Dafne course

Gemzy_23

Hi all. Just wondering If any of you have attended a dafne course?
I attended one a few months back and my diabetes control has turned around!

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi!
Can you explain in more detail what the course did for you, and how you have turned things around??

Cheers

CathyN

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Did mine back in 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, if you put 'Dafne' in the forum search you will find 100's of threads discussing the course.

Gemzy_23

Hi cathy.

It did many things. I was always scared of taking more than 5 units of my QA insulin so I was forever high and trying to correct. I'm no longer scared now and as I'm not high low high low high low, I feel great. I'm no longer tired and I no longer feel sluggish.

When I'm ill I also learnt about my insulin. Many doctors told me to reduce my insulin when ill as I wasn't able to eat but now I know what to do, I seem to recover a lot quicker and feel as though I've got control over myself when ill.

There is so much more what I found interesting or I learnt from but above are my main gains from the dafne course.

I just literally joined when I posted the comment and I then saw many more comments about the Dafne course.

Gemma x

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
I also found the DAFNE course very helpful, especially understanding my insulin sensitivity for hi blood glucose corrections as well as the carbohydrate portion counting, the sick day rules are a real life saver too. I only achieved almost perfect control of my blood sugars after 30 years of type 1 diabetes, after starting on an insulin pump in May 2011 and I think my health has improved as a result of both the DAFNE course as well as pump therapy.

The improvements in my health are also due to the fact I test my blood sugars 4 to 6 times per day and carefully weigh my food.
I feel better, I am more positive about my diabetes and the quality of my life has improved tremendously.

I too have a tremendous fear of hypoglycaemia, I feel safer when I go hypo at home but when I have a hypo outside I tend to panic. I would advise people to always make sure you have a bag or two of soft sweets on you for emergencies, as hypos can come over you unexpectadly. I treat hypos with jelly babies, fruit pastels and wine gums but chocolate coated raisons are no good as I found out last night when I had one hypo after another !!

PetiteSJ

JELLY BABIES!!!! That was a running joke when I did the DAFNE course I still chuckle to myself when I see a packet :lol: I really think DAFNE is the best thing for a diabetic to do I have got so much better control of my blood sugar levels & always have my carbohydrate book in my bag I have a massively better understanding of insulin dosage I'm so glad that I did the course 5 days is nothing when it's going to be such a positive impact on the rest of your life :grin:

SJ x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
PetiteSJ said:
JELLY BABIES!!!! That was a running joke when I did the DAFNE course I still chuckle to myself when I see a packet :lol:

What was the joke about JB's, I think there a great quick fix for hypo's as they require little chewing :)

PetiteSJ

The woman running the DAFNE course I went on was always going on about jelly babies as a hypo treatment she said it so many times we all had a good giggle every time :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
PetiteSJ said:
The woman running the DAFNE course I went on was always going on about jelly babies as a hypo treatment she said it so many times we all had a good giggle every time :lol:

I see, perhaps she was a part-time sales rep for Bassett's :wink:

Andrew40

Hi I did the DAFNE course last week, I found it very interesting and am waiting to see if it improves my Diabetes. I have heard about it. Dafne seems to increase injections to cover all the food one eats where it was all covered in the system I had before. Am looking forward to trying it out.
Andrew