Deficient eating problem....would welcome comments.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again
I wonder if you would be better with just 1 slice of Burgen toast rather than the weetabix which is high carb I load my toast with cheese or pate or scrambled egg It satisfies the "I need toast" feelings and the Burgen is 12 g carbs per slice and quite filling.
Keep on trying and testing :D
CAROL

am now down from 100 to 20 lantus per day :) after just 2 weeks! if you dont want to go to Facebook try clicking on this www.terriann123dietplan.co.uk

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Sorry for my delay in replying. :(
I've been incredibly tired and not sleeping well.
I see there's a thread regarding tiredness, so I really must have a look.

Hope the following does not come across as lacking enthusiasm, I assure you that's not the case.
Just this dash silly tiredness dragging me down. Grrrr. But I guess some of you will have experienced it yourselves.

hana...
Scrambled eggs with only a mini slice of toast?
That sounds good, I never thought of scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I could eat...
Carrots; potatoes; cucumber; lettuce; small portion of tomatoes; bacon; eggs;
chicken as long as the taste is disguised, same with fish,
and I can only eat fish with breadcrumbs.
Not much there for you to work on!!
!

Carol...
Try grating a little cheese on your scrambled egg and grilled bacon is very tasty.

I tried a little of yours and hana's suggestions...I enjoyed them, thank you.
Still felt hungry though.

Oatbran bread...Might be worth trying. The only concern is the effect
it may have on my stomach. (pain)

cheltenhamlady.
I had a quick look at your link. Hmmm, might be worth considering.
though I'll need to study it a little more.

Again, I'm impressed by all your offers of help.
My sincere thanks to you all.
WW

twinkle1980

OP = Opening poster :D

I'm going to agree with the others here about the carbs. I am newly diagnosed type 1 so a different kettle of fish... however by limiting my carb intake around 75g (always under 100g, and preferably under 50g) a day I dont need anywhere near so much insulin.

Yesterday I went for a day out with friends, and for the first time I blew my carb allowance... and I paid for it. I needed much more insulin, felt like poo, lethargic to the point of crashing out last night at 7, waking at 11 (thank god as I hadnt yet taken my levamir) and not being able to sleep. I totalled my carbs yesterday to approx 170, which was more than double my usual amount.

Sooo, back on track this morning. Poached eggs and bacon for brekkie. Roasting a chicken right now which will be lunch (with salad) and made into spiced chicken for dinner in lettuce wraps (kids having fajitas , I am too but with lettuce instead of the tortillas) and homemade guacamole and salsa (made with my lil kitchen bullet thingy). For a snack I have a couple of rich tea biccys (10g for 2), peanut butter and celery boats or some berries. Desert is sugar free jelly with a mini low carb meringue strawberries and single cream. With good portion control my carbs for the day will be under the 50g.

I have a soup maker too, and love the versatility of it. I use it to make frothy "shakes" (atkins or similar whey), delicious low carb soups, and sauces. There are loads and loads of low carb soup options out there, and if you really miss the bread with it, make a couple of small croutons from half slice of bread - rather than a big chunk.

The only bread I now eat is the burgens soya and linseed, or if I am feeling very naughty the weight watchers white both of these have around 9g of carb per slice.... one of these with your scrambled eggs on a morning or as a slice of toast with real butter is lovely.

Hope that helps and gives you some ideas... you do not have to give up all your favourite foods, but you do need (imo) to control how much of everything you eat. Menu planning is very useful and helps you to budget too.

take care

sal x

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
sal, your reply is indeed of (great) help, information/ideas.
I'll need to depend on my wife putting into practice all the information I've been offered so far...I'm a hopeless cook. :roll:

If I can successfully adopt even a selection, from all the advice offered, I must surely succeed and overcome this eating problem I have.
I reckon it's going to take time, but, with a bit of "mind over matter" thrown in for good measure, hopefully I shall get there in the end. Like your goodself and all the other good members, my health depends on it.

I tell you though, the fact I've been able to communicate with folks with the same problem is a great source of inspiration for me.

I just can't help thanking everyone for their interest.

william, with a little "x" back to you.

twinkle1980

Glad it helped. I'd go for baby-steps for now, it will make everything much more achievable.

What about setting yourself a goal...for one meal a day, and limiting it to 20g max carbs (pref 15 or under).

Breakfast would be the easiest to do...

Eggs - scrambled, poached, fried, boiled devilled

Omelette with cheese/ham/bacon/salmon/herbs - just about any combo

Bacon - any way

Quality sausages (high meat content ones)

Slice of burgens or WW toast and butter.

Tea/coffee with single cream instead of milk (or lactulo or skimmed milk if it must be milk).

Porridge - several low carb recipes on here, I've just tried the coconut, flax and almond one - delish!

Breakfast muffins - 1 min in microwave, and loads of recipes on here and internet. My kids adore them and they are a very quick tasty and alternative breakky.

Does any of that appeal? How does changing one meal a day sound? Once you have done your first week then CELEBRATE! Get yourself a little treat (anything not food related), and look forward to the next challenge!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I hit as many leafy greens as possible (I'm not vegan) fish and fibre fibre and more fibre.
Oats such as porridge , high antioxidant fruits such as blueberries and rasperrries, Natural Soya yoghurt.
Add Flaxseed , milled or oil to your diet for essential fatty acids and omega 3 6 and 9 oils. (a diabetic superfood!)
Drink Green tea if possible and REMOVE the margarine as it's messing with your insides like you wouldn't believe.
Type 2 and (fingers crossed) drug free. :D

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, with easy steps, that attracts some appeal twinkle1980. As with all the other good members, your advice comes across as sensible and very wise.

Thank you. :wave:

More excellent information for me to absorb, thank you MCMLXXIII. :thumbup:

I can, (remember my eating problem) and used to, love diet yogurt, but stopped a while ago.I don't know if I'd be able to take Natural Soya yoghurt. Only one way to find out..... I'll shop around, well my wife will lol, for a pot or two.

I can drink coffee but not tea, I take boiling water cooled down with a tad of cold water in place of tea.

I'd read somewhere about margarine and what it does to our innards, but wasn't too sure if it was all hype, we seem to get food warnings raising its head every now and again. I'm sure the government issues these warnings in an attempt to take our mids off other issues.
Anyway, I failed to follow it up with a second opinion. I felt Marg was perhaps the better of two evils, the other being butter.

Again, thank you, I really do appreciate all the help and advice I'm being offered.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thought I'd like to mention this..

This morning when I got up, I just had a pint of cold water to drink as I didn't feel like eating.

Two hours later I decided to try a bowl of porridge, I'd to make sure it went down by the spoonful immediately and not linger in my mouth, but I did take it. So that was good.

However, before eating (2Hrs after I got up) I took a sugar count and astonishingly the reading was 6.5.
I could hardly believe it, but then I remembered I'd taken my meds (not injections) as soon as I got up, so I quickly came back down to earth.

Never-the-less, even with the meds and injections, that's the lowest reading for years. I put it down to me managing to sleep all night. Usually I'm up around 2-4am and I'm always hungry, so I hope the fact I went without chomping fruit during the night may have some bearing on the low reading.
We shall see.

william

twinkle1980

WeeWillie said:
Thought I'd like to mention this..

This morning when I got up, I just had a pint of cold water to drink as I didn't feel like eating.

Two hours later I decided to try a bowl of porridge, I'd to make sure it went down by the spoonful immediately and not linger in my mouth, but I did take it. So that was good.

However, before eating (2Hrs after I got up) I took a sugar count and astonishingly the reading was 6.5.
I could hardly believe it, but then I remembered I'd taken my meds (not injections) as soon as I got up, so I quickly came back down to earth.

Never-the-less, even with the meds and injections, that's the lowest reading for years. I put it down to me managing to sleep all night. Usually I'm up around 2-4am and I'm always hungry, so I hope the fact I went without chomping fruit during the night may have some bearing on the low reading.
We shall see.

william

Congratulations! Thats something to celebrate! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dislikes
Moaning people who complain they feel tired and ill but do nothing to help themselves.
Hi Willie

I agree, far too many carbs. I wouldn't eat most of the foods you eat, i.e. Toast/bread, Tea biscuits. Ryvita Wholegrain Crackerbread, sandwiches, banana, chips, pie or Weetabix. I'd not touch any of these. I don't count carbs I just don't eat them.... no bread, potatoes, rice, pasta or flour based foods (cake, biscuits, pies). I stuck to this and lost 6 stone and sugars were 4.5-5.5. I gradually came off the no carbs plan and after a couple of years my sugars were as high as yours, I'm now back on the no carbs and my sugars are 6 or 7 so I'm getting there.... really, as soon as you stop them, your sugars will be much lower.

Quick update, 3 weeks into the www.terriann123dietplan.co.uk diet and had to 'cheat' a few times by eating porridge as my sugars were low, my Lantus is now down to 10 units per day!! I am eating more than I am comfortable with, but no pain no gain, you have to eat everything on the diet, 3 meals a day and at least 2 snacks. My blood sugars average 8.7 now where they were double that 3 weeks ago! Cant believe this 'diet' is SO easy!

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
twinkle1980 said:
Congratulations! Thats something to celebrate! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you for your encouragement twinkle.

I've a long way to go (a bit higher this morning, 9:5) but your reply made me feel good. :thumbup:

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
christinemaria, your waaay ahead of me, you must be feeling on top of the world.

Brilliant. :clap:

Hi!! I would seriously recommend ICE (insulin carbohydrate education programme), used to be called DAFNE!! You will learn your own personal insulin ratio, so basically whatever your diet is you will be able to control your sugars!! Ask your doctor!!! Good luck! :)

candiloo

Hi - I also think you are having way too many carbs. There is an amazing book that you can buy called Carbs and Cals, which easily shows you how many you are eating and will help you cut down. Ask your diabetes nurse for a carb counting course, which will help you to calculate how much insulin you should take for each meal - the calculation depends on the Lantas and thre is a little sum and it is brilliant, because if you have a great meal out and a pudding, it is ok as you can just inject your insulin accordingly. On the other hand it helps you diet too if you need to. I have managed to get control of my diabetes a lot more because of this as I had issues like yourself. My diabetes was caused by chronic pancreatitis, so is neither 1 or 2, so I have issues when my pancreas decides to kick in, it may affect the level, but generally, this method and that book have changed my life diabetes wise. I also must say, that when I was first diagnosed, the nurse told me I should have lots of carbs, which is stupid as I would put on weight and need more insulin, and it is best not to have to have insulin. I have some meals where I don't have any carbs, so don't have to inject as the Lantas is enough to take care of it. There is also a meter, which is being given away at present or you ask Abbot if they have any, which will help you to calculate it all once you feed the information in, so it is even easier. People don't realise it isn't all about sugar, it is carbs too. Good luck and please feel free to facebook me if I can help support.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well, I've been trying a few selections of food that's been recommended by all you good folks.
Scrambled eggs and one slice of toast with a little cheese, porridge again, a nice muffin.
I've been eating a little of some uncooked vegetables...carrots; turnips that sort of thing. Some salads with tomatoes and peas and a few chips, all small portions.
Taking very easy easy steps to build up towards a much healthier diet.

Two hours after I got up this morning and before I had something to eat I checked my sugar levels, they were higher than the last time...8.9.

Then, two hours after a bowl of porridge I tested again, 12.9 this time. the highest lately was 14.9.

The only thing is I'm now starving most of the time, but I try keeping my mind occupied to help me, but it's jolly hard.
I'm not complaining, I'm just telling you.

It's still obviously going to be a rather long proccess to get my eating habits as they should be.

Charlyechocolate and candiloo, thank you for your advice. Again, it's all going to take time trying all the diffirent selections of ideas I've been very kindly offered.

william

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello again.

Another instance of having breakfast two hours after rising this morning, just didn't feel like eating so had a pint of cold water.

Forgot to take my meds yesterday evening, so took blood reading rather hesitently, but I needn't have worried.... 7:0.

I was able to sleep all night last night, I'm certain that has a bearing on the low reading. As I mentioned before, I'm always hungry during the night when I'm up because I can't sleep.

Anyway, two hours after the pint of water I tried poached eggs with a little bacon for my first meal of the day.
I found the poched eggs difficult to eat, next time it'll be scrambled eggs with a little bacon.

Approx two hours later the reading was 12.0, rather dissapointed but, still very early days.

I know you'll be fed up reading this, but I just cannot thank you enough for your help and advice...all of you.

william or weewillie, or whatever you prefer. :)

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi,
Though I'm finding it hard at times, I'm still experimenting with the food advice many of you offered.
Quite a few days I find myself starving, yet unable to eat much, so it's water, couple of slices of toast,
fruit, and tea biscuits on those days.

Today, I could only get a couple of slices of toast, couple of apples and some tea biscuits down.
My last reading earlier on this evening was 6.9, very very low for me considering my average.

On the other hand, it's very positive to have such a low reading. :wink:
Yeh, I know, it's because I haven't had much to eat.

Anyway, this is just a reminder to let you know I still appreciate all the advice that was offered to me...
with a big thank you stuck on here at the end. :thumbup:

Still trying. :)

weewillie