Urgently need help!

joxy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't think my meds are working!

I am currently on Gliclazide 160mg twice daily.

Last week my sugars were at 28.8 at that point I was on 80mg twice daily. I was not following the low carb diet at that time.

Since reading on here I have been eating the low carb no bread or potato or anything like that.

In fact have eaten bacon and eggs, strawberry and cream, and I have had a banana, satsuma, and a pear. The bloods have gone down to 14 which is better. Yesterday I had 50g of bacon and 2 fried eggs for breakfast. I had two coffees made with semi skimmed milk, then a banana. I did not feel hungry til last night when I again had 32g bacon, 2 fried eggs and 50g tomato (tinned).
that is when the bloods were at 14. I took the bloods at 11pm 14 again and also my meds and had 150 g strawberry and 30g cream, tested agian after 2 hours 14.0. I had 2.50g pear before bed and then at 5 this morning 20g cheese and 86g of satsuma. I took my sugars at 9am this morning 14.4. It is my thoughts that the gliclazide should have kicked in and reduced the sugfars but it does not seem to have done anything.

Am I being paranoid or have they stopped working. Particularly as I have read that gliclazide causes hypos. but is not redycuing the BG level

Indigo

Hi Joxy

I am having a similar thing as I was taken off the metformin as it was making me feel super bad.

Anyway just left with the Gliclazide and getting really erratic readings and much higher than I was getting before.
Fruit particularly seems to be a bit of a problem for me at the moment so I am avoiding that a bit. Thus V. confused about what to eat as a result. So talk to your GP or DN, thankfully I have just got the GP to refer me back
to the hospital to change my meds as am still having side effects as well as the increased and erratic BG levels.

It is not good to be worried about these things and you should be able to eat well without getting paranoid, although easier said than done I know.

Indigo

AMBrennan

It's difficult to evaluate the effect of the medication if you change your diet at the same time.
Is there any particular reason you are not questioning the effectiveness of the diet? Whilst I think that low-carb is over-hyped,banana doesn't sound like a typical low-carb diet.

Unfortunately, many people with T2 diabetes progress to require insulin injections. It is not inconceivable that the medication is working (I.e. it would be even worse without it) whilst being insufficient at the current and/or maximally tolerable dose.

MAMA2X

Hi, I feel for you. You are doing your best to make things better but not getting great results. If it was me I think I would cut out most the fruit just have one piece and not the banana they send me really high and I love them. Tinned tommy's can have a lot of added sugar too sometimes they just call it acidity regulator. I have just bought a carb and fat bible from amazon to help me work out what to eat and what to avoid. Sometimes I just look in the cupboards/fridge and sigh, ahh well its tea time again what can I have :think:

Finzi

Joxy, pears, strawberries and satsumas are not low carb. I'm not saying you shouldn't ever have them, but personally, I wouldn't eat things like that every day, just as a special treat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
AFAIK strawberries are ok, most of the red berry type fruits are, but pears and satsumas are definitely an in moderation thing.

Ali

Finzi

Ali H said:
AFAIK strawberries are ok, most of the red berry type fruits are, but pears and satsumas are definitely an in moderation thing.

Ali

Sorry Ali, you're right, I suppose what I meant to say is that they're not zero carb. 150g strawberries is about 8.5g net carbs. Another measure I've seen is that a good sized strawberry has about 1g carb each. If that fits into your allowance then enjoy! Also, I think adding cream is supposed to help.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fat slows down the effect of the carbs so reducing spikes so yes that is why lots of peeps on here are into their cream.

Ali