Help and advice needed

joxy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with t2 in 2002 and have played at being diabetic for years not really takin it seriously. I dont know how, but my bloods were mostly undr control until recently. Since I have decided to eat healthy and try to loose weight, my bloods are now escalating and are badly managed. They have been under control for so long I took it for granted they would stay that way. However, since giving up sweets, chocolate, cakes and biscuits, amd started eating much less my bloods were 28.8 when I checked em the other day. but I think they have been elevated for a lot longer. I would say about 5 months. I have Sjogrens that causes dry mouth and stuff I put my being tired and ultra dry mouth down to that, it never occured to me it would be diabetes.

So now I am on a steep learning curve. When I saw my GP he said I should have gone to the AE with bloods at that level. Is this what everyone does?

I am now checking my bloods and they are swinging between 15.5 this morning and 24.5 at Teatime and now they are 22.5 2 hours after my meds. which they were before I took my meds.

What foods can i eat? I hear carbs are a no no but arnt fruit carbs? What about orange juice? Milk? Weetabix (my staple). I am scared now and have no idea what to eat for the best! When I first was diagnosed I was told to eat a normal diet. I have major reshuffle to do with my food any help would be greatfully recieved.

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
low carb means meats [chicken and fish and eggs and cheese] and some light veggies

avoiding or limiting all grains seems to work for a lot of people here and limiting fruits also

good luck

joxy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your speedy reply:
What do people eat for breakfast when they are avoiding grains?

twinkle1980

Eggs - in all their forms
Bacon/ham/sausage

Flaxseed, coconut and almond porridge

Fish

Some people a lot a portion of their daily carbs to breakfast and may have an oat porridge, but it all depends on their bodies reaction to it. I can have real porridge, but reddy brek spikes me hard - as I found out to my cost.

joxy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is all so confusing. How many carbs a day is the limit, I need to try and get my levels down in a hurry.

I jsut dont understand today I feel so poorly , was reallly hungry, was feeling sick and shakey almost like I had a sugar crash, but my blood was in the 18 range, condfused. I had something to eat and felt so much better!

joxy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: Help and advice needed/ Could this be posible

I have been readiing a lot of information and I am wondering if this is pssible.
As I have said, although I have been diagmosed with T2 for 11 years almost, I have not actually taken it seriously mostly out of denial! So I have never watched what I ate but have never had any problems. My blood test that give you the 3 monthly BG results have always been 7 or under. 2 years ago i had a major fall and broke my hip, now I have Osteo arthritis in my hip and need a hip replacement. I was told I needed to lose 7 stone before I could be operated on ( iam a very big lady)I have gradually lost a couple of stones and then a couple of months ago I decided enough was enough and it was time to lose the weight. I have been cutting back on claories but mostly fats. Since New year this has been done in earnest. My thoughts are that I have cut the fats out that have been protecting me from elevated BG levels. So yes my eating has been healthier but this has caused me to cut out fat and that is why I am seeing high BG Levels,

If this is possible then I know what to do. Reintroduce the fats and reduce the carbs. I have always been a cheese eater but had cut it out.

I guess only time will tell!

What are everybodies thoughts on this?

sparkyrich

My weight yoyo's about like something demented. When I feel the urge to be good I follow the low carb diet advice on here. Plenty meat, eggs, fish, cheese and non root veg (so plenty cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower etc) . Stay away from bread pasta, pastry rice etc. Sounds harsh but it works and the pounds fly off. Oh, and tough as you may find it, you have to use plenty of real butter and cream !

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using DCUK Forum mobile app

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Help,
Can anyone tell me what the following c-peptide results mean...serum insulin level 392, plasma insulin c-peptide level 94 pmol/l. My DSN didn't know and I am waiting for a phone call from the diabetic consultant to tell me but am still waiting. I was diagnosed over 3 years ago supposed with type 1. I'm a 63 year old male who's weight is around 74kg. I've been that for years. I'm on porcine after problems with levemir and lantus. Last HB1AC was 8.5%.

foreverdelayed

Werthepeople said:
Has any 1 else had problems with their eyes as in shadows and blurriness and will this get better ???

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I would get an appointment for retinal screening to check it out. My retinopathy started with blurring vision when I was going low or was tired. I've had laser surgery in both eyes and to be honest it didn't get better but hasn't got any worse in 4 years. I started taking benfotiamine about the same time also. Good luck.

All about the 420

candiloo

Hi - I try to stick to 60g of carbs a day, cereals are a waste of these are there are a lot and they leave you hungry really quickly - slow release are best like porridge. If you are having trouble with high levels, and I was ok for a while then suddenly had really high, you may find you have suddenly become insulin resistant. I needed metformin to help me. They say you should go to the hospital with very high levels, but I told my lot for 3 months that I had high levels, and they left me for all that time before I finally went, and the treatment was such that they obviously try to get the level down quickly, which leaves you feeling odd and can damage the retina. As with anything, you need to get it down to a safe level gradually and the eyesight issues like the unfocussedness all go back to normal. It took me two weeks, and then it was much better, although some things really set it off. Cornflakes are the worst for me. Also, the levels are better if you do a little exercise - I got an exercise bike and watch television from there! I had a project which involved sitting down and discovered the levels went all over if I was idle. If you have the carb counting course, it teaches you to inject according to what you eat, so if you are not too overweight, you can be normal. When I want to go out for a meal, I take my carbs and cals book (Amazon) which shows quite clearly the carbs in foods I may eat, and I can calculate how much insulin to take. This works very well. Good luck! I hope this helps, but everyone is different. Best breakfast - 2 boiled eggs and Danish bread for toast (low carb)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Joxy

Have a look at Viv's Modified Atkins Diet , which is a Sticky Thread on the Low-carb Diet section of the forum. Not only will you lose weight on this, but it will lower your blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

The diet as it stands is very low carbohydrate - 25g daily. As your blood glucose has been running high for a while I wouldn't go that low immediately - maybe start on about 100g carb daily and lower that over a number of weeks. As Candiloo says, a Carb Counter book is essential for adding in lower-carb vegetables and fruit until you get your desired amount of carbs. Not too much fruit - berries, apricots and plums are not too bad. If you want bread, look for Bergen, which is full of seeds and lower carb/lower GI, and have 1 or at most 2 slices daily.

Don't be afraid of fat - natural unprocessed fat, that is. Stay away from anything processed or artificial, eg shop-bought cakes. But you won't be eating those, will you? :wink:

Do you have a blood glucose meter? You really do need to monitor your blood glucose levels very carefully as you reduce your carbs, because you will probably have to reduce your medication too, otherwise you may end up going hypo. I suggest, before you start, that you go to discuss this with your GP. Don't tell him/her that you are going very low carb; some (like mine) approve, but many others don't. Say you are going to try contolling your carb intake to help you lose weight and get control of your BGs, and ask him what you should do about your medication. And ask for test strips on prescription, if you don't already get them. And you will need to test first thing (as soon as you wake up), before each meal, 2 hours after eating, and at bed-time. Once you get control and learn what you can and can't eat, you'll test less often.

As for A&E - yes, many people, particularly Type 1s, go to A&E with levels over 15. If you feel very ill with it, get yourself down there. You can't be too careful.

Hope this helps. Ask any questions you like - there's no such thing as a silly question, on this site.

Viv 8)