Pets?

twinkle1980

Just because I'm a nosey cow I was wondering what (if any) pets people have?

I have a bit of a menagerie, after volunteering for rescues and being such a terrible failed fosterer lol.

Sooo.

7 rescued mice
1 hamster

Officially those above are the kids, and they're good at taking the responsibility, but regardless I look after them too.

Then we have the cats...
Sheba - rescued Cornish rex

Celeste - Maine coon from a breeder friend

And the dogs...

Miso - rescued Chinese crested hairy hairless.

Billy - mixed small black terrier who resembles hairy maclary and gnasher

Frankie - rescued black chihuahua puppy, 4mo and he arrived 3 weeks before I was diagnosed. Things would have seemed much bleaker if I hadn't had his nutty puppy antics to laugh at.

Frankie found me, and wasn't a planned addition (neither were the rodents lol), but I wouldn't be without him or any of them.

There is something very therapeutic having animals, and the social and physical aspect of dog walks is excellent. I've made lots of friends but I couldn't tell you their names... I know them as "rovers mum", "Harleys dad", "gizmos walker" etc etc. I can recite most of their family history, just don't ask me their names!

Other dog walkers don't judge you, and all will share in the knowing smile at 6am in the snow while you freeze in your slippers praising a puppy for peeing, or when you proudly sport a poo bag as its their first time "going" on a walk and not in the garden. They will comment on a shiny new lead or collar, but won't notice if you had gained 2 stone or were wearing shoes with holes in. It's just lovely, and for anyone looking for a bit of exercise without being judged then borrow a dog and get out for a stroll!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Greyam - our beautiful spoilt putty cat :) He's the boss in this house but he also a very sweet natured 9 year old tabby.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,998

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Two little cats from the rescue home who chose us :clap:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Mr Tibbs, a grey-tabby-and-white 10-ish neutered male, who came from the Cats Protection League in Bracknell just last week. My sister-in-law was fostering him and he had a 5-hour journey to get here! :shock:

He has settled in very well, and it's quite obvious who is in charge. :roll: . I'm just hoping he doesn't go stir-crazy before it's time for him to go outside.

I've had lots of cats before, and 5 Irish Wolfhounds (only 2 at the same time), but the bungalow is not big enough for me and a Wolfhound. I'd have to camp outside! :crazy:

Viv 8)

PS He'd been found as a stray and they called him "Tibby". I ask you! :roll: So he's Mr Tibbs - what was that film starring Sidney Poitier?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Nice thread :thumbup:

Riri - greyam has beautiful markings on him .
Daisy - love the piccy .

We have 2 yorkshire terrier girls . sisters same parents
Freya [ teacup tiny 3lb ]
She is very confident,determined,cheeky and playful little minx .
Looks after her big sister 'gracey' .

Gracey [chunky 7.5lbs]
nervous,shy,loyal,vunerable,a real terrier .
Looks after me with my high and low BG levels .
Scrabbles at me when am too low - twice sat on me pushing my face upwards
when I just wanted to sleep [so I thought!]
Then sat on me barking till hubby came down to see what the racket was all about?
Saw me and realised I needed glucose 'fast' ...

Gracey also tells me when someone is on our drive and at the door too !
Am deaf :)
When I am unwell - she knows - she never leaves my side .
Amazingly skilled dog and my truest best friend too .

Anna.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Two guinea pigs called Meryl and Beryl. We got them a few years back when I was going through a bit of a bad time, this was before I was diagnosed. They're lovely little things, and are now trained to turn in a circle, give their paw and beg for food. Who'd have though guinea pigs were so intelligent?!

I'd love a labrador though, and I'd be forced into taking more exercise no matter how bad the weather was!

Sarah :)

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We've two little terrors... I mean terriers! :lol:

Both rescues, Tegan is a Jackadoodle (JRT x Poodle) and Elen a Jorkie (JRT x Yorkie) Both are, unfortunately, victims of the current fad of designer x breeds. Both bred for money then when they didn't sell ended up being dumped! (I say unfortunately however it was very fortunate for us as they are our world)

twinkle1980

Sharon68 said:
We've two little terrors... I mean terriers! :lol:

Both rescues, Tegan is a Jackadoodle (JRT x Poodle) and Elen a Jorkie (JRT x Yorkie) Both are, unfortunately, victims of the current fad of designer x breeds. Both bred for money then when they didn't sell ended up being dumped! (I say unfortunately however it was very fortunate for us as they are our world)

As a fellow "terrierist" owner I know just what you mean!

Anna wow! Your very own hypo alert dog!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I used to breed and show Italian Greyhounds. I did have a Crufts first place winner. She died in 2001 at 14 years old. Her daughter, who also had Crufts placings, died last June at 17 and Istill have HER son, now 12 and one of his daughters, who is 7. Years ago, I had an IG who I did obedience with. she was Great!
We also have 2 cats. One is now about 14/15 [we forget these things] she's black and white and we have an all over ginger, who is about 7 years old. He's very handsome. He's a striped tabby, which means he doesn't have the large dark swirls of the classic tabby..
All are thoroughtly spoiled. The dogs are called Gus and Molly, the cats, Primrose and Orlando.
I really want a Prague Ratter, which is a breed of dog. There are none in this country at present, but I've seen them in the Czech Republic and admire their friendly, but feisty temperament. They are very small.
Hana
PS the official name of the ginger colour is: Orange Tabby

claireb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise!
Hi,

I have a house rabbit called Edward who was rescued from a rehoming centre. I also have 1 guinea pig called Lavender (her sister died two months ago).

I also have two cats - Captian Jack, a black and white mega monster who is 5 but behaves like a baby :shh: and Charlie Bug, a stripey pale ginger female who was rescued last year and is about 2. She's a little crazy but I love her. :p

I'm never happier than when I'm with my pets and the cats are great therapy as i suffer from severe depression. They provide free cuddles and mop up my tears with their tails.

twinkle1980

hanadr said:
I used to breed and show Italian Greyhounds. I did have a Crufts first place winner. She died in 2001 at 14 years old. Her daughter, who also had Crufts placings, died last June at 17 and Istill have HER son, now 12 and one of his daughters, who is 7. Years ago, I had an IG who I did obedience with. she was Great!
We also have 2 cats. One is now about 14/15 [we forget these things] she's black and white and we have an all over ginger, who is about 7 years old. He's very handsome. He's a striped tabby, which means he doesn't have the large dark swirls of the classic tabby..
All are thoroughtly spoiled. The dogs are called Gus and Molly, the cats, Primrose and Orlando.
I really want a Prague Ratter, which is a breed of dog. There are none in this country at present, but I've seen them in the Czech Republic and admire their friendly, but feisty temperament. They are very small.
Hana
PS the official name of the ginger colour is: Orange Tabby

Depends on the breed, most ginger cats are reds or even creams. My gorgeous Celeste is a red silver tabby.

I like the Prague ratters too, but you have me most jealous about the itialian greyhounds! I had the pleasure to foster a little iggy lady some years ago but alas she didn't quite fit in with my rabble, although I still see her as her forever home is just down the road from my home. One day....thinks wistfully!

Sarahg

I have a dog cross between a springer and a collie. she is crazy and full of energy all of the time, doesnt walk on the lead but never lets me out of her sight when we're out.

she's very protective of my sister and me and will growl if anyone raises their voice at us she's like a bodyguard! seriously cute though.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1359154629245.jpg
    1359154629245.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,805

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
I have a 3 year old collie called Susie. I got her nearly 2 years ago from a rescue. I'm also a dog walker so at the moment I'm dog sitting a bullmastiff. She is HUGE! There's nothing better than getting out walking with the dogs pelting along happily. Love it!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1359155753.869839.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1359155753.869839.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,771

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
I have a staffy called Roxy, she's almost 3 years old. insane dog. such a softy, although whenever the door knocks she thinks it's her job to sound like a crazed beast. ( always put her in her cage when inviting someone in) once they're in and settled she comes out and licks them to death lol.

She's a fantastic advercate for staffy's, a lot of people cross the road when they see her coming, but she's quite happy with that. bless her when we got her as a 4 month old pup, she was scared of everything and everyone. except us she was so happy to be going away with us she didn't even look back at the people she was leaving. she still gets a little nervous if someone is behind her.I took her out everyday and sat on a wall with her on our main street just 10 mins a day. I encouraged people to come and stroke her and very soon she got used to it. now she tries to say hello to everyone and is so well mannered she sits down to greet them.

I can't take her for walks much just now as my knees are really painful, but a 10 minute chase around the garden and she's happy. Obviously I don't chase her lol just tap my walking stick on the ground and she's off like a greyhound out of the trap.

She's my baby x

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a few-
2 black and white rabbits that are rescues and 2 years old now called Ella and Sophia

1 large ginger cat who's 8 years old now from cat protection called Alfie.

1 ragdoll cat 6 years old called Maisie may who loves to go outside and bully others.

1 grey and white nearly 2 year old cat called Oscar.

Another ginger 2 year old cat called Tomas who is a reduce from a farm.

2 highland ponies one is grey 14.2hh called Fiona who is 12 years old and in foal. Then Ella who is nearly 5 years old and a mouse dun and very cheeky!

1 Shetland pony from a horse charity called princess she will be 6 this year and is grey.

Last of all a cob x Arab misty who is 26 years old grey.