Karate and exercise in general

jwhiteside

I'm a karate instructor, and have found that it is an excellent way to keep my glucose in check.

Also, now if I go high I'll do some exercise, and I found that about 30 minutes of brisk walking on my treadmill can knock off a good 4 points of my levels.

Does anybody else have a similar experience?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I do aqua aerobics 3 times a week andd I go hiking. I keep a pretty low Bg too.
Hana

insanity

Yes, I found exercise is a great way to help keep your bs down overall. Although I don't exercise with high bs levels as an increase in adrenaline can push your sugars up quite a lot and for me it can be quite quick. But most of the time I do a mixture of running, dancing & kickboxing :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The benefits of exercise can never be said enough, nothing too strenuous for me just walking and cycling :)

Bishop

Hi
I am doing bjj and mma 2-4times per week, some times gym 1-2 times per week, I try to mix them up.
It s very easy to keep my bs in normal ranges as long as I am doing it constantly. Anyway I ve cought a terrible could last month which messed my sugars and all my training scheduel. It s been more then 2weeks since then and I am not recovered yet....
Doing sport it s important to manage ur bs!!!
Cheers!!!

Mrs Mac

Hi,
I'm newly diagnosed and still trying to sort my BG out. It'll be fine for a few days, next it's all over the shop! I do kick boxing and have been trying to work out what this exercise does to my sugar levels. I usually go three times a week for two hours a time. I thought I was doing well, keeping fit, loosing weight, actually enjoying exercise for once in my life, then it turns out I have diabetes!
Soon after diagnosis I notice that the kick boxing seemed to raise my BG. I've read that other people find this with certain types of exercise, especially short bursts of strenuous exercise I think. I read that it might not always be a good idea to reduce insulin or increase carb intake prior to exercise. I think, think, I read this on www.runsweet.com.

Anyway, the other day during training I had a hypo so that will lean me for thinking I've got this under control! I do get a bit worried that I won't tell the difference between a hypo and being generally knackered from exercise! Is it the spinning licks making me dizzy or a hypo??? All a bit frustrating really because I had to sit out the rest of the session (well, I held a kick bag for the little kids!) I assume that eventually I'll be able to pick up were I left off and understand more about what to eat etc etc? I don't really get the whole carb thing yet, it confuses me, more carbs, less carbs, good carbs, bad carbs Arrrgh! I'm just stickin to my 'normal' fairly healthy diet for now, let hope I don't end up the size of a house!!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mentioned this before and I still can't explain it. I walk every morning since my nurse says that I must and yes it does help with the blood sugars.

The odd thing is that one morning each week I do not walk and I drive to Tesco to do shopping. That is the day I get lowest readings of all.

Either driving is more energetic than walking or pushing a supermarket trolley is.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs Mac said:
Haha, perhaps you run round Tesco more than you think!

What me ..........run?

I have one more bit of information. I have a ride on mower and one day I cut the grass myself although I don't usually do that. I got a low reading before lunch again. This makes me think that exercising both the legs and the arms while driving is helpful.

I didn't research it further. I am just grateful for the low readings.