High fats

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
I have been eating a lower carb diet for a while. Result, got on the scales to read a weight of 8st 4 and height of 5-3. Great if I hadn't checked my body fat. The readout states it is 43% and poor is 41% so mine must be bloomin awful. Now feel I have to cut out the cream and butter as well as the carbs. What's left apart from the high wind diet? (Sprouts cucumber and leaves) and a gas mask for the hubby maybe!! :oops: Any ideas?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
How low carb have you been eating? At 25g per day you don't have to worry about fat at all, but as you go higher with the carbs, so you cut down on the fat to balance it. If you're eating very low carb, you'll burn off the fat

However - is that "41% = poor" for males or females? Females naturally have more body fat than males. I'm not saying it should be 41%, but it's worth trying to find out what the levels for a woman should be!

Viv 8)

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
jumbleannie1VDJQ said:
I have been eating a lower carb diet for a while. Result, got on the scales to read a weight of 8st 4 and height of 5-3. Great if I hadn't checked my body fat. The readout states it is 43% and poor is 41% so mine must be bloomin awful. Now feel I have to cut out the cream and butter as well as the carbs. What's left apart from the high wind diet? (Sprouts cucumber and leaves) and a gas mask for the hubby maybe!! :oops: Any ideas?

the trick is to count calories AND carbs

so still have the fats - aim for about 50% of your calories from fats

but just have smaller portions

you need the fats lol because if you are not depending on grains to make you go to the loo then you have to depend on the fats so dont give them up, just make sure that you do not exceed the number of calories that are correct for you every day

spaglemon

i'm in no way an expert and can only comment from my own experience, since i was diagnosed just over a year ago i have dropped from just over 20 stone to just under 14 stone, i'm male and 6ft 2in, more importantly i've dropped from 34% bodyfat to 18% which for men is in the "healthy" range, i want to get as lean as possible and am aiming for 10-12% eventually, i've done this mainly by low carbing and have realised the strong link between keeping your blood sugar low and fat loss.

congratulations on your weight loss though, that fat reading sounds very high even bearing in mind that as a woman you're designed to carry more bodyfat and will find it harder to lose fat, depending on your age anywhere between 21-36% is a "healthy" range allegedly.

i'm trying to picture you with the details you've given and something doesn't sound right, if it's a bodyfat bathroom scale type thing your using i don't think they're the most reliable things in the world ? you must have very little lean mass (muscle) and i can highly recommend weight training for effective fat loss, don't be concerned about getting too big and muscular as women don't get big naturally and i think there is growing evidence that weight training is superior to cardio for fat loss ?

as far as your diet goes always remember that fat doesn't make you fat ! but carbs certainly do ! i have never consumed so much fat in my life and everything is steadily improving, don't be afraid of eating fat at all

good luck

Finzi

I agree with Spaglemon that if it is a home scale you are using, they are terribly unreliable, I think they can just be a bit of a gimmick, to be honest. I've clocked up three wildly different percentages within 2 minutes using mine. Like him, I find it so hard to imagine that at 8 stone something you could have such high body fat. FWIW for comparison I weigh 20.5 stone and am about 5 foot 6, and my body fat is about 49% (measured on a professional scale)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
The fat was measured on a weighing scales in a chemists. I am female aged 59 and have a quite physical job and go to Zumba. I do eat bread, but try to keep my carbs down by small portions. Maybe I need to cut it out completely? Bs levels are not great, but within the suggested rate from what I have seen here. 2 hours after eating am almost always below 6.5, and fasting between 5.5 and 6.5 (latter usually after a BAD night of curry and 1 cappatti, homemade with multigrain flour.) Am looking for another machine to test accuracy of the one I used.Thanx for replies