil Dhal as a filler either at home or as a takeaway?
Finzi said:
I love lentil Dahl. I've always been a bit wary because of the carbs in the lentils but I think I will maybe try some and test and see.

Try to hunt down a type of lentil called "Chana Dal

chanadal.jpg

It has 59.7g of carbs per 100g but it does not move bg levels hardly at all :thumbup:

Google it and you will find lots of testaments to its kindness to bg levels in fact there have been several posts here referring to it in the past. I have found it occationally in the big supermarkets but its hit and miss.

David Mendosa says this about it http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

However ask for Chana Dal in an Indian restaurant and you will probably be given a chickpea curry (Chana Dhal or Dal) which is NOT the same thing, Chana Dal is a type of lentil in its own right and has an extremely low GI. That said my wife also makes a Chickpea curry at home called a Chana Masala which is pretty good bg level wise, although I only eat it in a two spoonful sized portion.

I think Ive posted the recipe for Chana Masala on this forum somewhere, have a search :thumbup: