paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
petertremelling said:
Could I just ask what the point of testing is if you don't "get around to calling the nurse"?

Because I am a carer to 3 disabled children and I try and avoid hospital visits where possible and I test ketone levels so I can take action to lower them at home wherever possible.

glaves_r1991

When blood glucose is over 15 t1 should be testing for ketones I personally have an freestyle optimum same as glucomen but I prefer the optimum and I get both BG test strips or the optimum and also a freestyle insulinx which calculates my cp/insulin dose all and 10 ketone test strips.

On the.matter of.price has anybody asked your GP or pharmacy about a medical exemption certificate to get all prescriptions item free a GP should not say anything about cost and price if you need something u need it

Sent from my LT15i using DCUK Forum mobile app

Sootymurphy

Hi
Ive had t1 for 15 yrs only became aware if ketones last christmas having had diarrhoea & vomiting.my levels on ketostix were 16 so dsn nurse sent me straight to a&e. they put me in a drip as i couldnt get enough fluid into me. This happened 3 times last year. Ketones were still high upon leaving a&e but they take a while to flush out. Hope this helps. Waiting time in a&e can be long so best to go when you realise u have them.ive never tested blood ketones tho only use ketostix.

glenmoray

I've been a diabetic for 35 years and like you never tested for Ketones until I attended a DAFNE course in Birmingham and was given a Glucoman LX. I've been told by the DAFNE nurses only to check for Ketones if my blood sugars are above 14 mmol. I've had no trouble adding the Ketone test strips to my repeat precription. I've been told you can get a Glucomen LX from their Website or diabetes.co.uk were giving away the Abbotts version.

michelereid2002

There is another meter its from abbott and its called a FREESTYLE OPTIUM it has 2 features it does blood sugar and keytones separate strips blue for blood sugar and pink for keytones the paramedics use this meter its so easy to use the only downfall is the keytone stips only come in packs of 10 its a really good meter I have only been a diabetic since 2008 and I have tried a few meters this picks up the slights changes in the blood give it a try don't have the details but will add them so you can see for yourself

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
glenmoray said:
I've been a diabetic for 35 years and like you never tested for Ketones until I attended a DAFNE course in Birmingham and was given a Glucoman LX. I've been told by the DAFNE nurses only to check for Ketones if my blood sugars are above 14 mmol. I've had no trouble adding the Ketone test strips to my repeat precription. I've been told you can get a Glucomen LX from their Website or diabetes.co.uk were giving away the Abbotts version.

That's the meter I have, as I said earlier my gp won't prescribe the ketone strips as there too expensive, last time I checked I'm sure they were around £20 for a pack of 10 which compared to the Ketostix at £3 is a big difference.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I got a prescription for 50 ketostix from the GP - Whilst I was there he said "I'm not sure I'm allowed to prescribe you these, but I will anyway" .... confused me a little - I wasn't sure if it was because he was still a trainee doing rotations or what. Why wouldn't a GP be allowed to prescribe a T1 ketostix?

Anyway, soon i shall be a ketone-checking wonder woman! :lol:

kezz01489

Dislikes
Judgemental people, everyone is entitled to their opinion but when people don't listen they will never learn. I know that cause that's how I used to be.
its sensible to test for keytones when your blood is high it is what will make u very sick. acidic content. its very dangerous to have them and if ypu find u do drink lots of water to help wash em out.
Sent from my GT-S5670 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Karen JD

Hi, no I never test for ketones, I've always managed to keep blood sugar fairly low and would only worry (as advised) if they were high for a couple of days or more. I rarely bother to have strips to test anymore as they used to just go out of date.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Do you think it is something all T1s should have?

Do you test at home for ketones when your sugars are high?

Yes, ketones can be rather problematic for us so we should at least keep a close eye on them. I have a few basic rules which I have used for a long time which worked well for me.

1. If I am high (and I consider high anything above 10, usually it would be 12-13+) I will test for ketones,
2. if I am very thirsty or feel sick I test for them too ( you can have low/normal blood sugars with high ketones),
3. if ketones are mid to high I take action immediately. If they are just trace I ignore them, if they are low I will test again within the next few hours. Simple but effective ;)

Would you recommend getting a meter?

I have always just used a urine strip system ever since childhood. Can't say there is anything wrong with it...

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just test with the urine dipsticks, my GP is tight so i doubt i'd be given the meter ones lol. I think its a good idea to test when you are over 13mmol, at least this is what i have been told and followed :)