GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Tootse said:
phoenix said:
The system here in France means that I get my care/drugs for diabetes related things free because it is a chronic disease. It doesn't apply to anything else.
If I need some antibiotics, as happened last year, when Ineeded a tetanus jab and some steri strips, I have to pay part of the bill, just the same as anyone else here . It's a different system so it would be at least 30% of the cost( some covered by insurance) The equivalent in the UK would be to pay the appropriate prescription charge (which older people. people on certain benefits and children don't pay anyway)
I think that makes total sense. When the problem is not caused by diabetes, we are no different to anyone else so why should we be charged any differently?

That does make sense phoenix . I have always bought a yearly prescription prepayment card for around £104, which saves me a lot of money over the year. I've had at least 7-8 prescribed medications every month on repeat for years before Metformin and Simvastatin were added in July this year. I've continued to use the card as it is valid until January 2013.

I still don't quite understand why, as diabetics, we can now get everything free.

Probably because diabetes is known to cause complications which means we're more likely than most to need to take lots of meds, which would be unaffordable for most people. Or maybe it's because they know that the diagnostic criteria for diabetes is so **** that many people are already suffering with diabetic complications before they're even diagnosed.

Daff

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brussel sprouts and aubergines...
slimtony said:
Seriously though, what were the chances of a Tory being an unthinking moron? :mrgreen:

Hmmm, what are the chances of any MP being a complete, moronic, self serving, corrupt, greedy little useless cockroach?
Um, about 150% I think! :x

LaserMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It doesn't surprise me in the least that a Berkshire MP is such a fool (being polite here, folks!!). I live in Berkshire and have only been in contact with my (Tory) MP twice.

1. I met him while he was campaigning for election. Told him that (then) 7-year-old, a member of MENSA, was not being stretched in (our local state) school and was being labelled disruptive as they were bored. He told me that there were several good schools in the area and proceded to name a couple - both being independent schools. He never even thought that anyone would not be able to pay for their child's education! Really in touch with the majority of voters, huh?

2. My now 16-year-old is a member of a national sporting team and frequently represents England and GBR in international competition. All the counties surrounding Berkshire subscribe to FANS (Free Access for National Sportspeople) or a similar scheme - but not Berkshire. All the UK youth competing against my child have free access to gyms and personal trainers - but not my child, because we live in West Berkshire with a Tory MP who doesn't give a toss. Our MPs response? It's not the local government's job to encourage my child to compete in their chosen sport. Where is the Olympic legacy then?

Tory MPs really stink. They wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of surviving without the old boy's network and all their bulky wallets!

And I was a staunch Tory voter until I encountered this plonker!!!!!

juliebarrett

The tory moran is a total a...h... I have to laugh at these politicians theyll hand money in the form of dla to alcoholics to feed their habits basically giving them money for their medicine no disrespect to any alcoholic but a natural illness like diabetes people have to pay they need to look at themselves if one of them or their family were diabetics the issue would not of risen its ugly head in the first place

petertremelling

Surely, Phoenix, the reason that those with diabetes treated with medication/insulin or those with an underactive thyroid is that it is the condition that screws with the whole body. In other words, the whole system is being messed up by the diabete/thyroid problem, thus need a large number of items in order to keep their health on the level. If most of us had to pay prescription charges for everything that was not for the diabetes etc alone, we might as well go and end it all right now as we could not possibly afford (as in my casea0 some £100 per month for prescriptions a month! :(

Finzi

Absolutely agree with you in principle Peter, but just to say that anyone with more than two prescription items per month (and not getting them free) should definitely get themselves a prepaid certificate - I think it's around £110 per year. I quite agree it would be unaffordable to pay otherwise.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have tried twice to view what the GP( General P***k/ MP, Moron personofied :roll: ) said but, this stupid computer wont let me :x I'm guessing from all the replies to this topic, that what he is saying is a load of bull :?:

Does he say ALL people with diabetes ? what about Type 1's, we HAVE to have insulin to live, constant finger pricking with test strips and lancets and we have to use a new needle each time we inject!!!! I remember years ago, about 1997/1998, we could get the insulin free, but had to pay for needles, I remember it because I was a mature student at college then and we were going to right a piece on why we had to pay for them.

I get child tax credit, because of a low income, so I do get all perscriptions free.

Best wishes RRB

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
petertremelling said:
Surely, Phoenix, the reason that those with diabetes treated with medication/insulin or those with an underactive thyroid is that it is the condition that screws with the whole body. In other words, the whole system is being messed up by the diabete/thyroid problem, thus need a large number of items in order to keep their health on the level. If most of us had to pay prescription charges for everything that was not for the diabetes etc alone, we might as well go and end it all right now as we could not possibly afford (as in my casea0 some £100 per month for prescriptions a month! :(

Anything related I would get at 100% but If I fall down skiing as did last year then I pay the same as anyone here else pays. Similarly when I was prescribed some oestrogen cream by a gynae I paid my bit I can't see that my chronic condition has anything to do with either of these things.
People in the UK would have to pay appropriate prescription charges for these things if they didn't have diabetes and indeed in the UK there are many people who have different chronic conditions that don't qualify for an exemption certificate. (list of things covered here: it isn't that long) http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1126.aspx

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mental health is the biggest cost to the health service followed by learning difficulties and neurological disorders with circulatory problems coming in 3rd. Why pick on diabetes?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yorksman said:
Mental health is the biggest cost to the health service followed by learning difficulties and neurological disorders with circulatory problems coming in 3rd. Why pick on diabetes?

Possibly caused by all the media news last year on Diabetes( type 2)( its not me saying that, it was said in the media) being an epidemic and stating that its costing the NHS millions. He probably needs to get into the real world and look at the drunken exploits of people at the weekends, costing the NHS for their nights out, binge drinking,injuries fighting and passing out into unconsiouness before vomiting everywhere, I've seen it on TV programmes :shock: Best wishes RRB

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Why pick on anyone at all. Ill health is ill health. That's all there is to it. :think:

jason5309

Dr Lee claimed over £ 124,000 expences on top of his £65000 mps salary nad works one day a week as a GP.
Money well spent???????

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
jason5309 said:
Dr Lee claimed over £ 124,000 expences on top of his £65000 mps salary nad works one day a week as a GP.
Money well spent???????

Grrrrrr! :x