Lots of hypos, am I normal??

Mrs Mac

Hi, I've decided to post because I'm worried about the number of hypos I'm having at the moment and wondered if anyone can offer any suggestion. I'm 35 and was diagnosed type 1 just before Christmas (nice). I managed quite well to start with and made a decission to be positive and to get on with things as normal. My BG was high and each time it came down to around 5/6 I could tell as I felt lightheaded etc. I thought (smugly) that I'd never go fully hypo because I'd spot it quickly. How wrong I was!!

I've been having hypos after each evening meal for the past five days (and a few at other times) despite eating what I consider to be a normal meal. For example, I ate home made bean chilli (I'm vegetarian by the way) with brown rice. I was all pleased with myself but then had a hypo 2 hours later. Eventually I called the DSN who lowered my Novorapid from 9 to 7. However, I still had a hypo that evening. I was in a kick boxing class at the time I suppose but I've found this normally increases my BG. Argh! Frustrating!! Then, I was woken up this morning by another hypo (2.3 despite 16 before bed) This is the second time that's happened and I suppose these are the lows that have freaked me out the most. Why is it happening? Maybe my lantus needs adjusting now my levels have dropped a bit?? What happens if I don't wake up??

I'm worried about driving and going to work. I now feel really tired after my rude awakining. Am I panicking too much? Am I normal?? Have I rambled on too much? Did you get bored of reading???

Scheduled to see consultant and dietician in two weeks but I can't wait until then for answers!!
Thanks, feel better already for sharing/moaning!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I would lower my insulin for the next 2 weeks b4 seeing doctor and dietitian and be safe from hypo's.
You must recognise hypo's to keep driving so just for the interim I would lower my insulin.
You are in early days, yes you will need to get levels between 5-8 but you have to get this balanced with your food and life and exercise.
Getting dxd before Christmas will probably have meant you were on a slightly higher dosage (only from my own experience).
After xmas, back to work. normal routine stuff then mow your body is adjusting and so will your insulin needs.
Exercise such as kickboxing etc may well alter your bloods during and after.. That may be a suck n see aspect to yourdiabetes...you may well have to accept a slughtly increased bg before exercise to stop lows during or after it..or alter time of eating etc...

Early days, but I would def advise just lowering insulin a tad..Its all normal by the way... Just your body and you adjusting..

Mrs Mac

Thank you! I thought I'd need to lower my insulin. I was put on a fixed dose until I see the dietician and consultant again. I'm guessing they'll explain more about deciding on the dose for myself. I'm a bit nervous just change it myself but perhaps I'll give them a ring today. I never thought about Christmas, maybe they did put me on a higher dose in case I pigged out! I'm just frustrated, I know it a trial and error thing but I've never been good at waiting...I want control and I want it now! Also, a bit annoyed that I've been up since 5 after a lovely and now it's 6:30 and time to get dressed for work. All I want to do is sleep as feel rotten! Thanks again.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Poor you. Yup things can get a bit confusing just when you think you have it right. Are you on just novo rapid or do you have a background insulin. As already suggested, I would lower my meal time insulin. Sorry to say but it's early days, and I agree your body is getting used to what must have been a bit of a shock. I've been type 1 for over 50 years and went through many periods of uncertaintity, but you will get there. I found that correct carb counting helped a lot, but as you are newly diagnosed that's something for the future. Always make sure you have plenty of hypo stuff to hand also, but it's good that you are recognising when you are going hypo. Good luck

twinkle1980

Mrs Mac how awful for you! I got t1 for Xmas too, and at 32 so my case is not dissimilar to yours.

What system are you on? I know I was only on novomix for a couple of days but I found it really didn't suit me. I'm on levamir long lasting and novorapid with meals now. My dsn went through the basics of carb counting, and I bought the carbs and cals book to get me started... 3 weeks later and I'm learning about correction doses, and learning which foods effect me more than others. It's a case of trial and error and about learning which ratio you need for certain foods compared to others (it varies with me around time of day and time of month too!).
When you see your dsn next, discuss your treatment and find out if carb counting is working for you. Xx

violet6763

Hello Mrs Mac, I am 40 and was diagnosed as type 1 on the 22nd December last year. I was pleased I had a proper diagnosis as my doctors had told me I was poorly controlling my type 2 when I ate low carb all the time. The diabetic nurses said I should never have been diagnosed type 2 but was type 1 after an operation and illness two years ago. The first week on insulin I felt amazing, went to work all confident I was fine now, then the next week suffered blurred vision and headaches due to my body getting used to lower blood sugar after months of running in high twenties. I now have blood sugar readings before meals between 5 and 8 and carb count so I can alter my fast acting insulin accordingly. This all sounds great and probably braggy but suddenly two weeks ago I had hypos every afternoon with no warning. Just straight into hypo. The rest of the time I felt drained again, like before insulin. I have had to take time off work sick to allow my body to adjust and I think you need to. It is a recognised disability and shouldn't be counted against you, but I know it is still a worry but I think you need it. I rang the diabetic nurses at the clinic who are so good. I emailed my food sheets and readings and they suggested that every lunch time deduct one unit of insulin from my calculation. I haven't had a hypo since. They said that some people do different calculations for different meals. I was getting really low and you must be too. Hypos are really draining. Ring your clinic and have a chat, don't wait x

Mrs Mac

Thank you all so much, it's really kind of you to take the time to post a reply. In fact, I feel a bit tearful now, you have all been so nice. It's good to know that I'm not over reacting as some people think and that I'm not a weirdo! It's lovely to have some people at the same stage as me along with voices of experience. I've spoken to my DSN who has altered my lantus and Novorapid. She said that I'm going through the honeymoon period, some honeymoon!! She suggested that I'm beating myself up and that I need time to come to terms with my diagnosis. The pressure to "keep calm and carry on" is hard to cope with. I feel as though I should be able to carry on a normal, there are people who cope with a lot worse than diabetes after all. I worry that people at work might think I'm being a whimp. I know from reading posts on here that I will be back to normal eventually so I guess I need to "man up"!

I'll definitely ask about carb counting at my next app, I'm jealous Twinkle1980 that you've already started, you must be a star student ;-)

Had a day off work today, feel guilty and a bit pathetic but I feel exhausted.

Thank you all so much x

twinkle1980

Lol not a star student but I found the lovely people here right before my diagnosis (home tested on a hunch) was confirmed. So because I had read so much about carb counting, I asked the nurse to show me the basics... The rest is trial and error working out your tolerances and needs. I know I need more insulin at breakfast (dawn phenomenon I suppose as breakky is always v low carb), than I do at dinner. Breakfast ratio is 1:7.5, by dinner its 1:10 or even 1:15 (depends what I have and how I know it will effect me). Keeping a food diary is really helping me right now too, as I can track any unusual readings and often pinpoint the problem foods.

Good luck! We will conquer this fecking disease and get there... It's just so demoralizing sometimes. I hate having to carry around all this kit, but worry myself to death if I leave the house without it!

Sending you a virtual hug right now xx

violet6763

I feel the same. I know others are worse but I hate having to always carry a bag, having to count and weigh food and inject and my fingers are sore. Lol rant over but it felt good as no one understands. They seem to think I should be pleased I'll get better and I am but would like to feel better. I am lucky that my brother and sister are type one. I text them all the time and they say I am in the honeymoon period too. I hope it's quick!
I wonder if you have chest pain? I have had it for days and its worse today. Its right in the middle of my chest. I dont know whether to just leave it to go away as I think I am annoying people with my health now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Mrs Mac

Violet,
I know what you mean about annoying people, I annoy myself talking about diabetes this and diabetes that. My friends and family are really supportive but I'm sure they'll get bored soon! Good job we can rant on here! I haven't had any chest pains, just the old heart racing. I've suddenly become hyper aware of anything that may be 'wrong' and wondering if it's to do with diabetes. It seems to me that after years of taking god health for granted that it's time to look after ourselves. Maybe you should mention it to your doctor, what harm can it do? I was reassured by my DSN today to always ask if unsure.

Had a scary 1.9 hypo whilst having a little snooze today, I felt as though I was disappearing. It seems having a day off work was for the best!

Let us know about the chest pains. I hope you're ok.

violet6763

1.9 must have been really scary. 3.2 is my lowest and it's the shakes I hate the most. Also how long it takes to come out of it. I find the three meals a day at regular times a pain. I will put on weight I an sure. If I dont eat for two and a half hours I hypo. When did you last eat?
Oh and I hypo'd when I wasn't carb counting and ate a meal with no carbs but still injected. The insulin had nothing to work on.

Mrs Mac

I've had a couple of 1.9. It's weird because some of them didn't seem so bad as some I've had at 2.3. Maybe my monitor is dodgey? Mind you, today's one was a bit scary. My hubby looked a bit freaked out too! I was trying to talk to reassure him but only a whimper came out which probably made him fret more! I'd eaten porridge about 2 hours before the hypo. Annoying. I feel the same about having to constantly eat. I worked hard to lose weight 5 years ago and to maintain it, although I'm not overweight yet I'm beginning to feel frumpy and fat. Another reason I'm determined to keep up my exercise despite these pesky hypos! Perhaps next week though! Being off work and lying in bed probably doesn't help but it's all I'm good for today. How's the chest? Let us know what you decide.

violet6763

Its funny how we are going through the same feelings. I am not fat but prior to diagnosis I was eating double and now I have a tummy and feel frumpy and middle aged.
I'll ring the doctors at half two and get it checked. It will be nothing but at least I'll know and stop worrying. You need to get your hypos in order before you exercise. .I was told to stop trying to run before I could walk a couple of weeks ago. .you need to too. We must both be patient (except I have none)

twinkle1980

Just a quicky as its time for the school run, but OMG I am hating the regular eating! I was never a breakfast person so really have to force myself now.

2.3 has been my worst hypo after I decided I wasn't that hungry and had taken too much insulin. Hope your feeling better soon Mrs Mac.

Violet I hope you get to the bottom of those chest pains. I've only has a racing heart...actually been going on a while now, will mention it to dsn tomorrow at my appointment.

violet6763

I am the same at breakfast. Grumble lol.
I have a doctors appointment at half four. I think I am just paranoid. I went to a diabetic group about late onset type one and the girl next to me had had a heart attack due to untreated diabetes. She had three stents. I just am worried as I was high for so long.
Its nice to have you too to talk to. I'll try not to rant too much lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Gosh.. Just a reminder to all.. Everything you are all going through is totally normal.
Your bodies were used to high levels.. Now getting extra insulin to being down levels will take time for bodies to adjust... And then the fact that you are also then suffering hypo's which will be totally alien to your body.

I been T1 27+ years and remember my diagnosis as if it was yesterday..... The one advice I have is to give your body -physical and mental time to adjust...I had to carry vials and syringes and a nlood meter that went in a shoe box... You will get used to it, but it is a huge thing to get used to... Dont beat yourselves up... Otherwise injtially you may well end up black and blue!!

There is also now so much advice and support from such fantastic sites like this to help... Look forward with heads held high.... You have D ... But it will eventually live with you... NOT you living with D....

Mrs Mac

Ahhh, thank you. I know it'll take time, I'm just not use to being unwell. I haven't even got the energy to put the kids to bed, they're both running riot, I'd better go and sort them out!

twinkle1980

How old are yours Mrs mac? I have 2, a daughter 8, and son 6. I'm on my own with them too... Which brings me to my latest rant.

Felt so tearful earlier while I went through the emergency drill with my daughter again! Hate having to teach her the signs and warnings to look out for, and what to do if she spots them! Trying to reassure her that life ain't that different at the same time explaining when to dial 999. Telling her not to be scared, as I pack a hypo kit to keep in her bedside drawer.

Trying to explain why my meals are a bit different from theirs (casserole tonight, mine was in a bowl minus the pots and yorkshire) and at the same time explaining why her balanced diet is important.

Apologising AGAIN for not helping with the snowman as I was just so exhausted from the school hike up and down hills the snow that I could have cried.

Telling my son that I can't come to his craft morning tomorrow as I have my dsn appointment, and feeling so angry with myself for getting diabetes and the guilt eating me up! I know there is no way I could have prevented getting type 1 but I can't help those feelings right now.

And breathe..... Sorry girls I just needed to get it out.

Mrs Mac

I'm sure everyone would agree that you're being too hard on yourself there Twinkle1980. Gosh, look at me know dishing out the advice that I've been getting for days! It's easy to say but don't put too much pressure on yourself.

How did you get on Violet?

Thanks again for reminding us that we're normal! I'm having a positive half hour now rather than skulking around feeling sorry for myself!