Diagnosed this week

Bronte1660

Hi
I was told this week that I have type 2 diabetes. I have been put on Metformin and Lisinopril. My Gp has told me I mustn't have any sugar at all including fruit.
I had a blood test back in October but heard nothing from my GP so stupidly thought all was well. It was only a conversation with a Physio that prompted me this week to get the result. My level? was 16.7.
I also had a pre op assessment yesterday for an operation that I am due to have on 4.2.2013, and was called today to say that the level was 22, so has increased somewhat. They have cancelled my op, and told me another level was 12- I didn't really take this is as I was reeling from the 22. They say they wont test me again for 84 days minimum.
I am confused, and o say the least a little down. If I cant have anything with sugar in and I read on here that I should cut down on carbs. What is there left to eat.
I don't really understand why they cancelled my op. I don't know what to eat. I have purchased a monitor, not arrived yet because my GP says I don't need one. How easy is it to get my level down to 7, which I have been told is my goal.

kellster71

I know it is not a very helpful answer, but the time it takes to lower your blood sugar will be down to your individual circumstances. It took me 10 days to get from 16.6 to 6.8, but that is probably not realistic at all for the majority. I also had an infection which cleared up in that time which helped no end. I believe the metformin can take a while to affect you blood sugar level. From what I've read it is anything between 3 weeks and 3 months. As you can see, it is not an exact science.

As for what to eat, look at the page below. Anything on the low GI brackets should be fine.

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It may be that your blood finger orick instant test was 22, but your average blood for last 90days... Your hba1c was 12.

It is your hba1c that your HCP's will be interested in initially. Pre op the HCP's will always test blood, as if the levels are high you will take longer to heal and more prone to infection... Which is wht ops can be cancelled..

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Bronte and welcome to the forum :)

Good advice from the members above. Another good idea of what to eat is to read Viv's Modified Atkins Diet thread in the Low Carb section:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18803

Here is the information we give to new members which should be helpful to you too. Ask all the questions you need to and, as you have already seen, someone will come to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Bronte1660

Thank you all for the helpful advise. I am on a mission now to concentrate on what I can have and not worry about what I cant have. Just thinking of the cant have as poison. :crazy:

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Bronte

Please don't think of some food as poison, that is not a good place to go. The diagnosis of diabetes is shocking and upsetting, and you have to give yourself some time to adjust, to read, and to learn how to handle it. Cutting out obvious sugar is a good place to start, but not the end-point. I was in your situation nearly a year ago, and if I could speak to the earlier me I would say this;

1) Keep a food diary of everything you eat and drink. An excel spreadsheet is great. You need to record the carbs and calories in everything ideally. NO CHEATING!
2) If you have an I pad or phone, buy the brilliant carbs&cals app. It will really help you achieve 1)
3) Work out how many grams of carbs you are eating in a day, especially with your main meal.
4) Set yourself a target for the number of carbs per day, and keep to it. I went for 150g as a starting point
5) Buy a meter and start testing. As a minimum, test 3 times a day, on waking, before your main meal, and 2 hours after.
6) Start seeing the connection between the number of carbs you eat, and your reading 2 hours later.
7) Start noticing that some foods cause a greater spike than others. This will be special to you, but for me new boiled potatoes are better than rice)
8) If your measurements are more than 7 before a meal, and 8.5 2 hours later, you are eating more carbs than you can cope with, and you need to reduce them a bit more.
9) Keep experimenting to reduce your figures to where they need to be. Perhaps reduce your after meal target to the 7.8 as some on here recommend.
10) After a couple of months, you will have a food diary with BG figures recorded, that tell you which meals you are fine to eat. You can therefore scale back the testing after those meals.

Provided that you still have a good level of pancreas function, and you measure and control your carbs to the level your body can deal with, you will hit your target for your op. Loads of people on here have gone from HBac1's of over 12 to under 7. It can be done.

Hope this helps a little.

Caterham.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bronte1660 said:
I am on a mission now to concentrate on what I can have and not worry about what I cant have.

People vary and over time you will learn what works for you and what doesn't work for you. This booklet issued in the Republic of Ireland, Healthy Eating, is aimed at diabetics and has nice comparisons between food types. Personally, I can't eat any refined white flours, bread and pasta, but am OK with most whole grain flours. Brown rice is good, white rice is not so good.

Some of the dishes in this booklet look quite tempting: http://www.diabetes.ie/wp-content/uploa ... ooklet.pdf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome :wave:

best wishes RRB

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do follow-up on the low-carb food links you have been given. You can have some fruit but don't go mad and avoid the higher GI carb fruits such as bananas, melons etc. Use the meter to check. Ignore the doctor ref meters as it's all about cost. You do need one to find out which foods affect you and by how much. Eat to the meter is the diabetics moto.

DaveNN

Yorksman said:
Bronte1660 said:
I am on a mission now to concentrate on what I can have and not worry about what I cant have.

People vary and over time you will learn what works for you and what doesn't work for you. This booklet issued in the Republic of Ireland, Healthy Eating, is aimed at diabetics and has nice comparisons between food types. Personally, I can't eat any refined white flours, bread and pasta, but am OK with most whole grain flours. Brown rice is good, white rice is not so good.

Some of the dishes in this booklet look quite tempting: http://www.diabetes.ie/wp-content/uploa ... ooklet.pdf

There's an excellent app for diabetes management for both the iPod and ipad, it allows for meds, carbs, BG.BP etc etc and presents the data in both table and graph forms.
Perversely, even though you can add the data, it does not offer a graph for calories taken.
It also gives you nutritional information on all manner of foods, brands and allows for customisation and favourites to be added.
The iBGStar meter also has an excellent app but its designed for the earlier generation if iPods and pads, with the 30 way connector.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's probably a good idea. I tried keeping a record in a spreadsheet, but gaps in the data quickly appeared. I think My Accu-chek links to some software though, there's got to be some reason for the USB connector.