Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't watch Holby but do like Casualty on a Saturday night, makes a nice change to hear that a tv programme is getting the message across about living with type 1 diabetes :)

jgibson1962

I dont think enough is really depicted in these programs about type 1 and 2 diabetes, there is an opportunity here to make people aware of diabetes and perhaps to show existing diabetics the worse case scenarios if they dont look after themselves. BTW wasnt the old fella in Emmerdale a Diabetic? i think it touched on it briefly in one episode. I think a good storyline would be one of the kids in Corrie to get diagnosed with type 1, it could be followed in detail from first symptoms to training the kid to self inject, imagine how easy it would be to train kids if they could identify with a role model....

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
there was a tyoe 1 diabetic in corrie years ago. Katie. Back in the day when Martin the nurse was still in it, he was having a relationship with her at the time.
I was only a kids myself back then but remmeber people assuming she was drunk etc to begin with.
She eventually killed herself with an overdose of insulin

jgibson1962

That's interesting, perhaps we are long overdue for a storyline focused on diabetes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
There was a storyline in Emmerdale not so long ago where a woman had diabetes and it depicted the symptoms of a hypo quite well, especially the fact that it may appear that the person is drunk.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33144

raffajaffa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gooseberries fish, medium to hot spices, strong alcohol as it does not agree with my liver
]That's interesting, perhaps we are long overdue for a storyline focused on diabetes.

To be honest I am always annoyed when the subject is brought up especially on TV.
Frequently they use the term, People Get Diabetes ? :crazy: / This brings it into the same category as any contagious or infectious disease in the minds of the public.Therefore IT IS COMPLETELY WRONG. :sick:
It would be more helpfull if the News presenters talked about becoming Diabetic or Getting on the diabetic ladder to help other people understand why this happens and what can be done about it. Suddenly having a tv soap character catching diabetes :thumbdown: is no help to education of a public who should be looking for signs of the disorder occurring.
I was initially self diagnosed because a TV doctor explained some of the symptoms on a tv news channel (Sky) Having every symptom she described (and more) I was amazed that my own Doctor had not picked it up over several years.
Recently I discover a neighbour who had had bypass surgery and was regularly visited by Doctors was diagnosed this year as diabetic. Four years after I had pointed it out based on six of these symptoms.He had to ask specifically for a DB check and even mentioned their was a family history ? I had done two random test of over 18 and 22.
So If they are going to do a storyline, maybe something along those lines would be ideal?... Obviously the medical profession wont agree?..