Statins!

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question...

Are there many under 50's here? If so, is anyone on statins?

I'm 31 and have just been advised to take statins even before trying to lower my cholesterol with diet?? Everyone I have spoken to have told me that they don't know anyone else so young on them :(

Please someone help me feel a tiny bit better about it ;( x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
Statins can be given to all age groups if needed its just that with certain medical conditions they are prescribed as a kick start to assist lowering of cholesterol. I was diagnosed as late onset T2 @ 40 & was put on a small dosage 10mg statin immediately & 10 years later i'm still only upto 20mg

Sent from my GT-I9100P using DCUK Forum mobile app

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Sadly, Type 2 diabetes, previously associated with late middle age, is becoming more common in younger people.

Is your cholesterol high? Maybe you should go back to your GP, ask him/her to go through your full lipid profile with you and explain just why you need to take them? They are very helpful for many people; a few of us (like me) get side-effects we can't cope with. With any luck, you may just take a pill every morning and know nothing more about it except for reduced cholesterol levels.

Statins are one of the drugs (the other is blood pressure medication) that they seem to prescribe for us regardless; that always makes me suspicious! :D

Viv 8)

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I don't know the breakdown he just said its high.. I think I'm just going to take it. My mum and dad are both on them and neither get side effects So I'm just praying that I'm one of the lucky ones that like you said just take a pill and don't notice!

I was just having a bit of a wobble yesterday as I wanted to try and stay off them for as long as possible really x

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed statins in my 40s, one of a number of meds because I had a severe heart problem the cause of which was unknown. Contrary to what I was told, the problem righted itself, much to the surprise of the consultant who said, 'We don't normally see this. I've never seen it happen before'.

And therein lies the problem for me, do I continue to take the meds 10 years on or do I give them up on the basis that the problem has gone away?

Well, now that I have diabetes, through having a sweet tooth after giving up smoking, I'll continue with them but see what happens when I have lost all my excess weight. The different foods I now eat should make a big difference. I shouldn't need statins if I keep up with the new regime. But, my GP prefers statistics and suggests that I stick with them because, 'statistically, you will live longer'.

There is no attempt to diagnose these things with precision, they don't have the time. That's why they go for the 'statistically' safe option. Doesn't mean that you can't get it down through your own efforts, but you have to be serious about it.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See I've also been diagnosed with a heart condition, a left bundle branch block, so I'm guessing they are just doing it for my own good! I was told at my DEAL course that once on them you can't come off them?? Is that not the case then? Guess that's what I'm more bothered about...

I feel like a brat throwing her tots out the pram as I'm struggling with such a change In my life!!

You guys are definitely helping me feel better though!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Well Jaxx01 and Yorksman

I have gone through 5 heart attacks, a quintuple bypass and a total heart transplant in the last 21 years, 18 years now post heart TX.

I was put on statins in the early days, and through total ignorance took them with all the usual terrible and unecassary side effects.

I haven't taken a statin for 16 years now, and I feel champion, my poor consultant at Papworth toes the nhs patrty line of prescribing this ( IMHO ) dreadfully dangerous drug, filling everybodies pockets. I have had all the usual tests over the years, no change.

All this nonsense is down to the criminal lipid hypothesis started by Ancel Keys who cooked the books many years ago ! and the pharmaceutical companies realising that they were on to a good thing have been riding the gravy train ever since.

ASK your gp for definitive evidence supported by CLINICAL trials that PROVES beyond a shadow of doubt that statins prevent CVD events ! If they give you that evidence PLEASE tell me.

Please read Barry Groves, Dr Malcolm Kendrick, Lars-Erik Litsfeldt, Gary Taubes and many more.

I could go on but I suspect that I have said enough....

Superchip

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your input. It does good to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I have pointed out to my GP that if you keep prescribing statins to people who don't need them, then the statistics are going to look better than stats made of from 100% poorly people. It's a biased sample set which skews the result. They effect is the same as the opinion poll for the general election in 1964 which put the Conservatives in the lead. The pollsters conducted the poll by telephone and, back in those days, people who could afford telephones tended to be better off tory party voters. The sample set was biased and the inference skewed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jaxx01 said:
Thanks guys. I don't know the breakdown he just said its high.. I think I'm just going to take it. My mum and dad are both on them and neither get side effects So I'm just praying that I'm one of the lucky ones that like you said just take a pill and don't notice!

I was just having a bit of a wobble yesterday as I wanted to try and stay off them for as long as possible really x

Jaxx, ask for a full lipid breakdown of your cholesterol from your gp, you will have to fast for 10-12 hours before the test but it will give you a fuller picture of your cholesterol levels.

Here are the target recommended cholesterol levels for people living with diabetes:

Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.

LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.

HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.

Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.

If you want to discuss statins and the risks of high cholesterol and heart disease then the British Heart Foundation is a good place to start, here is their website:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/#&panel1-3

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lower your cholesterol naturally and quickly whilst getting the added benefit of dietary fibre and omega 3,iron,zinc and free radical fighting lignans...
Its all in flaxseed my friend, oil or milled.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was prescribed statins probably late 30's, cant remember exact age.

I had problems with health after taking rhem but only realised fully in last few years.

All my HCP's are fully aware that I have tried every statin from the cheapy simvastatin upward... And they dont bother even mentioning them to me anymore.

Infact, I asked my new gp for a cholesterol test, and he just requested a total.. Not ldl or hdl, the nurse said he always doing that.. So he either doesnt know or doesnt care about hdl/ldl!!!

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaxx01 said:
Quick question...

Are there many under 50's here? If so, is anyone on statins?

I'm 31 and have just been advised to take statins even before trying to lower my cholesterol with diet?? Everyone I have spoken to have told me that they don't know anyone else so young on them :(

Please someone help me feel a tiny bit better about it ;( x

Hey, I'm 21 and on statins :wave: Total cholesterol was 6.1 which doc said was too high for a diabetic so it needed to be lowered and put me on 40mg simvastatin daily. I've been on them about 5 months now and no problems as of yet. Got my 6 month check up in March so we'll see how they've worked :)

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on simvastatin 40 aswell! I'm curious as to how long side effects take to show?? I've heard some horrible stories and slightly concerned lol

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My total cholesterol was 5.2, was put on statins by an Endo (not my GP who hadn't prescribed them up to this point). My levels went down to 3.0 and I decided not to take them as I felt this was too low. I go back to my GP on Thursday for my Annual Review and will find out what my cholesterol level is and whether he says anything about not taking them.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I add if anyone is reading this who wants an alternative to statins I had great results with african mango.
I just thought it may help anbody who is facing high cholesterol and needs to burn some excess fat. Try it for 3 months and see if it works for you.