Metformin

chris17

Has any one else experienced this?
I have been taking metformin for 4 years 2 500gm tabs BD . For the past 4 weeks i have had an upset tummy and loose stools . I have been to the Dr who has referred me but does not think its my medication . I think it is Has any one else had this and whats the alternative medication

Have you recently changed your diet or otherwise been sick, ill, or traveled. The longer you have been on a medication without the side effect, the less likely it would be-- but not out of the realm.

lismellou

Hi Chris - my husband suffers from this about once every 10 days or so, it is very severe for about 24 hours and then he is fine, I find if he overdoes the sugar a few days before it usually has this effect. He is one metformin, 2 tablets twice a day. hope this helps. he is fine afterwards.

chris17

Have you recently changed your diet or otherwise been sick, ill, or traveled. The longer you have been on a medication without the side effect, the less likely it would be-- but not out of the realm.

Thank you for your reply No nothing has changed and no illness or travel that is what is so odd. with this loose stool i also have itchy skin its not all the time but enough to bother me when it starts. i dont feel ill either and my weight remains the same

chris17

lismellou said:
Hi Chris - my husband suffers from this about once every 10 days or so, it is very severe for about 24 hours and then he is fine, I find if he overdoes the sugar a few days before it usually has this effect. He is one metformin, 2 tablets twice a day. hope this helps. he is fine afterwards.

Thank you for you reply I did think that it was christmas over eat that could have up set me but i didnt over do the sugar and after the christmas day I returned to my good eating habits. May be it will settle again but you cant help but worry

elviscole

is it the normal metformin or the slow release metformim?
i used to be on the normal and it gave me a dodgy stomach, Dr said it wasnt the metformin and prescribed me 100 loperamide (immodium) a month :shock:
went on for a bit and i managed to get changed over to the slow release metformin and the problems went away over night

chris17

elviscole said:
is it the normal metformin or the slow release metformim?
i used to be on the normal and it gave me a dodgy stomach, Dr said it wasnt the metformin and prescribed me 100 loperamide (immodium) a month :shock:
went on for a bit and i managed to get changed over to the slow release metformin and the problems went away over night

Thank you for your reply I am on normal metformin

Cultivator

Hi There,

I had similar trouble when I got a different brand of metformin tablets - supposedly exactly the same stuff but I suffered side effects I had't had for years! A friend who gets hers from the same surgery had the same problem - tot he point where she stopped taking them ... we have asked the pharmacist to go back to the original brand for us - and the problem seems to be solved (for now, anyway)

Have you had a change of brand / packet at all??