Unexpected BG reading when trying a new site

CambridgeLass

Hi. My daughter has been diagnosed over a month now and so far we inject in her thighs as that what she is comfortable with. Last night she was happy for me to inject her Lantus in her bottom, but the morning reading was 11.8 whereas we normally have morning readings between 5-6. I know different sites affect absorption but i wasn't expecting this for the overnight basal. It's out of the ordinary. Any ideas from those more experienced than myself as a newbie?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

burnbrae

Hi, I have never been brave enough to inject in my bottom!!. I have always injected in the thighs too most of the time mainly because it's easier and more convenient. Other places i have done are in the stomach (but seemingly your not to do it within 2" of your belly button. Another place is in upper arm but at the back of it. I believe the insulin needs to go into muscle, (please correct me if i'm wrong). Also the size of needle can have an effect, possibly in her bottom might not be long enough. Myself i use 8mm ones and have no problems so far. I am maybe talking rubbish you already know lol but just in case you don't.

Gwyn65

Different sites vary incredibly in absorption rates. Been T1 for 37 years & initially did injections in thighs & arms ( with old type syringes). With the pen the arm is not so easy. I used to inject regularly in my stomach til about 7 years ago when I discovered that I was getting intermittent absorption when injecting there. I was yoyo-ing from extreme highs to hypos with no reason. I now just inject in thighs & use 6mm needles

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Vast majority for 27 years have been in my bum and hips.. Cannulas for last 2+ years... Never any lumps, bumps or probs..cant use stomach. Use legs..but I tend to go higher in legs and end up changing sets more often due to inadvertently hitting blood..

Dont form an opinion on one injection..thats only advice I can give.. My bum is the best place for me.. But we afe all different

CambridgeLass

Thank you all. :) Yes, I've read about the different absoption rates. Her BG was off all day though as if the Lantus hadn't worked properly. Next night I did it in her thigh as normal and it was all back to normal. Ideally I should have done a repeat to see if the same thing happened again. I did do the novorapid on her bum and that was OK. Strange though when I looked at the medication info,unlike the Novorapid, Lantus does not say bottom as a site: http://www.lantus.com/starting/how-to-u ... -site.aspx. Don't know why though I was told by the DN that you could and it seems plenty do.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think we can all get days when it appears that a site, insulin, injection, set, tube, pump...something doesnt work.. Oh yes and sometimes our bodies.. Pre school, after hols, stress, anxiety, illness.... And hormones and qty of carbs and fat too!!

Nothing is necessarily straight forward when thinking about type 1 or type 2 meds.

KieranP

Best to do the BI (background insulin) in the lower half of your body i.e thighs, bum, as the lower half has a slower absorption rate. Best for Lantus, Levemir etc...

And best to do your QA (Quick Acting) in the top half i.e stomach, arms, as the top half has a faster absorption rate. Best for NovoRapid.

Hope this will help you and your daughter out

AMBrennan

I believe the insulin needs to go into muscle, (please correct me if i'm wrong).
You are wrong. True, insulin has to reach the bloodstream to work but injecting into muscle tissue is a good way of giving you a hypo since the insulin is designed to be injected into the subcutaneous fat layer.
I used to inject regularly in my stomach til about 7 years ago when I discovered that I was getting intermittent absorption when injecting there. I was yoyo-ing from extreme highs to hypos with no reason. I now just inject in thighs & use 6mm needles
Newer and shorter needles are less likely to hit muscle I.e. will result in more consistent absorption.

petertremelling

I always use my tummy, with tiny 4mm pen needles. Mt diabetes nurse tells me that the insulin is absorbed via the capillaries ( the tiny blood vessels) Hope this helps.