Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Hello,

I'm starting on my insulin pump on 8th February... I was thinking of making myself a thigh holder or waistband since I can use a sewing machine, but I was wondering if anyone had come across anywhere you could buy them? The normal Bayer ones are a bit dull and boring for me. :wink:

Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to where to wear it in bed? My pyjamas don't really have pockets and I worry I'll get tangled up in it since I don't have a bedside table or anything to sit it on.

Thanks for any help.
Angela

pplprincess5480

Hi,

My daughter is on a pump and I bought her a tummietote belt from Tallygear. It's an American company but the belts are superb. They're made of swimsuit type material so they are really comfortable and keep her pump hidden under her clothes, which is great for school. She sleeps in the belt and is so used to it that she actually got in the bath with it on by accident. The belts are reasonably priced considering how much wear you get out them. Have a look and see what you think. http://www.tallygear.com

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ellecook79

I was asking about these before I got my pump.

I actually bought a stretchy belt to wear arond my waist that you can just clip the pump onto (mine has a belt clip as standard).

In actual fact though through the day I wear my pump clipped to the middle of my bra - this is by far the easiest way and at night I just clip it to the side of my pyjama bottoms or sleep with it just under my pillow (there is enough tubing to be able to roll around a bit without issues).

I honestly think that you should wait until you get your pump and then see what you think might work best - a lot of the sites selling belts or pouches on the internet are in my opinion a rip off - you could easily make yourself the right size belt or pouch if needed.

Good luck with the pump

Elle x

iHs

Hi

I have the Accu chek Combo and simply slide the pump diagonal inside my bra cup (slightly padded bra). Its virtually invisable as far as I know (no one has remarked on it when I have worn a tight fitting t-shirt) and stays there all day long. Of a nightime I put the pump inside a mobile phone type sock which has a neckband and position the pump so that the tube comes out the bottom, therefore if I get up in the night to use the loo or whatever, the pump is with me and I dont need to find it in the bed.

If you fancy something girly to put the pump in at night ......... http://www.ipsox.co.uk/

What you decide to buy greatly depends on the pump you get..... In real life I have met up with other pump users and they either have it in their bra cup or attach it by its clip to the waistband of whatever they are wearing. I would therefore wait to see how you cope with the pump when you get it as you may find that youve spent an awful lot of money on something that you wont really want to bother with. Lots of stuff at home can easily be adapted as well.........

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Thanks so much for the replies. I'll have a look at the links to see what is available, that's really helpful. I think after reading your replies, I'll wait. I might have a clip on the pump already that I can clip to my bottoms or something so I might not need a band to hold it on.

Thanks again! :)

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
I'm on the Accuchek Chek combo and wear it in a holder around my neck. Initially I thought it would be a pain, but it's just fine.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Still wear mine on my arm with tubigrip (supplied on prescription each month). Just cut a piece off, and put on arm... Lay pump on it.. Tube going to elbow and then curve it back up your arm. Lay a 2nd piece of tubigrip over pump. Needs a long tube though.. Mine 100cm as my sets go in bum or legs.
Apart from baths n showers, it never comes off my arm day or night. I never give it a thought. Never have to think to hold pump whilst undressing or whether I am lying on it.
In fact the tubigrip holding it close to my arm keeps it warm when I work outside......
I have recently had a cgm on my other arm and wearing the monitor on my belt...
The only problem I get is when any HCP wants to do a blood pressure check when I have a cgm on one arm and the pump on the other!!
You'll find whats comfy for you, but don't rush in to deciding pre pump... You may be given some things by your hospital. I was.

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Thanks again for all the information. I didn't know I'd get tubigrip on prescription. That sounds really convenient as I could just strap it on... so to speak. I wear a lone worker device around my neck at work and it annoys me so I'm not sure if I'd like the neck ones but I could knit that myself. I've knitted mobile phone holders in the past so it's just getting the number of stitches right to fit. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You just need to makesure pre visit to gp that you checkout what size tubigrip you need so that it is not tight on your arm. I get one 1m length a month and cut it into 4 or 5 strips just long enough to cover pump and the connector and about an inch of tube.
I always 'trap' the pump between the two layers with tube going downward and then bring the tube back up so that it is then trapped between the two layers.
Initially my hubby used to hold pump whilst I brought up the top layer of tubigrip over the pump.. But I soon had it to a tee to do without him holding. The pump sits on outside of my arm between my shoulder and elbow.
You would need longer tubes.. Mine 100cm.

Never had any probs and I know my pump is always pointing downward even in bed.

Tubigrips are washable too, although unless put in a net wash bag they end up in the rubber bit at bottom of the door and then limit the water going on the spin cycle!!

I dont know of anybody else that does it, but I did not get on with wearing on waistband and very rarely wear bras.
A lot more comfortable than tucking in bra under arm too.

You can still use arm without any fear at all, I am a gardener using loppers on trees etc, cutting wisteria above head, and all groundwork and never fear it falling or having to mind it if .. As I do wear trousers majority of the time.

The only thing is you need a remote for your pump.. The roche accuchek pump is perfect.

iHs

Hmmm

Another option for those who do not want to use bra and also not clip the pump to waistband, is to cut the corner off a pocket and put pump in the pocket and thread the tube through the cut off corner and then connect to the infusion set. The pump will be invisable until it is taken out of the pocket to bolus etc and the tube can be easily unclipped from the set.

Becca1102

Hi I have been on Accu-check spirit pump for a few years now and like others above I wear my pump tucked into the centre of my bra. I am quite slim build and often wear tight fitting tops and have never had the pump noticed. It's easy to access to bolus and very comfortable. As for night time, I resorted to buying pj tops/ vests with built in bust shelf and tuck pump into support. Comfy overnight and safe if I get up in the night. I am a fidgety sleeper and neither myself or my husband have ever had a problem with it at night.

Hope that helps

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
All other options require memory to take out of pockets, bras, put into pj's etc... My tubigrip.. Nothing ever...only to check when insulin running low...

AnnaCollis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using a Medtronic Paradigm pump for two years and I accidentally damaged the case that came with the pump. I purchased a Blackberry phone case with a magnetic catch, BIG BIG MISTAKE !!!! The magnet killed the pump motor and left me in the lurch for 2 days. I rang Medtronic and explained the case issue and they posted me a new case, thank heavens.

Head-Banger

Hi, when I first went on to insulin delivered by pump, I was given a chamois leather type holder for the pump [Accuchek D-Tron Plus] and have slowly accumulated 2 or three ........ either cream or dark blue.

I always wear this holder on a 8mm wide 1mm thick cloth strap and slung around my neck so that the pump hangs down [if I let it] to about level with my belly button or lower.
I use a 70cm line from pump to tender [cannula].
I have done this for about seven years now and the holders are still as good as new.

I know that some people would rather strap this holder to their waist-belt or what-have-you but I MUCH prefer having the pump just below or at chest level.
Now, that is O.K. for me as a man ... and at seventy-four, nearly, it matters not to me that the pump is giving me a lump in my shirt's breast pocket.
It is very convenient for pulling out the pump and ckecking up or putting in instructions.
It is rather like having a fob-watch high up in a waistcoat.

I always buy shirts with TWO breast pockets nowadays because I also have a pacemaker fitted and so I need to keep the pump sufficiently far [day AND night] away from the implanted device which is just below the shoulder and above my heart.

At night I find that a night-shirt is the most comfortable garment to wear to bed and, thanks to my good lady, there are two breast pockets sewn onto those garments.
Having the pump held in place on the right hand side of my chest and on a longish strap allows me to slide the pump [in its holder in its pocket] under my right arm-pit and there it is protected from my involuntary movements whilst asleep ... as much as is possible, anyway.

This is my first try at using this forum and I hope that I have not made a fool of myself here, but the answer to this problem you pose [and to many others associated with using a pump, pills, glucose meter, etc., etc.] is to experiment until you find what will suit YOU.

Of course, you need to approach all experiments from the point of view of "What is safe" but also bearing in mind that NO-ONE ... Doctors and Nurnses included ... knows all the solutions and, as past experience has taught me, they frequently modify their instructions and advice over time as they themselves learn the business of catering for people with different types of Diabetes which, again as time passes, gradually need to be attended to in slightly different ways from earlier in each patient's life.

Any Use?

Tom