SR Metformin

Hendie

When is the best time for you to take it with the least side affects. I have been advised to take mine in the middle of my evening meal, so around 6pm and i have just started on 1000mg.

I'm only on my second day and im feeling pretty awful, should i split the tablet and go to 500mg or move it to a dif time in the day, or just put up with it ?

Thanks
Steve

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I can say is what I do .I was presribed 2x500mg and I take one during breakfast and one during the evening meal. This was how I was told to take it and it works fine for me.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hendie
You must not split a SR tablet if you are having bad reactions to the 1000g pill try asking your GP if you can have the dose in 2 500g so that you can take 1 with breakfast and 1 with your evening meal.
CAROL

Hendie

carty said:
Hi hendie
You must not split a SR tablet if you are having bad reactions to the 1000g pill try asking your GP if you can have the dose in 2 500g so that you can take 1 with breakfast and 1 with your evening meal.
CAROL

I did wonder about if it was acceptable to split the SR tablet or not as they may not have the same quantity of each ingredient in each half, but they have a split line on them for some reason.

I have had enough of a hard time obtaining the SR tablets that im just going to put up with it, whats strange is that the side affects are different of that of the normal metformin. I also wonder if there mite be some die off or herx reaction of the yeast if my blood sugars are lowering.

Thanks
Steve

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What sort of tablets do you have if they are SR metformin they should not have a split line on them .mine are Glucophage 1000g and they have instructions not to break them I would check with your Pharmacy to make sure you have the pills you need
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Glucophage SR and sometimes another make in 500mg tablets and take 2 in the morning and two in the evening. You must not split these tablets. I would ask your GP to change the 1000mg to 2 x 500mg and start with just one 500mg per day until your stomach settles. As someone else has said do check you have the right tablets e.g. Glucophage SR or Bolamyn SR as I'm surprised you are having trouble with the SR version and mine don't have a split line.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I won der if there is more than one mechanism for slow release medication. I take Metformin SR 500mg tabs, two morning, two evening, and the instructions are quite specific... they must not be split or chewed, and the tablets do not have a score line on them. But I also have a heart condition, and one of the medications I take is Monomil XL, a slow release nitrate, of which I take one and a half tablets each morning. The tablets have a split line on them, and break in half easily. The instructions simply state to take with water. Clearly a different mechanism operates in these two different slow release drugs.
The important thing is: read the instructions, and abide by them!

Unbeliever

Even the SR takes a litle while to settle. The consulant old me that as the pills are SR you could yake them in the morning and the effec should last all day.

I don't do this but as they have never had much effec on my levels I like to ake 1g in the morning and the other in the evening.

This is another eample of how individuals vary. It doesn't acually make any difference to me as to when I take them but they do have an effect on others so it would matter.

Many of the instructions for taking medication are only suggesions and not set in stone. Obviously it is a good idea to take them at the same time each day but if i doesn't suit the individual it can be changed. Its just a matter of trying different ways until you find what works for you :with your HCP's knowledge and agreeemnt}
I had a dreadful ime with metformin -even the SR version did not solve all my problems but nowadays it has no effect at all.

Hendie

Oky so the side affects are getting easier as each day goes by which is nice, but still have the usual extra gas ect but i get extra extra gas if i eat carbs so for now im going to stick to very low carbs to ease the side affects.

I can visibly see some benefits already and i have only been on it for 4 days and this being my 5th, the yeast has started to ease up all over my body which is nice :D

I have been taking mine with my evening meal and it is still lasting till my evening meal the next day so far.

Steve

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I have just a prescription for SR metformin, having asked my GP to switch from regular Metformin, though not started new prescription yet, I thought the idea was to ease symptoms that regular Metformin can cause, ie gas and stomach problems, having read this post I am a little concerned. Are there benefits to taking SR then?

Hendie

HpprKM said:
I have just a prescription for SR metformin, having asked my GP to switch from regular Metformin, though not started new prescription yet, I thought the idea was to ease symptoms that regular Metformin can cause, ie gas and stomach problems, having read this post I am a little concerned. Are there benefits to taking SR then?

The difference of SR metformin compared to normal metformin is still 100x more tolerable. I think by the nature of what metformin does that there will be some side affects but hopefully not for long once your body gets used to it on the SR.

Normal metformin for me i had to stop after 1 week as it was too unbearable, but after 5 days on the SR the side affects are by far alot better than the normal metformin.

Steve

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Thanks Steve, will give it a try for sure.

mrawfell

I too quickly gave up on straight Metformin. The side effects became too much. However I was taking it in the morning on an empty stomach. I read on this site the the slow release version, taken with your main meal, usually in the evening, gave much reduced side effects. I have found this to be accurate.

CamilaM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI,
I'm on SR Metformin 1000 but in two 500mg tablets. I found that taking the full dose with my evening meal was not for me as I felt so ill and it lasted through the night. I was advised to take 500 with my breakfast and 500 with my dinner. I follow that nowand though I feel much better doing so, but unfortunately my glucose levels are out of control and are being monitored with the suggestion of taking a further medication with the metformin. - CamilaM

mimo

I started on metformin and got really bad stomach pain so was changed to metformin SR. I take 2 750g in the morning after breakfast which has been really great for me. No problems like I had with the metformin. Do go back to you GP or nurse to get it sorted. Hope all goes ok.

amazinmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i was diagnosed type 2 in september 2012 and prescribed Bolamyn SR500 metformin. the first few weeks i had problems with frequent bowel movements but since that have had no problems whatsoever. my late mum was on ordinary metformin and had lots of problems with it daily bowel problems and feeling sick. :)

helen777

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin seems to be the wonder drug as far as gps are concerned, it doesn't suit everyone. If you are having problems tolerating it you must go back and explain to gp. There are other alternatives, took me me 5 different meds before finding one that my body will tolerate and 18 months eventually it was hospital consultant that helped me.

Joss52

I don't know if I am just very lucky, but I have never had any reaction to Metformin. What are the side effects that others experience? Am I so unusual? I have been on Metformin since I was diagnosed nearly 7 years ago, initially 500mg twice a day but now 1000mg twice a day. About 3-4 years ago Sitagliptin was added as my HbA1C levels were rising above 7, then since it had risen to 8.1 my GP added Glicizide a week ago. All of these without any side-effects which seems different to what everyone else is reporting. Am I very fortunate?

norfolknan

I was diagnosed with T2 about 2 and a half years ago. I was very careful with my diet and lost two stone in weight. Everything was fine until December 2012 when my blood sugar was high and I was told I had to start on metformin. Because I have to eat a low fibre diet I was given the Slow Release Metformin, 500mg for two weeks and then 1000mg to be taken with my evening meal.
I have done this but suffered with headaches, terrible flatulence and nausea but then started having explosive tummy troubles with no warning. I was worried about going out and having to take clean underwear and wipes whenever I went out that I stopped taking the tablets and have an appointment to see my doctor this week.

What I am worried about is the Diabetic Nurse said all other medications come with their own problems, what are the alternatives and what drawbacks do they have.