boots ripping you off

bobbdobbs

I went into boots today to get a pack of BG testing strips for Accu-check compact and i thought I would get a 3 pack (51 strips) they said it was £27, three packs of 17 strips were £7 pounds each thus 51 strips costing £21!!!
It maybe only a few pounds but that soon adds up and as Im in too good control to get them on prescription (last Hba1c 6.1) according to my doctor.

oh and its my first post woohoo

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a diabetic you don't have to pay VAT on strips. You should mention this in the shop. When you buy strips from Boots website there is a form to fill in and they take the VAT off.

It is a bit strange that buying three smaller packs is cheaper than buying a larger pack of the same quantity.

BTW welcome to the Forum Bob.

iffat83

i had trouble getting my stripes on prescription. my doctor was not willing to give me repeat prescription on stripes glucose
so that i can get free stripes.
i had to phone boots twice for repeat prescription on glucose stripes but the prescription did not arrive.
at the end i made appointment to see trhe doctor and requested for stripes and lancets on prescriptions.
this is very bad. stripes are very expensive, so my doctor asked me to test less often only once or twice a week not daily.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
))Denise(( said:
It is a bit strange that buying three smaller packs is cheaper than buying a larger pack of the same quantity.
Denise, this is normal supermarket rip-off practice :evil: :evil:
Tossco Assda, and all the big supermarkets do it, they rely on you assuming that bigger packs are cheaper :evil: :evil:

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
bobbdobbs said:
I went into boots today to get a pack of BG testing strips for Accu-check compact and i thought I would get a 3 pack (51 strips) they said it was £27, three packs of 17 strips were £7 pounds each thus 51 strips costing £21!!!
It maybe only a few pounds but that soon adds up and as Im in too good control to get them on prescription (last Hba1c 6.1) according to my doctor.

oh and its my first post woohoo

I'd forgotten how steep some of these strips cost.
I switched meters to the SD Codefree BG Monitor over a year ago. 50 strips cost £4.99 (VAT excluded for diabetics) + £2 p & p - supplied through ebay.
Why pay more?

Boots, much like BT, relies on loyal customers who will never make the effort to shop elsewhere. Hence they rip you off. Much like BT' does with its charges.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
))Denise(( said:
Denise, this is normal supermarket rip-off practice :evil: :evil:
Tossco Assda, and all the big supermarkets do it, they rely on you assuming that bigger packs are cheaper :evil: :evil:

Bronte1660

I have just ordered tonight the SD Codefree BG Monitor from amazon. very easy, I paid £31 for the monitor kit and an extra 100 strips and 100 lancets. Its very easy to use the vat free, just select from the drop down box.
I am newly diagnosed this week, so am trying to get my BG down as it is 22 .