Have you had trouble getting test strips?

Have you ever had trouble getting test strips?

• Yes

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 75 43.9%

• Total voters

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
A lot of people on our Facebook page have expressed their anger at the fact they are now facing cuts in the amount of test strips they will be allowed.

Source: (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2013/Jan ... 00779.html)

Our question to you is: have you ever had any problems getting hold of test strips?

twinkle1980

Nope, but I will add a double disclaimer. I'm type 1 and newly diagnosed, so I don't expect them to kick up a fuss while I get under control...and if they ever start they will be faced with daily letters of complaint, and will be sick of the sight of me as I will be down the surgery 8 times a day for testing.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Yep, I'm type 1 and my doctor refused to give me anything but the glucoRX test strips. Now I'm going on a pump which links to the contourlink meter, I'm hoping they won't argue again.
I've also had one practice that I had to write "please prescribe more strips." every prescription for about 6 months because they were refusing to give me enough. I had to get a letter from the hospital saying I was on Dafne now and would be testing more than I used to before they'd give me more than 4 tubs of 24 a month.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lexilox

Only once, it was a good while ago, they got a strongly worded letter from me about the cost of complications to the NHS if I couldn't test enough to keep good control and that put an end to it. No problems since. I use an average of 220 strips a month. From what others have said on the forums I'm one of a lucky few.

calluna

I do not have any trouble getting test strips because I am a type 2 on insulin.
When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic, because I was Deck Officer in the Merchant Navy I was immediately placed on metformin given a meter and unrestricted access tp test strips and free prescriptions. My residence is in Scotland and I wonder if the attitude regarding test strips is different from other places in the UK.
Once I was placed on insulin I was then classed as permanently unfit for sea and had to give up my career. I now work at a Maritime Museum. I was talking to the practice nurse the other day (now in a "give up smoking" program LOL) and I mentioned the contraversy regarding test strips on this site. She told me that the practice issues test strips to all diabetics regardless of whether or not they were on insulin. Apparently the cost of the strips is less than the cost of any medication given to diabetic. The policy is to get diabetics to manage their illness by diet alone if possible and if they are self testing this is a less exspensive method that having to prescribe medication at a later date

Dave

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i am type 2 not on any medicatoin for diabetes this month i have been denighed test strips my gp would like to give me them but is over ruled by the other gp's in the practise.

pugsnumber1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not yet, although the receptionist has got crabby with me when I once went in desperate as I was running low, after I told her exactly what I thought about her opinion my gp sorted a prescription

greekqueen

I am in Scotland , a type 2 diabetic for 10 years, in the last 18 months I have been refused strips or needles for my machine, all type 2 diabetics are apparently not allowed to have them prescribed now from the surgery. I buy them from ebay now.

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a type 2 and began injecting insulin 4 times a day back in November. I've currently got a OneTouch UltraEasy monitor, given to me by my surgery, which does the job but is pretty basic. I'd like to start using a more sophisticated meter which keeps track of trends in my sugar levels, but when I asked my nurse about the possibility of using a OneTouch VerioIQ (which this site were giving away at the time), the nurse said they'd been told "from on high", as she put it, not to prescribe test strips for the IQ, as they cost the NHS twice as much as the ones for my existing meter.

I'm now wondering if there's any "official" list of what strips the NHS *will* prescribe, so I can maybe find a meter that does what I want but uses NHS-sanctioned strips.

Anyone any ideas?

awjsompting

Up until recently I was being told off for even doing testing at my own cost ( am Type 2 having been diagnosed approx 5 years ago). At my latest review earlier ths month it was decided to add Gliclazide to my 4x500mg of Metformin and to monitor this have been issued wothTrueone test strips with built- in meter. I am assuming this is only while thy try to decide on the dosage of Gliclazide but wait to see.

happycat

I was diagnosed as type 2 in September and have been soundly "ticked off" for daring to home test and keep a food diary. Apparently this is obsessive behaviour and is very harmful. I was also told that I cannot have a prescription for strips as they are not necessary as the only test that counts is the annual HbA1c. The fact that I have lowered my BG reading from 85 to 46 does not count at all. I don't think that I could have done it without testing and will continue to do so, although I will no longer talk about what I do with either the doctor or the nurse. I have paid for my meter and strips and will continue to do so. I have been offered Metformin, anti-depressants and statins. Are they free to the doctors? :crazy:

stevenjw

I was diagnosed diabetic 5years ago and resentley changed my doctor but my wife still sees my old doctor both in the same surgery. My wife can still get her test strip but my doctor tells me i dont need to test my blood sugars. But my nurse tells me i should as i am taking glyclaside tablets so i get mine perscribed every 3 months by my nurse.

Sent from my ST18i using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

suetiller

I was diagnosed Type 2 two years ago I have been told I do not need to check my glucose levels and therefore I am unable to obtain strips from my surgery they have told me my HbA1c is sufficient to control my diabetes, I am not convinced I do purchase my strips from Amazon, I have found on a few occasions when feeling unwell that my sugar has dropped without the strips I would not be aware of what was needed to feel better. :(

Stormylady

I'm type 2, and was refused any test strips. At the moment I just cannot afford any more, I've run out, and I do keep getting hypo's. I'm on metformin. So of course I cannot keep any record of what is happening to me, but hey, as we say, when I have complications it'll cost the NHS more in the long run. I will buy some more strips as soon as I can afford them by the way. :roll:

James12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost 80% of NHS funding for type 1 diabetes goes towards treating complications, where as 20% goes towards preventing complications by attempting to normalise blood sugar levels. (4-6%). Yet some health care 'professions' are rationing test strips. If doctors and nurses are not helping type 1 diabetics to normalise their blood sugar levels, we should expect a further rise in diabetic complications.

Luckily test strip rationing is being discussed in parliament at the moment and has been condemned.

sources:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... generation

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/news/latest-news ... as-bonkers

Reactions: 3 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 diagnosed in 2009. I've only just two weeks ago been given a meter with strips and lancets on prescription.

I had no problem getting the prescription in fact I've been asked to test twice a day and when I explained the the diabetes nurse that my preacription of 50 strips wouldn't last a full month she immediately changed my prescription to two packs of fifty strips.
So I've now got plenty of strips to allow me any extra testing I want to do.

Whether or not it stays that way I'll have to wait and see.

borobabe

Yes I am type 2 and over a year ago the diabetic nurse informed me quite calmly that we were not getting any strips or lancelots, explanation given that we need to control our diabetis better ourselves and this I do, sometimes it is good to test now and again but like she said if I am up one day what would I do, how would I know if I cannot test myself. To be fair I do have 2 bloods a year and they are good to diabetics if you help yourself me thinks. I do think its a cost cutting excercise and if the cost of buying them was not so high I think more people would purchase them, this is probably what they want. I really do not want to create because i think they would just say tough go somewhere else. In the same area some doctors are still supplying them.Its very hit and miss so good luck to all those who need them and I really think type 1 should be given them it surely must be more cost effective than leaving it to chance.
Spring soon be hear so onwards and upwards and 'UP THE BORO'
:thumbup: