shift work eating... and fibromyalgia

jmill1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a newly diagnosed t2 with a hba1c of 7.3 which im hoping will be managed by diet. My gp is referring me to a dietician which is great but I also suffer with fibromyalgia and I work 24/7 shift pattern. Fibromyalgia means i have aches and pains and always feel exhausted, craving carbs to help to give me energy. At work we dont always get our breaks so I can end up skipping meals and drinks while working over 12 hours. I am a cardiology nurse and have been devastated by the diagnosis as I give dietary advice to my patients everyday. I am overweight. My bmi is 29.6. Just getting through each working day is a struggle as my fibromyalgia treatment is being changed yet again. Any support would be greatly appreciated...

jmill1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thatll teach me to type a reply on my mobile rather than on the pc. I meant to say my fasting was 7.3! Gp hasnt requested a hba1c yet

Mrs Mac

Hi,
I hope you're getting on ok. It's a real shock being diagnosed with diabetes. I thought I was managing just fine until last week when I had lots of hypos. It has really thrown me and made me realise how serious this condition can be. It must be awful for you to try and manage your diabetes whilst working long hours and in such a busy environment. It would be easy for me to suggest that your employers should ensure you get your breaks on time and allow you time to eat regularly but I understand that this might not be practical. My step mum suffers with fibromyalgia and I know what a disabling effect this can have on you, and that people don't always understand. All I can say is that you're not alone and the people on here are fantastic. I'm sure someone will come along with some useful advice soon. Take care x

whistlermom

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hallo
I am overweight and have had fibromyalgia since 2009. I have learned thru trial and error that a routine with eating is vital to control IBS and dizziness. I have two shots of caffeine a day, eg mid morning coffee and mid afternoon tea, then its decaff all the way. Really you need to stick to one type of shift, a rotating shift pattern is not going to work for your body. Make time for breakfast, start with water, then the food. Chew - it wakes your digestion up. Have lunch with good helping of protein, stops you feeling dead tired in the afternoon. Enjoy your afternoon caffeine with a snack and take sandwiches with you if need be so dinner isn't late. You need your food when you are burning your calories. I see nurses sneaking off for naughty ciggies, so if they can get time to smoke, you can make time to drink and eat.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a newly diagnosed t2 with a hba1c of 7.3 which im hoping will be managed by diet. My gp is referring me to a dietician which is great but I also suffer with fibromyalgia and I work 24/7 shift pattern. Fibromyalgia means i have aches and pains and always feel exhausted, craving carbs to help to give me energy. At work we dont always get our breaks so I can end up skipping meals and drinks while working over 12 hours. I am a cardiology nurse and have been devastated by the diagnosis as I give dietary advice to my patients everyday. I am overweight. My bmi is 29.6. Just getting through each working day is a struggle as my fibromyalgia treatment is being changed yet again. Any support would be greatly appreciated...

There seem to be lots of people with fibromyalgia these days, and loads on here too.

As I understand it, fibro sufferers are advised to eat a "healthy" diet. Your challenge is the healthy diet, as that's really all T2 requires, in many instances. Please don't just refer to the NHS Eatwell Plate when considering diet, as so many of us have found that simply doesn't marry with diabetes. Put bluntly, carbohydrates are the main culprits in boosting our bloods upwards, so they have to be controlled, if not necessarily completely avoided. In other words, most of us eat a reduced carbohydrate diet.

When diagnosed, my absolute main aim was to reduce my blood scores, with any trimming up being a bonus. Using a reduced carb diet, I did both, with, in my own opinion, excellent results. I didn't feel hungry. After a few days adjustment, I didn't crave any carbs (aside from habit), and had loads of energy. Thee are lots of ways to fill the energy gap without resorting to carbs. It's important to get your hear around that bit.

Along with diet, a blood glucose meter is an essential tool, for immediate feedback on how you're doing. Some are willing to try a way of eating, then wait for months to see if it's working. That's too passive for me. I want feedback, now. Immediately. It's unlikely you will be prescribed a meter and strips in UK, but it's a worthwhile investment in your health. Most of us use the Codefree meter from Homehealth, as it is affordable and reliable: http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

I'm sure plenty of folks will have input to make. I'll tag @cold ethyl as I know,she suffers with fibro, and has also done extremely well using diet to control her condition.

Ask lots of questions. That's what we all did at the outset.

Newyorker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I am also newly diagnosed and also have fibromyalgia. I am going to use the LCHF diet as a way to control my diabetes and hopefully that will help me lose weight as well. Also, trying to walk more and generally get more exercise. I can totally relate to feeling tired and turning to carbs to get thru the day, if you plan well and by eating lots of protein, it does help with the hunger and gives me more energy. The pain is still there, but I still cope with it. I hope you manage to get your diabetes sorted and maybe some of the fibro pain will go away as well!

Take care!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you take statins? Fibro myalgia is one of the side effects of statins
CAROL