help

saffy

Hi....Saffy back lol .....my head is spinning with all the info on this site...ok ive been diagnosed 4 yrs with type 2....but to be honest i didnt take it seriously ....dont know why....was diet only..now on metformin 500..4x day...have had a real bol----ing from my gp...and so am taking it very serious....went to hospital yesterday and been put on 15mg of actos....my hbalc is 11.3....so have to do something...when i saw the diabetic nurse 12 months ago (cant get hold of her by the way...been trying for 3 weeks)) she told me to eat plenty bread !!!! now im confused after reading on here...pleaseeeeeee can you all help me.....dont know how much fruit i can eat..im suffering as i have always had sweet tooth...:(

Moreno

well, as long as you take insulin. i would say you can eat as much fruit as you can! I do. i eat pretty much anything i can. just take that much insulin.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Moreno,

Not good advice - Saffy is a Type 2and not on insulin. Eating whay you like and just compensating with more insulin will do only one thing - make you fatter.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Saffy,

Sorry I only had time for a quick response earlier. Your diabetic nurse seems to be following the general guidelines that everyone should eat a high carbohydrate and low protein/fat diet. As you will see in many of the posts on this forum, high carbohydrate foods (like bread) are the worst thing a diabetic, particularly a Type 2, can possibly eat because they will send your blood sugars sky high.

The same applies to other high carb foods like pasta, rice and potatoes. That doesn't mean you mustn't eat them, just make sure you have small quantities. Fruit is ok - it contains vitamins and fibre but also sugar - so again stick to small quantities. Have a look in the "Diabetes Food Forum section under the topic "DIABETICS WORST EMENMY-CARBOHYDRATES".

Personally I also found this website very useful in helping make my own mind up about what foods would do me good and what ones wouldn't
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/diabetes_index.html

BTW, Actos has two notorious side effects, fluid retention and very rapid weight gain (in my case 5 stone in 6 months despite constant dieting). If you notice either of these then report back to your GP straight away.

saffy

Hi Dennis.....thank you so much.....i am trying now to be very serious.....i am very worried about "actos"...in fact im going to ring my gp up as am not happy about the side affects...now that its sunk in my brain how serious this is ...id rather try and get my blood suger down by being strict...ive sent for some flax capsules and im putting cinnimon on my cereal.this forum is brill so glad ive found it....once more thank you....Saffy

Cosy

Saffy

Let me know how you get on at your GP. I have been taking Actos for two weeks now and I said I would give it a month, but I am taking headaches and a 'strange' feeling dont know if it is a rapid heartbeat or what ! Just not happy I was also told to go on another hight blood pressure tablet which I have not started yet, am going to put another message on here regarding that. I am also trying to be really good with eating correctly and hope that helps.