Cold weather = extra insulin

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Just wandered if anyone else has had to increase their insulin over the last few days. I'm putting it down to the weather (I always like to try and work out the reason why my insulin needs have to change). Brrr

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I have actually. Not the amount of insulin, but the amount that exercise changes my Lantus. Gone from changing by 2 units to 4. Weird.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same myself, colder weather raises my BG so I've to give myself more insulin.

It's my excuse to live in Hawaii lol.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
On pump and also have to increase basals.. Always have trouble deciding whether to do them on a temporary basis ... Or whether to raise them all and then tweak back as I need to!!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm glad you raised that Donellydogs. Tweaked for a week and then got fed up and moved every basal slot up by 0.050 from last Wednesday and I'm still increasing (and still having to use TBR's in the meantime). I have got a note of what my 'normal' basal rate was pre this change so hopefully when things need to be changed the other way I can just move back to it. Things are never that straightforward though are they?!? I've moved from 15.250 basal per day to currently 17.350. Maybe this isn't much in the scheme of things - it just feels a lot when your continually adjusting up!!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I am experiencing the reverse effect , my blood sugars are going lower in this current cold snap. Additionally I'm only managing exercise at the weekends now, I had been going to the gym every evening previously (the gym is in my unheated garage). My results are the same as if I'd I been exercising daily and rigorously. I'm not complaining though!

I've started taking daily vitamin D3 supplements up to 5,000 IE in the mornings , I'm wondering if this why. Typically we should experience lower blood sugars in the summer months and during these months we get our fill of vitamin D3 absorbed through sunlight .

I never quite understood the link between higher blood sugar and cold weather.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Usually in the cold weather both my basal and bolus needs can increase, this time around I've only had to increase my basal by 2 units.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Nor do I. I also need less insulin when in hot climbs. Interestingl, since yesterday I've been having hypos so I switched back to my normal lower rate basal profile an hour ago to see if if that corrects things. It hasn't got any warmer here yet - maybe my body can antipicate the milder weather that's due this weekend!! God knows ......as they say!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My basals fluctuate from 11 upwards, used to be 18 at one time... But at that time of high basals I wasnt physically working as I do now.
I also notice that unwittingly my bolus's do actually go up and down in line according to seasons.... Solely because in winter my veg is .. Say tonight.. Swede, carrots, parsnips, mangetout, cabbage with chicken.. Alot of the veg high in carbs... Especially when compared to carbs in lettuce and cucumber! So although I don't really think that my food intake goes up in winter.. The carbs certainly do.. And without realising it...so I just accept that my basals will change...it is pretty much inevitable as summer I am out from 7am - 10 pm loving the sun.. ( not last year!).. And winter I am indoors doing far less.

I'm just aware that seasons affect me and make my levels change dramatically, quite quickly. Then different drugs as well... It git a huge amount to contend with.

Jelly Beans

On a pump too but my blood sugars get ridiculously low. Having to eat practically all day.

Don't take any vitamin D tablets so not sure if I could be completely based on that...

Oliviat1999

Been diagnosed last September so in the winter. Will I have to take less insulin in the summer or is it for just some people or is it common???xx :? X

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Olivia, you may need to. Not everyone does and if you do it will only change a little.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm the opposite, my insulin need goes down in cold weather and up in hot weather.

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I usually tend to need more insulin in winter but I'm probably just eating more. But today I wonder whether the cold may lower my BG and insulin requirement. Actually had a fit last night so I'm looking for answers. Another could just be me stacking bolus's. Best idea is to check levels often and total up your daily insulin, see if the above statements are correct for you too.