Night Sweats

Deano_uk

Just wondered if any other Type 2's suffer from night sweats.
Virtually everynight for the last 2 months I've been waking up soaked to the skin and having to change the bed covers after drying off.
I havent made any changes to my diet or medication and I have never had a Hypo in my life and oubt I would be going that way as my problem has always been having high reading.

I'm taking Metformin, Ramapril and simvastatin.

Anyone experiance this kind of thing?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Yes, I am experiencing this too and I sleep under a 4.5 tog quilt in my birthday suit and have done for years. I think it's due to the mild weather we're having at this time of year and also the fact that I'm sleeping with the window closed because I live in a bungalow and next door's cat has brought me quite a few dead mice over the past few months and I'm scared they'll get in through the window. :shock:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me too.. But type 1.

Even in hypothermic caravan last winter when it was so cold we could see our breathe I still had to sleep with either totally nothing or a minimal 4 tog quilt. Ended up buying singles so hubby could have his 15 tog one and me nothing or 4.

Still pours off me every night.. But back in bricks and mortar now. Still have to like you.. Change bedding..

Hormones ok.. But 49 - dread getting hot flushes!!! As this will then be 24hr sweats!!

No known reason for mine.. Only med I take is Insulin..

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'm about 10 years past the menopause now, I went through it from age 39-50 and the whole 11 years was just one long hot flush in that I NEVER felt the cold, windows had to be open at all times, no central heating on, gave up wearing tights or socks and shoes, couldn't bear any clothing that restricted me, couldn't tolerate jewelry, rings, earrings etc and I'm still that way now. I didn't get any sleep for those years because I was waking every hour or so, not because of night sweats, but just because I was hyperalert and agitated and of course, running to the loo several times a night, which was all put down to me being in the meno.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes in August last year, after starting Metformin I started sleeping right through the night for the first time in years and had a few months of wonderful unbroken sleep. I remember the first morning I woke up having slept through the night without interruption and when I slept through 3 nights in a row I was elated. Then about 2 months ago, like the OP here I began having night sweats and waking up several times a night again, and it's REALLY annoying me. Also I seem to be having more dreams than usual and I'm waking up in the middle of them. Then of course next day, I'm groggy and dopey and need an afternoon nap, which isn't good because I'm also job-hunting at the moment. I feel about as fit for work as a wet dish rag but hey ho ... ATOS knows best. :x

I want my unbroken sleep back but I'm reluctant to take sleeping tablets but I was wondering of Herbal Nytol might help. I never thought of taking anything before, but Nytol just popped into my mind and I looked at their website. The ordinary Nytol and Nytol One A Night is actually a sedating antihistamine which I'd be wary of taking but the Herbal one contains hops, valerian and passionflower which I might give a try.

Has anyone tried it or found anything similar to give you a good night's sleep? :think:

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take isoflavones, brilliant :D My nights of waking up ´hot´ are not so bad and hardly every have a hot spell during the day now.

Ronin

Mine stopped once I started taking my meds, but before I got them it was most nights. Though I don't get really sweaty anymore, I still sleep in just my undies and kick off the duvet, even in winter!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DCUK Forum mobile app

A

Anonymous

hi deano. i had this for months, even in winter had to change sheets a lot, it wasn't until 1 month after being told diabetic, i realize that there was no sweating, no more changing night clothes.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I got the Herbal Nytol from ASDA yesterday because I was determined to get a good night's sleep and try to break this habit of early waking. It contains hops, valerian and passion flower and it doesn't say anything on the box or in the leaflet about not being suitable for diabetics.

It said they can make you feel drowsy through to the next day so I only took 1 instead of 2 one hour before bedtime. At bedtime I didn't feel particularly drowsy and read my Kindle for about half an hour before dropping off. I didn't wake up at 4 or 5am as usual. I slept right through until my alarm went off at 6.30 and when I woke up I wasn't in so much of a lather of sweat like I usually am when I wake up early. I do feel a bit groggy this morning, so I don't think I'd need to take the recommended dose, I'll stick to just the 1 tablet. I'm going to take it for a few nights to see if I can get a few decent nights zeds in and see if it helps break the habit of early waking.

My BS has been higher than usual over the past few weeks and I'm putting that down to the fact that I've been eating more carbs than usual. I wanted to introduce a few things to my diet to see what happened - bananas, because I love them and miss eating them and I've been having one a day for the last month, plain digestive biscuits because ... I don't know why because I never liked them before I was diabetic and am still not keen but wanted to see how I tolerated the odd biscuit with a cuppa. I've been having 3 a day for the past month and of course, I've eaten the odd packet of crisps because for some reason I'm partial to them. The result? My FBS has been regularly around 7-7.9

I must get back on the wagon ... after I've eaten this banana! :think:

Deano_uk

Thanks everyone good to hear I'm not alone with this one, wierldy the last couple of days havent been as bad but still not great.
Think I'll mention it to my DN next week and see if she has any ideas.

I'm finding testing really demoralising at the moment as my BS are all over the place, yesterday I had very little Carbs all day but pre evening meal I was 12.8. My HAB1C before Xmas was okay though so I must be having some periods of low BS to bring down the average.

I have started doing a fair bit of excercie in the last couple of weeks so I wonder if my body is in shock :D

oldie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hey, Ronin. - Please, WHAT meds stopped your night sweats?
and Hey Mode. Just being told you had diabetes stopped yours????

I'm 84,heart patien, one stent 2 1/2 years ago . sweats started then. Neither my cardiologist or internists have any answer or even interest. I get at least two heavy sweats at night and continual short hots during the day. Heven't slept a full night since may2010. Help

olga

I have night sweats for about 1-2 years. Still explain them as menopause symptom (I am 58), although I had a hysterectomy in 2003. I am taking metformin for the last 3 weeks, and there is no difference at all...

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Went to bed at 10pm last night and woke at 4am sweating profusely and desperate for a pee. Checked my BS and it was 6.5 which is really 5.5 as I use the Codefree meter and it tends to consistently register a point above most other meters.

5.5 is really low for me even though it might be normal for a non diabetic, once I go below the 6 mark I start getting false hypo symptoms. I did feel a bit hungry when I woke up too, which is unusual for me now because I rarely get hunger pangs, I just get shaky and mouth numb when I'm getting readings that are 'low' for me.

Yesterday I worked right through the morning and forgot to have a snack. By 12noon I felt zonked, blurry eyed, mouth numb and sleepy. Wasn't clock watching so didn't notice the time and it wasn't until a colleague said "You're a bit quiet this morning Grace, are you OK?" that I realised from the symptoms, that I needed to eat.

I'm finding being back at work great in many ways, it's good to be back in the saddle and earning some money again, but I'm getting a bit bored with my packed lunches and I've been skipping breakfast because I don't feel like eating so early in the morning. I've just forced a beefburger and an egg down me at 7.15am ... eeewwwww yuk! :roll:

eaglet

Dislikes
Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum
Deano_uk said:
Just wondered if any other Type 2's suffer from night sweats.
Virtually everynight for the last 2 months I've been waking up soaked to the skin and having to change the bed covers after drying off.
I havent made any changes to my diet or medication and I have never had a Hypo in my life and oubt I would be going that way as my problem has always been having high reading.

I'm taking Metformin, Ramapril and simvastatin.

Anyone experiance this kind of thing?

Hi,
When first diagnosed I was fine, then they decided to change my tablets to Novonorm and then I used to get the sweats, down to 2 or 3 sometimes and I'd wake up sweating and shaking. I'd have a couple of biscuits and I'd be fine. The Dr then changed me to Metformin and Pioglitazone and now I'm fine. It was obviously the tablets. Now if I get the shakes or sweats, which isn't often at all now, possibly once every couple of month's I check my bloods and they'll be down. then a biscuit or somesuch and off we go again.
eaglet type 2 - 11yrs + :crazy:

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
Hi,
I have night sweats too but because I am going through the menopause!

Seriously, I am reading about the changes I am going through and i understand hot flushes happen when hormonal changes are occurring. That makes me wonder if you are suffering similarly because of changes going on in your body due to diabetes? Makes you think. The positive thing is that such things do settle down as the body adjusts.

If you are worried, you should certainly speak to your doctor so that you understand in your case why it is happening as I don't know if night sweats are connected to diabetes.

perrywinkle

Hi, I was diagnosed Type 2 in Sept 2010, previously to this I felt the cold and was always in layers of clothing and PJ s for bed. Since disgnosis (diet controlled) I am constantly hot, no need for any central heating, sleep in undies and I to reguraly wake up wet through with sweat. Dont seem to have to many in the daytime but the nights are very restless, up two or more times to go to loo. Recently did an input and output chart for my GP of fluid intake and output. He said it was fine, but recommended I dont have a drink after 6.30 at night. I find this very hard as I love a drink of tea before bedtime. I feel it definteley alters your body temperature control although the GP says it dos'nt although a sweat usually proceeds a visit to the loo.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Is it only females here who are having these night sweats? Or are there any males who also have them?

Hormones are a pain in the a***, if it's not the oestrogen it's the progestogen, if it's not the thyroid it's the flippin' pancreas! I thought the hot flushes were well behind me as I'm 10 years post menopause now - ah well I've just treated myself to some nice new knickers to cheer myself up!!! Don't ya just love new knickers? :D

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ginseng has been used by the Chinese for thousands of years for many health conditions, including treatment of menopause. It is especially useful in keeping the vaginal walls supple and healthy, preventing drying, tearing and pain. Ginseng helps relieve insomnia, moodiness and hot flushes. :D

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I occasionally use Sainsbury's 'Sleep Aids' you can use 2 a night. But I find one helps me get a good sleep - they don't seem to leave much if a hang over, hubby has Parkinson's and often has restless nights that wake me, I feel so dreadful without a good sleep, but using these aids seems to help me. I used to get a lot of night sweats - cold sweats - nasty, before diagnosed, my understanding it is a classic symptom, at least for T2s. Got better for a while but been having some lately but also been ill with colds so not sure which is causing sweats db or cold!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App