Don't like Cauli or Courgettes!

mart47

So, after a telling off from my GP this morning, I need to get serious about reducing my BG, and I think low carb is the way to go, but, as in my title, I really cant stand the flavour of Cauliflower, and can only just eat courgettes in small doses.
Any ideas as to what else I can uses to go along with some protein?
Thanks, Martin

susanmanley

There are loads of other veg you can use and think of it as an oppotunity to explore these. I was introduced to aubergines which I now love stuffed [adds flavour] but hate on their own [even roasted]

Experimenting is fun and it has amazed me how quickly I have been able to get used to no potatoes[which are my favourite in all the world!]
In fact at christmas I decided to treat myself to a roast one but only ate half as I found it too filling!! and stuck to my mashed swede and baked sweet poatoes

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Celeriac can be mashed, roasted, chipped or grated and used as a rice substitute... :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Creamed buttery carrots is lovely too :thumbup:
Try green veggies like brocolli , green beans , asparagus , peas , leeks etc...

A lot of it can sometimes be trial and error until you find you're preferences :)

Omelettes with chopped up veg in , baked peppers [stuff with various fillings]
Baked beef tomatoes again [stuff with various fillings ]

Borrow a wife,partners magazines browse through meals/menu suggestions.
Cut out and keep [after they have read it]
I made a folder of great recipes doing this - ideal to turn to - when stumped for
meal ideas etc...
My hubby once had cut a spanish omlette recipe out BEFORE I had even read a magazine.
Ended up sticking it back in the gap of page to read other side of page!
Bless him - he was only trying to help :)

Anna.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet, which is a Sticky Thread on the Low-carb Forum. Even if you don't want to go as low as 25g carb per day, it's a good basic low-carb diet. Get a carb counter book and add in extra veg, going for the lower carb and Low GI choices.

If you stick to the 25g carb daily, your weight, blood pressure and blood glucose levels will drop. So will your cholesterol, maybe after an intitial blip as you body starts living off your fat.

If you go a bit higher carb, say 70g - 100g daily, all the above will still happen, but more slowly. :D If you eat more carb, eat a bit less fat. It's the combination of carbs and fat that puts weight on - at least on me! :shock:

Good luck!

Viv 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try cooking in a different way
Courgette sliced lengthways and fried is delicious.
I adore cauliflower cooked in any way, but one of my favourites is to steam florets and then put into a pan with butter. Begin to fry and the break a ccouple of beaten eggs in. the egg scrambles and it's lovely.
If you really can't manage that, go for a prowl in a supermarket and look at what there is. write down the names and search recipes on-line. you should be able to find something.
One of my other favourite things is home-made coleslaw.
Hana

mart47

Thanks all for your replies. Viv - I've just ready all of the "Viv's Modified..." post. Lots of good ideas. Thanks

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Butternut and similar quashes are very versatile. Can be oven roasted or dry fried as chips. Roasted and made into mash etc. Lowish GI so great.

twinkle1980

leeks cut lenghtways separated into sheets and blanced work VERY well as pasta alternative for lasagne! - stolen shamelessly from the hairy bikers, and it means I can enjoy one of my favourite comfort foods again!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done leek tagliatelli a couple of times now. Open 'em up and cut 'em in strips lengthways.

Microwave for a few minutes until soft, then quickly stir fry in butter, and add cheese and cream. Throw in some bacon and mushrooms if you're feeling crazy. :crazy:

Lovely with a bit of Gammon.

Finzi

Patch said:
I've done leek tagliatelli a couple of times now. Open 'em up and cut 'em in strips lengthways.

Microwave for a few minutes until soft, then quickly stir fry in butter, and add cheese and cream. Throw in some bacon and mushrooms if you're feeling crazy. :crazy:

Lovely with a bit of Gammon.
Oh that sounds gorgeous! Carbonara!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BarbaraMc

And what about using grated cauliflower to create a rice replacement, can be flavoured with all sorts, it's on here somewhere and it's delicious with various spices and/or herbs - and it's so good for you.
If I have any stir-fried veg left over, I put it in a frittata for work, just add a bit more onion and garlic (that might depend on your work) and some parmesan, maybe just one new potato, some broccoli or spinach.
I also find parsnip doesn't raise my blood sugar much, you just have to test the first time to be sure. A banana put me up to 18, but some people can get away with them.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BarbaraMc said:
And what about using grated cauliflower to create a rice replacement, can be flavoured with all sorts, it's on here somewhere and it's delicious with various spices and/or herbs - and it's so good for you.
I also find parsnip doesn't raise my blood sugar much, you just have to test the first time to be sure. A banana put me up to 18, but some people can get away with them.

the OP doesn't like cauli... we were giving alternatives... :)

susanmanley

Just eating a lovely, warming thick soup made with all the bits of leftover veg in my fridge...carrot,parsnip,sweet potates, tomato, bit of cabbage, courgettes[sorry] and a whole onion. DELICIOUS!